Dog licking baby's face.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never though about it really, but he was licking the baby's face this morning and she was smiling and I thought it was cute. Then I wondered if there was a reason this was not okay. I know to a certain extent it is a "to each thier own" kinda thing, but is there any reason I should not allow it?
Oh "he" is a German Shepherd, very tollerant of little ones, but still a pretty big boy.
#2 of 11 Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 PM

My dog even went so far as to 'french kiss' my little guy. DS would open his mouth and giggle hysterically as the dog licked his mouth. My mom and MIL thought it was very unhealthy but nothing ever came of it.
#3 of 11 Old 07-30-2009, 09:26 PM

I have a dog french kisser as well. We keep doggy kisses to a minimum but don't forbid it.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#4 of 11 Old 07-30-2009, 09:27 PM

Can the little ones get worms from such... interaction? IDK, just wondering.
#5 of 11 Old 07-30-2009, 10:12 PM

I have a GSD too. My partner thinks it's so gross when my dog and I "kiss" - he just licks my lips, while I pucker up, lol. My partner makes me brush my teeth before he kisses after viewing such events. He's not a dog person.

Anyway, nothing unhealthy about it. You know, dogs actually have an enzyme in their saliva that is antibacterial. Sort of. If you were to get cut, and had no antibacterial stuff around, you could get the dog to lick you to prevent infections. I asked my doctor about this, and she said this was true, but then she followed up with "if you pee on it, it would be even more sterile." So, I'm not sure how sane my doctor is.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#6 of 11 Old 07-30-2009, 10:42 PM

oh boy, i have five dogs and they lick my daughter each other me my SO and themselves. so I wouldnt worry about it. lol

Summer--momma to Cassie (9-27-06) and Dominic 1-28-10
#7 of 11 Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Pretty much what I figured
#8 of 11 Old 07-31-2009, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have two dogs. The german shephard mix actually avoids the baby (accept when he's dropping food from the highchair) but our little mutt constantly licks him & I've caught ds crawling over to her with his mouth open letting her lick is mouth more than once. SO gross but it would be so impossible to stop it completely.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#9 of 11 Old 07-31-2009, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I didn't want my dogs to like dd's face if she seemed uncomfortable (before she was able to move away). I didn't want her traumatized from not being able to get away, even if they were just loving on her. As soon as she was able to get away, I pretty much let her fend them off herself. She loves them to pieces now.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#10 of 11 Old 07-31-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Jesse View Post
Can the little ones get worms from such... interaction? IDK, just wondering.
i think only if the dog has been licking it's bum area and has eggs located there.

there are no worms that i know of that hand out in the mouth

that said, none of my dogs have been kissers which is AWESOME because i love dogs but dog kisses squick me out!!

eh. who needs a signature?
#11 of 11 Old 08-02-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Anyway, nothing unhealthy about it. You know, dogs actually have an enzyme in their saliva that is antibacterial. Sort of. If you were to get cut, and had no antibacterial stuff around, you could get the dog to lick you to prevent infections. I asked my doctor about this, and she said this was true, but then she followed up with "if you pee on it, it would be even more sterile." So, I'm not sure how sane my doctor is.
I never knew that! I knew about the pee though lol. My dog sometimes licks my son. It only bothers me for her to do it when he's napping because it always wakes him up! : Or when I've just bathed him but I can't really blame her then because he smells so delicious I want to kiss him all over too.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page