Mothering Forum banner

Dog pooping in house

518 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Ola_ 
#1 ·
Help! My dog is pooping in the house. She seems to only go once a day- is this normal? I fed her at 8:30 and then took her out around 9. She usually goes around 9:30. When I walked by the girls room i noticed a stink and sure enough- she had pooped up there. *ugh*

Am I missing her signal? She goes out to pee at 7:45 and then I walk her at 8:15 or so. Then she eats and we got out again.

Yesterday, she barked and ran to her leash, which is when I took her out.
She didn't do that today.

*ugh* I praise her when she goes outside. what else to do?

Oh, I do try and keep the girls door closed and I gate the stairs but she can break the gate down.

Help! SHe is 2 yrs old and has been with us 3 weeks

#2 ·
Sounds like too much freedom too fast. DO you have a crate? Going out of your sight may simply mean she was punished previously for pooping.

The reason I ask about a crate is when I was housetraining my girl I would take her out and if she did not poop I would keep her right next to me or crate her. Then I would try again in 15-20 minutes.

I would treat this dog like a puppy and not allow her to make mistakes. This means lots of supervision inside and praise and treats for going outside.

#3 ·
:

She may be digesting slowly, and your missing her cues when she does have to go. Keep her with you for a couple of days. Even if that means putting her on a leash around your belt loop.

The other thing is that if you've only had her three weeks someone may have been scoldering her when she pooped in the house, and now she runs to hide to poo. You can of course reverse that with praise, but you'll have to watch her for awhile.

#4 ·
Yes - after only 3 weeks she is still learning about your routine. I would crate or keep her on leash and loop it through your belt loop. This way you can keep an eye on her and learn her potty signals. Also, the more often she potties outside and gets praised for it, the more that will become the habit, rather than pottying inside being a habit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.