Cat fencing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We just bought a house (yay!) and are saving to put up a fence. Dh is against privacy fences and so we compromised on a gothic picket fence about 4 feet high. I wanted to put up a cat fence to allow my older cat to occasionally get outside and roll in the sun when I garden but am not ok with my cats being outdoor cats or free range-at all. Can you even put up a cat proof fence on a picket fence? Or should I get some sort of smaller portable enclosure if it's even possible? Any cat fence experience?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#2 of 8 Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: I am so interested in this my cats would LOVE LOVE LOVE To go outside but I do not allow them out.

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#3 of 8 Old 07-28-2009, 01:27 AM

I'd love to hear more about this too as my mom has an indoor cat who would love to enjoy the yard. We've never even heard of cat fences. I didn't know they existed! They must have some kind of roof on them, right? Otherwise, the cat could just climb/jump?

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#4 of 8 Old 07-28-2009, 01:34 AM

(I have nothing worthwhile to add, except that when I read the thread title I thought of two cats, fencing...and actually wondered if people really taught their cats to fence.)

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#5 of 8 Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 AM

I knew of an older couple that lived in a trailer and they built a cat area that was enclosed....kind of like a patio. Had room for the cats, but also chairs and such for them so they could be in their 'outdoor' living room. I would love to do something like this as well! We have 3 and also don't let them out. My husband says its no big deal but I despise the cat that uses my yard as a litter box!!!
#6 of 8 Old 07-28-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiko View Post
(I have nothing worthwhile to add, except that when I read the thread title I thought of two cats, fencing...and actually wondered if people really taught their cats to fence.)

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 8 Old 07-28-2009, 11:44 PM

My parents have a dog run that they've converted to a cat run... its like this (but with only one door on the side)

http://dogrunkennels.com/

They put some 2X4 frames on the top and attached chicken wire to make a roof and inside they have a few perches, some branches and a litter box and some shade. Its wonderful, and their cat loves it. They did have a few escapes and had to ensure all the large gaps were filled in, but now the cat knows to just stay inside.

We plan to build a smaller version of this, using just a wooden frame and chicken wire. I'll post when its done!
#8 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 05:29 PM

You can cat proof fences by putting something on them that prevents them from being able to climb, like this.

The problem with a 4 foot fence is that come cats could just jump over the whole thing. We had a 4 foot picket fence at our old house and our cat, on the few occasions that she escaped, cleared it without touching it, so something like the above would never work.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page