new kittens - couple of questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-10-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there - new to the MDC Pets forum!

I've been scouring the forums for a few days now... we've just gotten two new kittens, they are 7 weeks old. Adorable! Anyhow, they are eating raw - I'm just wondering how many times a day I should feed them. The first couple of days I've fed them about 4-5 times. I'm thinking 4 should suffice... thoughts??

Second - they are reluctant to use their litter box - I noticed one had pooped on the floor. I had it down a hallway, and I think they were nervous to travel somewhere that doesnt have anywhere to hide (felt a bit trapped). So, I moved it to behind a plant in the living room. They have been better about using it, but I dont want to keep it here permanently for obvious reasons.

I'm wondering what the best way to get them using it and then ensuring they will continue to use it once it goes to its permanent home (when the cats can handle the stairs we also plan on getting 2 more boxes for other places in the home).

Anyhow -any thoughts, tips, suggestions, ideas for feeding/litter training are welcomed!

Thanks! Loving the Pets forum btw!!

Robin
#2 of 2 Old 07-10-2009, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If they consistently use it where it is now, consider finding a different permanent location that's not so out of the way. Some cats are picky about having to travel off the beaten path to go potty. Or, as they become more comfortabe in your home, they may be ok with it going back to the original spot.

If they still don't consisently use the litter box despite it being moved, try switching kitty litters. They might not like the texture of what you're using currently.

As for feeding them, if 4 seems to satisfy them then that's enough. They should act playful and happy and not lose weight if they are getting enough to eat. And they'll probably let you know if they want more to eat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page