Fleas!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-24-2009, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG, I'm about ready to scream from all the fleas. I walk into the bathroom in the middle of the night and I have at least 1 jump onto my leg.

The cats get treated with Frontline every month, we'd switched from Advantage a few years ago because it stopped working, but it seems the Frontline has stopped working also. I gave the little boy Capstar and Frontline about 3 weeks ago (on the same day) as advised by his vet, and it worked for a little while, but in the meantime the house was still infested. Little girl is much more fastidious and the Frontline seems to still work for her - but I'm still finding dander on her (although no fleas), when the Frontline should still be working. I used the flea comb on him tonight and pulled at least 18 fleas off of him - although I didn't find a single flea on her, I did find several on myself.

We have hardwood floors, so it's not like they're hiding in carpeting. My best guess is they're hiding in any fabric - the couch, the curtain, the mattress. Other than vacuuming, what can I do to these things to get rid of the fleas? I'm going to load everything that can be washed into the washer AGAIN tomorrow (sheets, blankets, anything they sleep on), but that obviously hasn't solved the problem the last 2 times I've done it - and I obviously can't fit the couch in the washing machine.

Flea bomb is not an option - I'm 36 weeks pregnant (and even if I weren't, it wouldn't be an option).

I'm really at my wits end here. I'm ready to shave the cats, but I know that's not going to solve the problem of the infestation in the house.

So I guess ultimately there are two questions here -
1- what can I do/give/put on the cat to keep the fleas off of him, since Frontline and Advantage neither one are working?
2- what can I do to the house to get rid of the infestation that is eating me alive (they like me a lot more than they like DH)?

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#2 of 9 Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 AM

You have a few options, as it sounds like your fleas have become resistant to the Frontline, which does happen.

-Go back to Advantage, switch to selamectin (revolution) or dinotefuran (vectra)
-Comb them every day with a flea comb, making sure to get their abdomen, shaving would help some
-Keep using the capstar for breakouts. The flea life cycle makes it really difficult to get them all in one fell swoop.

Things not to use:
-ANYTHING with permethrin
-Flea collars, they don't work and are dangerous to pets and humans
-Pennyroyal oil, has caused death in humans and causes severe liver and nervous tissue injury.

Here are a few client education links you might find useful.

Flea control
Flea Product Comparison

Hope this helps! Oh, and the fleas like you better because your temperature is probably a little higher than your husbands. A flea likes cats and dogs because their norm temp is 101.5, but humans aren't nearly as cozy. Since you have increased blood supply for the baby, your temp is likely to be increased and your circulation to your skin is better.

(I'm not your vet, and this isn't medical advice)
#3 of 9 Old 08-25-2009, 01:54 AM

Diatomaceous Earth is suppose to work well for fleas. I have a flea and tick problem I am trying to deal with right now. You just sprinkle it on the cats and put on places where they are likely to breed.

Also, garlic is suppose to work to repel fleas. There is a an internal flea medication called Program that prevents breeding as well.

I haven't used Frontline on my pets because I was afraid of it getting on me and or my toddler since it comes out through the pets oil gland and onto the pets hair.
#4 of 9 Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 PM

Just keep in mind that diatomaceous earth is known to be dangerous to inhale for both human and pet. You'll want to do everything you can to not breathe any of the dust. I've never had a client who was able to control fleas with DE only, but would love to hear a success story, so please post if it ends up working for you!
#5 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Came across this in a search, and wanted to add that of course ANY powder is dangerous if inhaled, but FOOD GRADE diatmaceous earth is safe for ingestion in pets and humans.  It's the DE that is sold in pool-supply stores that is similar to asbestos if inhaled.

Bring back the old MDC
#6 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 12:54 PM

I use Comfortis for our dogs. It's a monthly chewable pill. It works great and since I live in the city and my dogs don't run free outside (aside from the dog park) I usually can get away with using it only every couple of months. They make another brand that includes the heartworm medicine as well. It only kills fleas that bite them though, since none of the medicine makes it on to their skin, so if you have a really bad infestation it might take you two cycles to get them all. Comfortis is specifially for dogs, the cat brand is called Assurity.

As for hardwood floors, make sure you're vacuuming up all the hair from places like behind the couch or fridge and under beds. The fleas can breed anywhere that's dark and hair/dander accumulate. 

#7 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 AM

I don't think they make comfortis for cats but you can buy capstar from your vet and use you cats as means to knock down the infestation. It is a pill and it can be given daily. It has a short lasting effect and metabolizes out of the system within 24 hours, but it kills all adult fleas that are on your animal within 30 minutes. 

fleas can hide in any crevices, so you hardwood floors can provide nice hiding ground for fleas.

#8 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 01:09 PM

http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

Look at this and then click on flea control- I am posting this all over the oforum but I have had many flea problems over the years and this is great I think.

I do use frontline tho to

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#9 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 02:00 PM

We had a major flea problem last summer, when I was about six months pregnant. It was HORRIBLE. 

I had a lot of luck with anything lavender; apparently fleas hate the scent. I used a lavender shampoo for the cat and made a lavender EO spray for the carpets and the fleas were gone within a week. 

http://www.ehow.com/how_4464826_use-lavender-repel-fleas.html

Good luck!

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page