Why does my dog lick so often? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dog licks me more often than any previous dog I've had. Every time she comes into the room, she trots up to me and licks my arms or hands or leg, or whatever skin she can get her tongue on, especially when I just come home. She rarely licks my face though. Just now, I was sitting here and she walks in, licks my elbow, and leaves. Even other members of the family, if they're walking around with shorts on, she is right behind them, licking up and down their legs.

It doesn't seem like she's OCD about it..

ribbonrainbow.gifMarried to my photosmile2.gif / geek.gif husband, trying to keep up with mybabyf.gif born 1/2010, and we have one dog2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 PM

I would really like to know the answer to this. My female American Eskimo does this, but the male never does. Could it be a female thing???

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm. Never thought it could be a female thing, but now that you brought it up, I realize my male beagle has never licked me, and neither has my male aussie shep mix, but my sister's female husky licks hands.

ribbonrainbow.gifMarried to my photosmile2.gif / geek.gif husband, trying to keep up with mybabyf.gif born 1/2010, and we have one dog2.gif
Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 AM

both my dogs (both female) do this as well!

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

Old 08-10-2009, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Both my dogs (1 male, 1 female) lick me constantly. It gets really confusing because the female also licks me like crazy to get my attention when she needs to go outside. So it gets really confusing when she's giving affection and when she wants to go outside. I think my female dog does it out of affection. I think my male dog likes the taste of my stinky feet. (he also likes snacking on my shoes if I don't catch him). He licks my feet. She licks anything she can reach. It's also occured to me that they may like the salt on my skin.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 AM

Dogs often lick the alpha dog so that could be part of it as well.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 08-10-2009, 03:37 AM

My dog likes to randomly lick me too. He's male. Lately, he's been nosing around my abdomen and licking that area. I actually think he can sense I'm pregnant.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 08-10-2009, 04:43 AM

I have 2 dogs in my home. A female pom and a male chihuahua. The female only licks if someone has just slathered themselves in yummy lotion. The male only licks for the same reason the female does and occasionally he can be a sneaky toe licker. They both know that I routinely lotion my entire body after I shower at night so they wait for me on the other side of the metal baby gate in the hallway. When I walk out they immediatly attack my bare legs with thier tongues and chase me while I swat away at them. "NO!" apparently doesn't mean the same thing in dog.

HOWEVER, of my mom's 2 dogs (male australian shepard & female bulldog, boxer, pit mix) one is a serious licker while the other only licks himself. When I take the kiddos over to visit I have to make sure to watch my little guy especially carefully. While Baily (the bully breed) is a sweet, baby loving, girl she is obsessed with doing what I lovingly call, "walk by lickings" to ds while he sits on the floor (or in my lap, or on the couch... or anywhere). She waits until she thinks no one is paying attention then washes every inch of his skin with her giant tongue in just seconds! I'm glad she's so gentle but, I'd rather my kids get their baths in a bath tub with plain ol' soap and water. Dd gets a good slobber from Baily every time we visit but, ds takes the brunt of it since his defence skills are lacking. I have no idea why she does this. She licks everyone reguardless of scent, gender, or hygene. If you let her continue for any length of time her eyes start to roll back in her head like shes in some sort of trance.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
My dog likes to randomly lick me too. He's male. Lately, he's been nosing around my abdomen and licking that area. I actually think he can sense I'm pregnant.
Congrats!

My female dog is a licker. She is better now that she older. When she was little she would lick constantly. People who came to visit actually told her, "I would pet you if you would just stop licking me!"
Old 08-11-2009, 05:49 PM

My kelpie would do it obsessively if I let her. I let her lick, but just once or twice, it's usually my hands. I think alot of it is just her way of getting close to you, saying "hi, I love you". She does the obsessive licking when she's anxious or excited about something.

My dachshund doesn't lick at all.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
Old 08-14-2009, 10:55 PM

Our Pug is a mad licker. She loves summertime and the bare skin availability. She also licks her own paws to soothe herself before she goes to sleep. We are all used to it and it doesn't bother us much!
Old 08-16-2009, 01:50 PM

Yep, I would say it is a sign of submission. Consider it a good thing, although messy!:

User Tag List