Do NOT feed your dog asparagus!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-21-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My pug is a veggie lover, so when I was eatting some asparagus and he was begging for some it didn't occur to me it would be bad to give it to him. I was a good doggy mommy and made him wait until I was done eatting, made him sit etc.....

Then that night (last night) we wet the bed right where he was sleeping....and it stinks. He's never wet the bed before so it must be because asparagus is a diuretic........but boy oh boy i've never smelled such stinky dog pee. Luckily it didn't get too far into the matress because he was sleeping on top of two comforters and they soaked most of it up. Our room is still airing out with many fans and the windo wide open.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#2 of 18 Old 04-21-2009, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I thought you were going to comment on asaragus' aphrodisiac qualities!
Happy wash day to you!
#3 of 18 Old 04-21-2009, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought you were going to say that it was bad for them or something. We just gave one of our dogs a bunch of asparagus last week (some of the snapped-off ends). Luckily no pee on the bed for us!

Hope your room airs out well!
#4 of 18 Old 04-21-2009, 03:43 PM

I think my gordon would revolt if I refused to let him have the ends. He generally eats upwards of a half a pound at a time if I let him. He LOVES it! Sorry about the peeing though! Asparagus pee stinks even if you're not a dog.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#5 of 18 Old 04-21-2009, 07:12 PM

Yeah, it does that to my pee too.... :

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#6 of 18 Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 PM

My DH would kill me if he ever found out that I posted this, so shhhh, guys!

DH had never been a big veggie eater before we got together, so he was in his mid-twenties before he ever had aparagus.

The day after I made him some for the first time, he came home from work kind of upset. I asked him what was wrong a few times, and he just said nothing, so I let it go.

When I was in the shower that night he came into the bathroom and said "I think I'm sick." I got out of the shower, worried and stood next to him beside the toilet. He held his head down and started to pee, then looked at me, with big, wounded eyes and said "You smell that? What do you think is wrong with me?"

So, long story short, it's not just dogs. And I hope your room airs out properly!

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#7 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 04:42 AM

Yeah, it does that to people too.
Some people can't smell it though, aparently there's a special gene for it (or so I read)
#8 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 AM

lol ew! I thought it would end up being bad for them too! Something that actually is bad for them are Grapes, I would've never thought that!

SAHM to my baby girl Ella (12/09) wife to the love of my life practicing/believing in
#9 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantaja View Post
My DH would kill me if he ever found out that I posted this, so shhhh, guys!

DH had never been a big veggie eater before we got together, so he was in his mid-twenties before he ever had aparagus.

The day after I made him some for the first time, he came home from work kind of upset. I asked him what was wrong a few times, and he just said nothing, so I let it go.

When I was in the shower that night he came into the bathroom and said "I think I'm sick." I got out of the shower, worried and stood next to him beside the toilet. He held his head down and started to pee, then looked at me, with big, wounded eyes and said "You smell that? What do you think is wrong with me?"

So, long story short, it's not just dogs. And I hope your room airs out properly!
This is a totally awesome story hehehe!! I always think of the part in the movie Elf where one of the writers proposes a story idea: "It's about a tribe of asparagus children who are self conscious...because their pee smells funny..."

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#10 of 18 Old 05-07-2011, 05:04 AM

Location: Weird... Google led me here... I asked about dogs and asparagus.... Hehe
Hi, from Toronto!...

I have a 4 yo rescue from New Orleans... He loves asparagus!!!!
I only buy it when it grows in the spring... Maybe that's natures' sign....
(He only "goes" in his spot!!!!)

If you have a puppy (untrained), I WOULD NOT feed him/her asparagus.....
#11 of 18 Old 06-11-2011, 07:07 AM

hahaha this is a funny one!!  sorry about the accident of course!  love asparagus but hate what it does to our pee!

Me (35) + DH (35) + DS (06/12) + ? (08/14)
#12 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Ohh I hadn't thought about this... and I have dogs that love to eat all sorts of veggies especially if I am eating them already.

#13 of 18 Old 08-29-2013, 07:26 PM

Who peed the bed? You said "Then that night (last night) we wet the bed right where he was sleeping" and I'm wondering - did y'all pee the bed and blame it on the dog again? Shame on you!!! I fart and blame the dog all the time - but I never thought of peeing somewhere - and blaming the dog. And how did y'all pee where he was sleeping without waking him? I don't think either of my dogs would have slept through that. Thanks for the tip - I'm eating asparagus as I type this so - I'll let you know how it works out. :-)

#14 of 18 Old 02-09-2014, 05:30 PM

A few bites of the raw stalk or cooked won't hurt remember everything in moderation. Never give your PUG all they want,dog2.gif they would pop I know my three would!!.

#15 of 18 Old 04-15-2014, 01:36 PM

Asparagus contains glutathione (strong antioxidant) known to have detoxifying properties. It is cleaning out toxins:) which cause the unwelcomed smell :/

#16 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillymum View Post
I thought you were going to comment on asaragus' aphrodisiac qualities!
oh, that's why the darn thing is so expensive!
#17 of 18 Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
My pug is a veggie lover, so when I was eatting some asparagus and he was begging for some it didn't occur to me it would be bad to give it to him. I was a good doggy mommy and made him wait until I was done eatting, made him sit etc.....<br><br>
Then that night (last night) we wet the bed right where he was sleeping....and it stinks. He's never wet the bed before so it must be because asparagus is a diuretic........but boy oh boy i've never smelled such stinky dog pee. Luckily it didn't get too far into the matress because he was sleeping on top of two comforters and they soaked most of it up. Our room is still airing out with many fans and the windo wide open.
Dosage is very essential for dogs its increase his health and joint capability . the can always fit. i want to know you about best product for dogs dosage and his joint pain. Glucosamine for Dogs with Chondroitin to help rebuild and repair the damaged cartilage in dog's joints. Osteo-Pet® Professional Joint Formula available on buy one get one free offer. for more information you can visit on our website @ http://www.marvelousproducts.com/glu...t-formula.html
#18 of 18 Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hahaha I thought it was something really bad for them; I'm sorry about the comforter. anyways , How old is your pug?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page