Mothering Forum banner

Most annoying cat in the world will not stop meowing

649 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  RockStarMom 
#1 ·
So when I moved into my apartment, there was this huge stray cat who was basically living on my patio. When I realized there were ferals around, I started feeding them from my patio so, of course, he gets fed there now as well. My 3 year old named him Tiger.
So we've been bonding since September, and he is desperate for attention and affection, but easily gets terrified. So he'll come inside for a while, then remember he's in a house with people and flip out and want to go outside. Then repeat the process. Over and over. And I have always been completely gentle and patient with him, always careful not to startle him or anything. He's never spent the night inside because he's too scared to. And whenever he wants to come inside, he meows. Once he's inside(which takes about 5 minutes of coaxing him and reassuring him), he meows unless I'm petting him. When he needs to go back outside, he meows. So the past few nights he's done the in-and-out thing until it's 2 AM and I am in bed and not up for playing in-and-out anymore. So after his last freak-out, he's outside. Then he starts meowing. So the last few nights, he's meowed for 20 minutes straight several times during the night. And it is SO FLIPPING ANNOYING. Wakes me up. Woke the neighbor up. And cats aren't even allowed here so I could get in trouble if someone complains. I've already asked/begged all my friends and family members to adopt him.
His best friend, a little feral girl, disappeared a week ago(another post about that) so I think he may be needier suddenly because of that.
So I guess I just needed to vent. But if anyone has advice for getting a cat to shut up, please give it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Are these cats all neutered? I would consider contacting a TNR group. Definitely, if you're going to feed a feral cat you need to make sure it's neutered otherwise it really only increases their ability to breed.

Otherwise, as far as the meowing goes, definitely if somebody responds to him he will continue meowing. Do your best to ignore him (same advice to the neighbor) and after several days he will stop trying to get attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.