HSUS please read - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here is another link sent to me by a good breeder-friend. Important to read if you plan to contribute to HSUS. Donate to local shelters to help real animals in need and not support animal rights agendas.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19463509/detail.html

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#2 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To be fair and balanced, also check out the HSUS response to this story:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19470562/detail.html

It's pretty interesting where the "Center for Consumer Freedom" gets its funding. I'm not a total animal rights advocate, but some industries like cock fighting? Completely cruel, inhumane, and disgusting.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 01:46 PM

CCF was bankrolled by Philip Morris who made their fortune by killing hundreds of thousands of Americans every year.

While some of their message I may agree with (I am not a fan of the Food Police necessarily) I find it ironic they are questioning the motives and finances of HSUS when they themselves keep their donations secret. I mean Pot meet Kettle you know?
#4 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yes but even if you don't agree with some of their policies... can you ignore PETA and HSUS's true motive to take your pets away in the long term? Anti-breed legislation, anti-breeder legislation? It's pretty darn scary...

And when you consider that PETA kills so many of the animals they "rescue," I think it's clear whose side to be on... at least for me. But it's not a debate.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#5 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 03:20 PM

Well, if you don't want to debate, you don't have to, but you shouldn't throw out inflammatory statements and then expect not to be challenged. I don't agree with all of PETA's and HSUS's positions, but I also don't believe that they are out to take our pets away from us, either. I think there's a lot of good that they do to bring attention to the excesses and abuses of those who make money off exploiting animals -- and yes, that includes many breeders, as well as many other categories of industry.

I also think that the human obsession with having animals look a certain way through selective breeding -- even if that look is greatly to the individual animal's detriment, and causes a lot of physical issues from genetic defects getting fixed in the population -- is absurd and selfish. It is beyond ridiculous that certain breeds of dogs can't even birth their own babies any more but have to have c-sections because of human breeding.

I agree that people should support their local shelters financially and through adoptions, and I also think that pet owners should obtain their pets from shelters rather than from breeders. When there are so many animals that have to be euthanized every year because there aren't homes for them, the system is seriously out of whack.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#6 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
I don't agree with all of PETA's and HSUS's positions, but I also don't believe that they are out to take our pets away from us,
Actually there is nothing they would like more....

"You don't have to own squirrels and starlings to get enjoyment
from them ... One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the
breeding of animals. [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in
the wild .. they would have full lives, not wasting at home for
someone to come home in the evening and pet them and then sit
there and watch TV," -- Ingrid Newkirk (President of PETA)
#7 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
HSUS has blossomed under Wayne Pacelle's leadership. There are a lot of people with big financial interests in exploiting animals who wish to destroy HSUS effectiveness.
#8 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl In The Fire View Post
Actually there is nothing they would like more....

"You don't have to own squirrels and starlings to get enjoyment
from them ... One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the
breeding of animals. [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in
the wild .. they would have full lives, not wasting at home for
someone to come home in the evening and pet them and then sit
there and watch TV," -- Ingrid Newkirk (President of PETA)
I certainly believe that of Ingrid Newkirk, though it is not one of PETA's stated goals. But PETA and the Humane Society are two very different organizations, and I've never heard such an accusation made against the latter before. Where is that coming from?
#9 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

HSUS is becoming more and more animal rights oriented. They are not as much for "humane" treatment of animals as they are for animal rights now. That is why there is a link between the two. Their agendas are remarkably similar.

It's kind of common knowledge in the show and breeding world of dogs... so I will have to look to come up with specific sites or documents to back it up. There used to be an association of Pet dog owners or something that had a lot of info about PETA and HSUS. Don't know if that exists any more. We're talking like 20 years ago, almost.

I know moms on MDC like to have specific links to stuff, which again is hard for me to do with no time... I have two seconds here and there to check in here and I mostly do that in the PPD forum. I originally was given this link by a good breeder friend, as I said. A member of one of my dog clubs. Maybe she has more specific links, but again we are all super busy with dog club stuff, and dog show season is kicking in to gear.

The main point of my post was to say SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHELTERS. Not HSUS, as they have an animal rights agenda which is not consistent with responsible pet ownership. I seem to remember something years back about the new group of people heading HSUS being former PETA heads.. but I can' verify that at the moment.

#10 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
I certainly believe that of Ingrid Newkirk, though it is not one of PETA's stated goals. But PETA and the Humane Society are two very different organizations, and I've never heard such an accusation made against the latter before. Where is that coming from?

Of course it is not one of their stated goals, how much $$$$ in donations do you think they would get if they plastered that all over their website.
#11 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 06:55 PM

I think the basic message is probably always check where your money is going when giving to a charitable organization, and if you want to support your local shelters, actually give the money to them

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#12 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl In The Fire View Post
Of course it is not one of their stated goals, how much $$$$ in donations do you think they would get if they plastered that all over their website.
Exactly right.

#13 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 08:40 PM

PETA and HSUS are different organizations!
#14 of 17 Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 PM

http://www.peta.org/MC/factsheet_display.asp?ID=145

One more thought --PETA is not trying to outlaw pets. Let's read what Peta actually says on the subject. PETA is anti-breeder, definitely. PETA is not anti-pet, and staffers and members of PETA own pets.

I don't care, and I am not a member of PETA, nor am I a supporter of PETA. I just want accuracy here in the MDC pet forum.
#15 of 17 Old 05-16-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post
Just last week I posted a link to an article which showed some of the links between the two.

And it is absolutely accurate to say that PETA wants all animal domestication to stop. Including the ownership of pet dogs and cats.
#16 of 17 Old 05-16-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post
Yes, that may be true, but it is also true that they have the same agendas, which is to take your pets away eventually.

They are fine with owning RESCUE animals now. But they want all breeding of pet animals to stop and then when the existing animals are dead... that's it. No more pets for anyone. Dogs should just be wild. Cats should just be wild.

I suggest you do some more research on the subject if you don't think PETA is out to take your pets away in the end.

#17 of 17 Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Sigh.

I believe you are misinformed, and sadly, I believe you are an intelligent, committed breeder who is hearing propoganda from organizations who are threatened by HSUS. But I really don't want to discuss this any more, I hope others can look at the research themselves and come to their own conclusions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page