My Dog's Split Nails - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
My lab's nails frequently split. In the past, we've taken him to the vet, who insists on sedating him and making it a big, pricey surgical ordeal. This time, we simply trimmed the nail.

He's been limping now for four days since we trimmed it. I'm not seeing any swelling or signs of infection. But he's normally impervious to pain, and I can tell that this is really hurting him.

So I have two questions. First, how do you recommend treating it? And second, seeing as this happens frequently, what are some good ideas for prevention?

Regarding the second question, we're vegetarian, but he's not. I've been putting some salmon oil over his dog food, but is that the right route to take? Is he maybe deficient in some vitamin or mineral? I'm willing to explore both natural and conventional options. TIA!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
Regarding the second question, we're vegetarian, but he's not. I've been putting some salmon oil over his dog food, but is that the right route to take? Is he maybe deficient in some vitamin or mineral? I'm willing to explore both natural and conventional options. TIA!

Are you feeding him a vegetarian diet? Only reason I ask is because you being vegetarian has nothing to do with anything else in your post so why bring it up KIWM... If he is being fed a vegetarian diet that could be a reason his nails are splitting. Or it could be something as simple as you don't cut his nails enough.

No one can tell you how to treat your dog since we can not see your dog and unless someone here is a vet then we are not qualified to give internet assisted vet care. If it has been 4 days and he is in pain then bring him to the vet, it could be infected.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 AM

To help prevent the split nails what about those nail cover things. I forget what they are called but they are like little caps that you glue onto the nail. They make them for both cats and dogs.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl In The Fire View Post
Are you feeding him a vegetarian diet?
No. Like I said in my post, he's not vegetarian. That's why I'm putting salmon oil on his food. We also clip his nails regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
To help prevent the split nails what about those nail cover things. I forget what they are called but they are like little caps that you glue onto the nail. They make them for both cats and dogs.
Thanks. I'll look into this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 07-10-2009, 01:55 AM

I have some ideas
What is his diet (snacks and extras included)
Where does he spend his days, inside, outside, etc.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Old 07-10-2009, 02:01 AM

If your dog is in pain, I would advise medical care.

If you don't like the care you have been getting, why not shop around for a different vet?

I did a quick google, and came up with this:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/gro...conditions.htm

I tried to cut & paste the conclusive paragraph, but for some reason I can't right click. Scroll down to the conclusion where it says that nail diseases are specific, and that a correct diagnosis is necessary to ensure proper treatment. Treatment can range from antibiotics (bacterial cause) to elimination diet and a whole lot of stuff in between.

Best wishes to your doggy.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
Old 07-11-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamallama View Post
If your dog is in pain, I would advise medical care.

If you don't like the care you have been getting, why not shop around for a different vet?
Thanks for the link! He's been to three mainstream vets who just yank out the nail, tell me there's no known cause, and slap me with a huge bill. : After some extensive investigation, I'm learning that there are a lot of potential causes, as your link also shows. I'll probably look for a holistic/integrative vet.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_y_Paz View Post
I have some ideas
What is his diet (snacks and extras included)
Where does he spend his days, inside, outside, etc.
He is an indoor, crate-trained dog who gets frequent outside time with the family and eats mostly a chicken-based processed dog food. I am, however, strongly considering introducing some whole foods into his diet.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:11 PM

There is an auto immune condition called "Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy" called SLO for short. One of the characteristics is splitting of the nails. Google it and see if your dogs nails look like the images then talk o your vet about it.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way View Post
There is an auto immune condition called "Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy" called SLO for short. One of the characteristics is splitting of the nails. Google it and see if your dogs nails look like the images then talk o your vet about it.
Thanks. That's one of the possible conditions that I intend to ask the vet about, along with a bacterial/fungal infection.

User Tag List