How to keep newborn kittens alive? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-05-2009, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of our barn cats had babies. They were crying and she wasnt going to them so we checked on them, two dead, three ice cold. Brought them in, warmed them up, tried dropper feeding them goat milk replacer cuz its what we had. Went online found out there is kitten milk replacer and kitten sized bottles so off to walmart,came back and one was beyond help. I tried adn tried to just get the milk in him, it didnt help. The other two will chew a little and swallow when I squirt the milk in from dropper, even those tiny bottles are too big. I also found out you have to help them poop in the beginning so we did that(with cottonballs dipped in warm water to wipe thier butts, its amazing, the poop just comes right out). Anyway, I feel guilty cuz I think I did three no no's: fed something other than kitten milk replacer, fed when they might have not been fully warmed and lifted heads to do it (this can make them aspirate) and wondering if I killed the one. FIL kept them very warm while we were gone so thats not it. Have let mama in twice, first time she wouldnt have anything to do with babies, second time she did lick them and lie down but they couldnt seem to latch and she wouldnt stop wiggling so they could. And she doesnt look like she has milk. Most mama cats have those big teats hanging down, hers are flat agianst her chest. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom? Trying so hard to save the other two. Frankly this is not how my vacation was suppose to go! I took time off so I could rest and catch up on my sleep....and here I am, already woke myself up once for the feeding, guess I'll be getting up every two hours for my whole vacation! Oh well, what else can I do? I cant NOT help them! These two can be pretty vocal and they are crawling around when awake so I am hopeful. They still have pretty long pieces of cord attached and though Im not that familiar with baby cat poop, Im pretty sure it looked like meconium to me, putting them within thier first few days. I know that after day three or four, they are MUCH easier to keep alive by a human, under that, its very hard to do. Am really trying though.

So sleepy!

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#2 of 7 Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 AM

Sounds like you are doing all you can. It will be hard for them to live because kittens are so fragile. :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 7 Old 04-05-2009, 10:42 AM

Sounds like you are doing a good job. Kittens are so hard

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#4 of 7 Old 04-05-2009, 03:15 PM

Sounds like you're doing all you can. Is there anyone who can help you with the feedings, trade off so your up every 4 hours instead of every 2?

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#5 of 7 Old 04-05-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, at 8am I gave them to fil and went back to bed util nearly one pm!!! He has worked on farms all his life, he's actually way better at feeding them than I am, I feel like Im force feeding, he gets them to nurse from the dropper! So they are his now!! We'll probally just trade off, especially at night. I tend to be a niight owl anyway so when he goes to bed at nine, I'll just take care of them til around two or so then go give them to him or even get up once more at fourish and then take htem to him....

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#6 of 7 Old 04-05-2009, 05:35 PM

That's wonderful of you and FIL to take such loving care of these little critters.

Any chance of getting MamaCat fixed?

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#7 of 7 Old 04-05-2009, 05:40 PM

They're lucky to have people who care so much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page