Mothering Forum banner

Dear irresponsible owner of an aggressive dog...

924 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Shera971 
#1 ·
Dear irresponsible owner of an aggressive dog,

Your dog has repeatedly barked, lunged and snarled at all the dogs in the neighborhood. Last week, your dog attacked a puppy from the neighboring apartment building. You were there, you're aware of this. Youo often have a friend help you walk your dogs, because your bigger dog is so aggressive and hard to handle. So why the HELL were your dogs being walked offleash in the back of the apartment buildings last night?!?!?!

And when your dog attacked my little dog, why the HELL didn't you run right over, why did you think it was sufficiant to call across the parkinglot for your dog? You saw she had my 22 pound dog by the neck and was shaking her back and forth while snarling and growling. You saw me trying to get in between the dogs, while still holding on to my bigger dog and still keeping an eye on your other dog, in case she decided to attack, also, hoping I didn't get attacked in the process. And you stood there wasting precious time while your dog was trying to kill my dog?

When you finally came over, you saw my bigger dog get in between your aggresive dog and me and my little dog and fight back, and after you pulled your dog away, you had the nerve to check to see if YOUR dog was okay, while my dog was in the middle of literally passing out from fear? Do you think I was on my hands and knees in the parking lot trying to check my dog for blood or broken bones, while praying, "Oh, God, oh, God, oh, God" for the fun of it?

And the whole time, your OTHER dog, the one that's friendly was wandering around, still unleashed, and kept coming over to me, my little dog, and my big dog, so I had to hold on very tight to my other dog, because she thought her pack was still in danger. Ummm... HELLO!

And seriously, maybe you didn't say it, but after you finally realized that there were other people/dogs in the world, you called over asking if she was okay, did you really think she LOOKED okay, with me holding her limp body and completely unconcious? I didn't know if she was still ALIVE, much less okay.

And when my little dog revived herself enough to wake up, you made like everything was no big deal, my dog's fine, and besides, I kicked yuour dog and my other dog bit your dog anyways. Sure, she had no blood (none of the dogs did), and sure, I didn't get bit, but my little dog was NOT okay and I'M still not okay. If my little dog didn't have such a scruff of fur around her neck, if my other dog hadn't protected her, if I'd sent my son to walk the dogs, like I often do, my little dog could very well be DEAD right now.

And then you leave, and I try to continue our walk, moslty to see how my little dog was doing, if I needed to call my Hubby to come get us.

Another neighbor heard the fighting while walking her puppy (the same puppy your dog had attacked last week). SHE cared more than you did. SHE helped me look over my little dog, who was still wobbly and shaking and wanted me to hold her. SHE went back into the parking lot to look for my keys and cell phone, whick I'd lost trying to protect my dog.

All this, because you were too irresponsible to leash (and preferably muzzle!) your aggressive dog. Even if both your dogs were friendly, we have a leash law!

My little dog took 4 1/2 hours to stop trembling. I probably took that long as well. Is she physically okay? I think so. Is she mentally okay? She's even more afraid of everything now. And me? Mentally, I'm still shook up. Thanks alot.

I will be filing a complaint with the police department this afternoon. I don't know what will become of it- my dog's okay now, and I only know which apartment building you live in and your two dogs' names, and I'm moving across town in two days, but something needs to be done. Hopefully, you'll be reminded of the leash laws and this will prevent future attacks on dogs. We have alot of dogs, especially small dogs in the area, many walked by children or elderly people. Will it still be no bog deal when your dog kills another dog? When your dog has to be "put down" after she kills another dog? Even if you don't care about other dogs' safety, at least be responsible enough to care about yout own dog's safetly.

I hope I never see you or your dogs again. I hope you grow up and take care of your dogs like you should. I hope nobody else has to experience what I had to go through last night.

Thank you,
Seriously pissed off and stressed out dog owner.

See less See more
#4 ·
I field, with as much info as I can, but there's not much I can do. If I see them offleash again, I can call the station (we live across the street) and it's on file, if someone else comes to complain (hopefully they'll know her name), but they really can't do much besides that, since my little dog is not hurt (physically). I wish I was more clearheaded when it happened. I should have called, let them come over to talk to the owner, and watch my dog pass out from fear or whatever.
:

#5 ·
Your animal control may be a separate department. Call your local town or county shelter for animal control's number. File with them as well, and the shelter itself, if they will take a report separate from animal control. That way, if there is another incident, they have a paper trail. In many places, it takes multiple offenses before action of any kind is taken, if ever.

Also, you need to take a good look at your town's laws. Frequently, the police won't know what you can legally do, and animal control won't tell you either, unless you specifically ask. In many places. there are no automatic consequences for an aggressive dog, and no automatic enforcement of any court decrees made after a dog is declared dangerous. And, I have found in most places, the laws only cover attacks on humans- not on animals. Since animals are considered "property" in most places, you would need to file a civil suit.

I've dealt with this issue in 4 states, including yours. I will PM you later if you need more information. I have to take my kids to the pool right now.

Sorry about your dog. Hope she feels better soon.

And I hope the next animal that dog gets is as lucky. It's never a matter of if, it's always a matter of when.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.