Mothering Forum banner

natural pet care products/pet food

1K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  huskermommy 
#1 ·
Any tried and true brands? We're looking to adopt a puppy and want to pick a good shampoo, etc.

Our cat is on Innova and I'm assuming EVO is the next best thing to raw???

TIA!!

#2 ·
I like California Natural, none of my dogs have ever done good on Innova for some reason. I like Pinnacle, too. And Eagle Holistic.

Nature's Specialties is good shampoo. I really love it and it's very gentle and gets great results. I have been using it on our show dogs for years and really love it. Plum Silky smells AWESOME.
They have a whole line, I use Hypo-Aloe-Genic on my puppies and young dogs and allergic dogs. I use All Systems conditioner, or Coat Handler. All Systems has a Botanical conditioner that is wonderful.

#3 ·
While Innova is a good food, depending on the breed, it is not the best. For instance, Great Danes need a diet that is around 12% fat and 20-22% protein. Innova is 25%+ depending on the type and Evo is 42%. Too high of protein for a large/giant breed dog can have deadly consequences. Make sure that the breed you chose can handle these ratios.

#4 ·
Thanks for all the great pet care recommendations! Can you find any of these products in stores or do I need to find them online?

I didn't even realize that information about different breeds and diet requirements. Thanks! I will make sure that is something we look into before we make a decision.

#5 ·
Hm... Ok, we are seriously considering a cocker spaniel from a reputable breeder here. Most things I have come across say no commercial food and only feed raw. I'm looking for the 'next best thing' to raw. Any suggestions?

#6 ·
Cockers are notorious for having health problems....If you are dead set on kibble, I would feed Innova or California Natural. I have fed both and they are both good foods. Like I said in my previous post, check out the breed and see if they have an special diet restricions so you don't end up with more trouble.

ETA: why are you against raw feeding?? also, the breeder may have a specific diet as well. My friend and also Great Dane breeder has a clause to only raw feed her pups...so that is something to look into as well.

#7 ·
not really a *pet line* but I often use burts bees on our dogs. They have natural products like shampoo and such. Our dogs smell so good and Im not pouring all these chemicals/pesticides like other pet products. Just be careful that the ingredients (which they list online and on the products) are safe for your dog if there is a possiblity they might ingest it.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
ETA: why are you against raw feeding?? also, the breeder may have a specific diet as well. My friend and also Great Dane breeder has a clause to only raw feed her pups...so that is something to look into as well.
Angie- I did not even *think* to ask the breeder! I am not against raw at all. When we had our german shepherd we fed her a raw diet. I truly think it is the best. I just found myself getting completely overwhelmed by it. I wasn't sure I knew what I was doing, the dog made a huge mess every time, etc.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it??

#9 ·
Your Cocker will become a huge mess, too. THink ear furnishings, leg furnishings... all will get full of raw food. <gag> I show coated dogs and this is one reason I hate raw.

I really like Cal Natural for many breeds, and your Cocker should do really well on it. It's made by the same company as Innova and is really good quality. Another kibble I like, that I would say is closest to Raw, is Nature's Recipe, I think it's called. It's been a while. But they also make raw. My friend owns a natural pet food store and I know she has told many customers who don't like raw that this kibble is the next best thing to raw. Again, I am not sure of the name... I have been up all night with a croupy kiddo. But it used to have a Golden Retriever on the logo... Nature's something. I know there is a really crappy food with a name that is close so I don't want to make a mistake here... I will try and go look it up. Nature's Specialty, maybe? BRB

NATURE"S VARIETY. That's it. SOrry, I have had no sleep and am so out of it. But that one has a raw food coating on it or something, I remember my friend saying to someone. I did try it and like it for a while. But I always go back to Eagle Holistic or Cal Nat.

#10 ·
I hear you on the raw - we did raw with our pup for awhile and it was to the point where i spent more time on her food than on our own. We feed kibble and supplement with raw meaty bones as snack. That way we get the dental benefits at least.

Nature's variety is good but was hard to find where we lived.

I just got the cat on Orijen. It seems like good stuff, so we'll see how he does on it.

#11 ·
Quote:
Angie- I did not even *think* to ask the breeder! I am not against raw at all. When we had our german shepherd we fed her a raw diet. I truly think it is the best. I just found myself getting completely overwhelmed by it. I wasn't sure I knew what I was doing, the dog made a huge mess every time, etc.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it??
It is not as easy as kibble, that's for sure. Have you thought about trying to find a local supplier? I know of 4 or 5 stores in my town that sells the raw diet. My friend that I spoke about in a previous post (that has GD's) packages and delivers the meat to your door! Do a little checking around, it might surprise you. Perhaps you could find a support group in your area, they might know of a good supplier and also give you support for the diet. It can be overwhelming if you think about it too much. Sometimes you just have to throw it in a bowl and let them go. I taught my dogs to eat over their bowls so we never had a mess unless we were feeding a large bone in which case, they ate outside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
Your Cocker will become a huge mess, too. THink ear furnishings, leg furnishings... all will get full of raw food. <gag> I show coated dogs and this is one reason I hate raw.
That makes sense. I have only had short/med hair breeds and never had a mess but I can understand with a cocker's ears. What about those bandana like things like they put on Afgan Hounds when they eat to keep their ears from getting nasty??

#12 ·
Ok, trying to absorb all of this!

I was thinking the same thing about tying the ears back. I read that you should practice doing that with your puppy anyway so they get comfortable with it in case they need to get some air circulation to their ears.

Maybe we could do a mix... Mostly kibble with carrots, RMB (outside), etc. for treats and snacks. ???

Is EVO out than?

#13 ·
It's my understanding from talking to Natura that EVO is not formulated for puppies, the Ca:p ratio can mess up bone growth. It's fine for adult dogs (dogs done growing).

California Natural is a great food if you want to feed kibble. You can always switch to EVO once your new puppy is done growing.

#14 ·
Raw is not very complicated, although some people make it that way. We can help with that I'm sure. A friend of mine has a cocker and has seen such a huge improvement with her ears and skin once they switched to raw that she now recommends it to all cocker owners. If I recall she had a snood for her girl to keep her clean - I know a few long haired sighthound owners too who do a similar thing.

My two don't get very messy unless we're feeding a messy meal. A regular chicken leg is nothing - even if it's touched their legs (which most of the time it doesn't) they lick it a few times and it's clean. For a long haired pup I'd think a wipe with a wet washcloth would take care of most issues. But like I said, mostly they just pick it up and chew, no other body parts involved.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by huskermommy View Post

Maybe we could do a mix... Mostly kibble with carrots, RMB (outside), etc. for treats and snacks. ???
You are not suppose to mix raw and kibble together. Kibble takes about 24 hours to digest and raw only about 4. That is why dogs can eat raw meat and not get sick, b/c it digests so fast. If you feed them together, the stomach digests the kibble first b/c it is harder and the raw will sit in the gut and get rancid and can make the dog sick. So it's best to stick with all kibble or all raw.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
You are not suppose to mix raw and kibble together. Kibble takes about 24 hours to digest and raw only about 4. That is why dogs can eat raw meat and not get sick, b/c it digests so fast. If you feed them together, the stomach digests the kibble first b/c it is harder and the raw will sit in the gut and get rancid and can make the dog sick. So it's best to stick with all kibble or all raw.
oh dear, I heard differently. Can you feed raw in the morning and kibble at night?

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post
oh dear, I heard differently. Can you feed raw in the morning and kibble at night?
I'm talking about mixing raw and kibble together at the same meal. That can cause major problems. Ideally you should stick with one or the other but if you must do both, then do as the previous poster suggested.

#18 ·
I think you can do raw in the morning and kibble at night, or vice versa. I know people who do that, and I know people who do kibble only but give RMB's as snacks. I've done that in the past, too. I just can't do raw anymore. Eew.

My one dog did do really good on it, though... he was the only one. The others lost too much weight and coat. In a heavy coated breed, I don't like it. Or maybe it was just my dogs. They needed some kind of carbs to grow hair. It seemed the body would sacrifice hair over body.. which of course makes sense.

But if your breeder has got it down, then she can give you the program. If her dogs are growing enough coat to win, then good for her. Also, ask her about the snoods... she may even put stockings on her dogs to protect leg furnishings, too. I know a lot of people who do that. Just too much bother for me, I'm afraid, especially when there are really great kibbles out there that keep my dogs in winning shape!

#19 ·
Yes, I did not mean feeding raw and kibble at the same meal. Rather saving the rmb's for snacks/treats. I don't know what's going to happen now since the puppy I wanted is now taken.
Otherwise there's a wheaten I'm looking at though he is much more $$ and I've never had a male before. All these decisions! I guess it's what pet ownership is all about!

#20 ·
OH! I vote for the Wheaten over the Cocker!!! Hands down!!! You will be so much happier with that choice, IMHO.

ANd the boys make the BEST pets! IF I could have any sort of breeding program and only have boys.... I would. But I HAVE to have girls. Would much rather have boys. I tell all my puppy people that BOYS make the best pets. Neutered Boys. That's the kennel of my dreams. Wouldn't get very far, though, would I?

#21 ·
Well you just made my mind up!! You are the millionth person to say this to me! My husband is still a little weary about the penis/humping thing but I think if we neuter early we'll be in good shape!

:

#22 ·
girls hump, too. It's not sexual at all, but then there will be a huge mess of people here who will jump on me if I write the D- word. Talk to your breeder about your concerns, and they can put your mind at ease. Wonder if it's anyone I know?
I am a terrier person, so I might...

Boy wheatens are the BEST. Just the best. You will NOT be sorry. I can't believe you were thinking of a Cocker when you could have a Wheatie boy!
:

#23 ·
If you do get the Wheatie boy I would not advise neutering early. The growth plates in the long bones of the legs don't close soon enough and your dog's legs grows more gangly and out of proportion than they should. We had a dobe that we neutered at four or five months of age...never again would I do that to a dog. His legs were too long, he looked like a characature (sp?) of a doberman!
He looked kinda goofy. My mom owned his littermate and had him neutered later and his legs looked correct and in proportion to the rest of his body. I would wait to do a neuter until at least one year of age...maybey longer...here is an interesting link:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

Good luck with your decision!

#24 ·
It's true that does happen, but in a Wheaten, it wouldn't be that noticeable.

Most vets say after 6 months, and that is plenty early enough, I would say.
I have seen Dobes, Rotties, Labs, etc. like the one the PP mentioned and it does indeed look kind of strange. A great dog can look like a poorly bred one.

#25 ·
Oh my goodness... Thanks for the info.

ETA: We did not neuter our male cat, nor our last female dog. However, since I am purchasing this little guy from a breeder, our contract states that he has to be neutered. I will try to time it so it is best for everyone involved. Oh, btw, our cat is strictly indoors so don't worry he is not producing any litters!

#26 ·
Ask your breeder about when she advises neutering. She will know what the good age is for that breed.

You are going to ADORE that dog, is my prediction, btw. I think they are awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.