What are the friendliest dog breeds? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 03:37 PM
 
jennydecki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmorest View Post
My daughter got bit by a Basset Hound this weekend at the farmer's market Not bad but I was pretty shocked!!!!!
Oh my GOSH!! I can't imagine our Penny (aka PenPen) biting anyone!

I second Peepsqueak on the Basset Hound. We have one and she is the most squishiest smooshiest lickiest sleepiest loving dog I've ever experienced. She's only 12 weeks old so she's teething but even that is subsiding little by little as she learns to play rough with the other dogs and not with the kiddos. (and by rough i mean play tug of war with the bottom of their dresses/shorts...not biting)

She rarely howls, but I think that's because she has other dogs around. Haven't had a full moon yet so don't know if she'll howl at that. I love her howl, it's deep and not annoying.

While some people say to go with the older dog to see the personality, I have had some of the worst shelter/rescue experiences so that doesn't work for me. What worked for me is to get puppies (in total we have 2 miniature schnauzers (30lbs ea) and the basset hound which will be about 50lbs but not tall) and then take them when I go places so they just get used to the situations you want them to be in.

Because I had two infants when I had the schnauzers, they never went out and still aren't good around other people/dogs. They don't bite, but they aren't friendly and bark like crazy. I wish I could go back and do things differently but they are happy with each other and our family and don't bite so I really can't complain too much.

Our Basset Hound has been to my grandmother's house, out walking, has been held by the neighbors, and has experienced so much more just in the two weeks she has been home that she is already much more friendly in group environments. I'm not ready to take her to the farmer's market yet, but the dog park will definitely be on our list before summer is over

Mama to two preschool girls and one beautiful infant girl born 9/30!
jennydecki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 PM
 
fresh_veggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Lake Tahoe
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Boston terriers or French bulldogs!! We've had Bostons my whole life. They will snort a lot though because of their flat faces, which some children might be afraid of. They also don't have much of a tail to wag - but they'll wag their whole butt to make up for it!!
fresh_veggie is offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 04:08 PM
 
greenmagick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I;ve known some aggressive bassets...also aggressive labs and goldens..its the individual dog that matters

OP hasnt poted again, but I do think the question is fairly vague...besides friendly looking (which is very subjective) what other traits are you looking fore...energy level, size, coat. temperament etc

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks
 
 

greenmagick is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
Crunchy*VT*Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Home of the Screaming Pennies
Posts: 2,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we are going to go with a French Bulldog.

Thanks for your advice!!

 

 

Crunchy*VT*Mom is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 AM
 
Norasmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The sunny side of the mountains
Posts: 4,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepsqueak View Post
Basset Hounds are the best. They have a few faults but never anything dangerous. I have never seen a Basset bite anyone. They sound like big dogs when they bark too, so people think you have a huge monster if they do not see the Basset. (They like to sing with the moon though.....personally I enjoy the howling....they only do it when they are lonesome too).
When I was a kid my cousin's Basset violated me, it jumped on my back and tried to hump me and would. not. let. go. I was 7 and I could not get that stupid dog off me, it finally took my uncle kicking him off. I couldn't stand that dog after that.

I have to say I really like Westies they are small and approachable, you can take them all over and they also have some "big dog" attitude. My dad has one and he is awesome, he chases raccoons and is sweet with my DD.

I have to say that it's sad that German Shepard's get a bad rap, I have a shepard mix and she LOVES kids, I mean my DD pulls her ears sometimes and all she does is cry. I had one as a kid and she was the best dog ever. Our girl now is a gentle giant. I also agree with looking at the dog vs. just a breed.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Norasmomma is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM
 
Fara Dyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bassett hounds are the sweetest dogs in the world.In fact mine is laying on me right now haha.

Fara Dyke is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:01 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

.

ChitownTracy is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

If you want a pure breed, labs and goldens.  I'd stay away from poodles.  Ok I've been bitten by 2 smalls and 1 large... my mom said it was because I was a tail puller.  psh!  However they don't always like kids no matter what you do. 

 

We have a beagle... and he's a jerk.  Seriously.  Then we have a beagle/lab/terrier mix... sweetness.  Weird looking though.  Our latest friend is a lab/sheppard.  The neighbor kids flock to the yard when she's out.  Easy to train.  Loves to hug but can gauge who is too small for it.  And all the kids know the command for her to calm down if she gets too rowdy.  Which is "wait". 

 

Being around dogs all my life, anything mixed with lab is pretty much easy.  They're gentle and fun.  They also have those expressive come play with me faces.  Good luck in your search.

Imakcerka is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 AM
 
34me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownTracy View Post

Best family dog: the Keeshondhttp://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/05/the-best-family-dogs-10-breeds-for-homes-with-children/http://www.akc.org/breeds/keeshond/In the states they are not too well known, in Europe they are more popularAwesome with kids, very approachable & bc they are so beautiful people want to know more about our dogs whenever we go outCons- twice weekly brushing, hair is easier to clean up than a short/long hair breed- hair conveniently "tumbleweeds" togetherNot a fan of hot weather, loves snowWhatever breed try to look into a breed specific rescue...there is a huge golden rescue in the Midwesthttp://www.asgoodasgold.org/



I grew up with a Keeshond in the 80's in NY.  One of the best dogs ever.  but he could be laaaaaazy :-0.  He never met a chin rest he didn't like.

34me is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I've always wanted a Newfoundland.  ALWAYS!   Gotta make room, who wants the cat and mean beagle?  No takers?  I kid.

Imakcerka is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 AM
 
aeterna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by graceomalley View Post

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. You'd need to go with a reputable breeder (of course) and see evidence of testing because they've really suffered from breed standards.

I disagree with labs and goldens - they're a dog I always steer clear of at the park. They come in just under rotties for aggressive bites (having said that I'm more of a 'deed, not breed' person - but I thought I'd throw it out there).


...the last statistics I read had Daschunds, Chihuauas, Beagles, and JRTs at the top of the aggressiveness/bites scale. Goldens are under Rotties, yes, but near the bottom of those charts! xD (A mirror of the original article can be found here: http://indigorescue.org/?page_id=83)

 

I agree with the "any dog looks friendlier with a colorful bandana" rule! And I like most dogs, but I squeal and go all and gooey over Goldens (of course!), Great Danes, Boxers, Rotties, Bermies, and Collies. Dogs (usually under 20 lbs) that yap aggressively and jerk on their owner's leash get entirely ignored and then badmouthed once I'm out of earshot. >.> In my experience, people spend more time training larger dogs (because it's a lot more annoying if they yap/jump), so they're frequently better-behaved.

 

I see the OP has chosen her breed but wanted to throw my $0.02 in anyway! =D


Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
aeterna is offline  
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
 
CortLong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: sitting at my computer
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

labs and retrievers.....

CortLong is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 AM
rcr
 
rcr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

collies.


Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

rcr is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 AM
 
starrlamia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

pit bulls :)


Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
starrlamia is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
 
mamandedeux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_veggie View Post

Boston terriers or French bulldogs!! We've had Bostons my whole life. They will snort a lot though because of their flat faces, which some children might be afraid of. They also don't have much of a tail to wag - but they'll wag their whole butt to make up for it!!


I had a Boston for many years. AWESOME dogs, but would you believe that many people were scared of him? I guess the snorting and teeth thing... They also do tend to be jumpy (or flat-out bat-sh*t crazy in some cases.) But great family dogs!!!!

 

mamandedeux is offline  
Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 PM
 
mariamadly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)

Bernese Mountain Dogs!  Another dog *not* to have if you want an introspective walk -- people are always approaching us, and ours never met a stranger.


Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
mariamadly is online now  
Old 07-13-2012, 01:39 AM
 
Cris Hankins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Labrador Retriever (med/lg)

Golden (med/lg)

Greyhound (large)

Whippet (med/small)

Cris Hankins is offline  
Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 PM
 
CanBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am adding my opinion here, but I have to admit I have not read EVERY post.

 

If you are looking for a friendly look, I would make sure you have a dog with floppy ears. It is a big trait that make people think they are friendly.

 

When I had a retriever x shepherd/husky, she got very protective (shepherd) yet we had to tell people to back off she wasn't friendly. I think it is those floppy retriever ears that fooled them, although her tail was also permanently up (Spitz tail type) and that fooled people too it always looked like she wanted to play, even when she didn't. Often I would have preferred she looked less friendly.

 

I have a happy springer spaniel/retriever mix. Once again, those floppy ears. She is 40 lb and full of energy. The problem I am having with her in public right now is that kids come to her because she looks so happy. But she is exuberant (6 months old only) and she knocks them over because she is over enthusiastic in her play. Which ends up scaring them. Honestly though, like for my previous dog often, I would prefer she would not look so darn friendly. I would save me lots of work in managing other people kids and apologizing to people who came to say Hi! without me having time to notice and they end up with muddy clothes. :(
 

But if you are aware of this is still what you want, I'd say look for traits in the breeds that give them the friendly look. Lighter color, not black. A chocolate at most. Tail that is high works well too most of the time. Definitely floppy ears. So any retrievers, spaniels too from my experience. Most people cannot resists fluff balls, that is probably why retriever/poodle mixes are so popular too.

 

Depending if you can handle a high energy dog: aussie shepherd, border collie

 

I'd also stay away from yappy little things that move too fast, no cropped ears and cartoony smooshed faces (like boxer, boston, etc) Nothing that looks too much like a wild dog either (no huskies, keeshound that will remind kids of the big bad wolf etc)


Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

CanBoo is offline  
Old 07-21-2012, 07:55 AM
 
gumby74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northern Wisconsin and wish I was in Madison.
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post

pit bulls :)

Truly, this is often the case.  My American Eskimos are adorable looking and as puppies look like little teddy bears.  Even after two obidence classes as well as a professional trainer and owners who really try to follow through on training with them....my male Eskie has to be in the room when other people are over and especially kids.  He is great with his family, but doesn't trust other people and gets very nervous.  When people see him walking down the road, they always want to cuddle with him and I have to tell them to keep their distance.  Not because I think he will attack them, but because he will bark and growl as if he is going to.  On the other hand...I volunteer at our local shelter and have met many pits that I would trust my life with and would snuggle with in a heart beat.  Looks and people's perceptions can be completely wrong. 


Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

 

gumby74 is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 PM
 
nd_deadhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

CanBoo, while I agree with you in part about floppy ears - gigantic upright ears serve the same purpose.

 

Who could be afraid of a Cardigan Welsh Corgi? In addition to adorable faces and clownish ears, they have a delightful personality, and are nice and close to the ground - toddlers especially adore them, because the dog is right at their level.

 

Yancy

 


If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

nd_deadhead is offline  
Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 AM
 
boricuaqueen327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My favorite dogs in the entire world are retrievers, mainly goldens and labs.  My first dog ever in life was golden and he was amazing.  A well bred, well socialized lab or golden is one of the safest dogs ever.  Notice  I said well bred and well socialized.  Good breeding and proper socialization will ensure that almost any dog is a wonderful companion.

 

 

 

I saw that you are going with a french bulldog, those are adorable, hilarious dogs. joy.gif They are so fun and can keep up with active families.  Good luck with your dog and please, please, please look into puppy socialization and puppy kindergarten classes so that your pup lives up to his potential as an amazing, friendly companion. 


momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

boricuaqueen327 is offline  
Old 09-21-2012, 01:19 PM
 
CanBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post

CanBoo, while I agree with you in part about floppy ears - gigantic upright ears serve the same purpose.

 

Who could be afraid of a Cardigan Welsh Corgi? In addition to adorable faces and clownish ears, they have a delightful personality, and are nice and close to the ground - toddlers especially adore them, because the dog is right at their level.

 

 

 

 

 


OMG what a cutie!


Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

CanBoo is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off