I think he buried his dinner - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-15-2009, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I decided to "dabble" in raw feeding so I took a chicken wing, put it in a bowl with some broccoli ('cause Lyle loves broccoli) and put it outside (because if you give him anything big enough to pick up he brings it in the living room to eat in front of the TV like a human and I didn't want raw chicken on my carpet).

He looked at it funny, then picked it up and disappeared into the yard. 5 minutes later the bowl was empty and he was asking to come in.

I assume he buried it -- if he unburies it in a few days will it be edible? Safe? Am I going to get rats? What should I do?
#2 of 6 Old 07-15-2009, 12:15 AM

That's funny. Sorry ... I know it wasn't meant to be. But, dogs - you gotta love them.

I wouldn't worry about it. Unlike cats, dogs can actually handle slightly "ripe" meat, if you know what I mean. The bacteria aren't likely to harm them. If he buried it - he buried it well. I doubt you'll have rats.

I wouldn't worry about it for now. Just let it be and see what happens. He may just forget all about it.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#3 of 6 Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 AM

My one dog does this with his marrow bones...he waits for them to get nice and ripe and then eats them

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#4 of 6 Old 07-15-2009, 01:51 AM

They frequently do this with raw. I used to confine mine on our large deck so that they didn't have that option.

The only other thing, is that dogs can't digest vegetables or fruits that aren't pulverized first. You can still give it to them to eat if you want to, it won't hurt them, but you can't count it as food, you look at it as if it were a toy or a chewy bone.

I used to give my dog raw carrots all the time, and he would eat apples from under the tree, he loved both. But he wasn't deriving any nutrition from them.
#5 of 6 Old 07-15-2009, 10:29 AM

LOL That is too funny!

Now I'm glad I feed my dogs in their crates. Although Chaos wouldn't likely bury things, she thinks everything needs to be eaten ASAP. And if Mayhem didn't eat his she'd help him out too.

I might suggest to watch him next time to see what he's doing with it. Even though I've been feeding raw for over 4 years now I still think it's important to be within eyesight (or earshot if I'm making dinner) just in case something happens. Freak accidents and all that.
#6 of 6 Old 07-17-2009, 08:42 AM

Oh my, that is so funny! It's also why we feed in a crate - our dog likes to take his treats onto my beautiful new living room rug and chew them.

My Mom's lab buries some of his bones, usually the larger ones like from beef ribs. She had no idea he was doing it - and when we came over last time our dog kept finding them and digging them up. It was hilarious, I think he found about 8 of those things, and thought they were quite a good treat!

Next time I would contain him - he'll learn what to do with it very quickly.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page