Dog Training Collar Seen in TV Show - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-30-2009, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw a collar on the show "It's me or the Dog" that had a built in walkie talkie. The trainer put it on a dog, left the room, but watched the dog through a video camera and spoke into it when the dog went to steal food from the counter. Brilliant!

I would love to buy one for my dog, but I can't find information about them anywhere! Any ideas? I would love to spy on her and see her reaction when my voice comes out of nowhere to tell her what to do/not to do.
#2 of 7 Old 12-22-2009, 05:04 AM

Dog training collars are the most humane, effortless, reliable choice for solid dog training but you need to know how to train with them so that your dog understands its purpose. Always read an owners manual before purchasing a dog training collar. Any good collar will offer this information in advance and you can read exactly how to operate and train with this collar before placing it on your dog an zapping.
#3 of 7 Old 12-22-2009, 12:43 PM

There are easier and less expensive ways to teach your dog not to counter surf

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#4 of 7 Old 12-22-2009, 01:15 PM

That's interesting. I wonder if you could use it for separation anxiety too to calm the dog.
#5 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

My dog doesn't counter surf. I thought it was a clever use for counter surfing though in that TV episode.

The TV show it was aired on does not promote any kind of physical discipline, so I don't think it is an electric collar. Or maybe it was an electric collar where they only used the walkie talkie component?! I searched for awhile and just couldn't figure it out.

Ola--I would think that it could be used for separation anxiety. In fact, I think you could get creative and use it for lots of issues. I was thinking about using it for my dog and barking. She only does it when she is outside, can't see me, and is alerting me about potential "danger." She stops the minute she sees me, so I thought a walkie-talkie kind of collar might work.
#6 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 PM

Definitely was not a shock collar. I am kind of thinking they may have just taped a walkie talkie to a collar for that episode, but I dont know.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#7 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 11:20 PM

I didnt see the show but I know what type of remote training collar you are talking about. They are similar to a shock type collar in that the dog wears a collor and you push the button (some do have electric stimulation) but have a programmable chip that allows you to record voice promts and with a push of the button the dog would hear your voice say "down" or whatever you recorded. The only ones I have seen are very expensive and professional quality used in search and rescue or police dogs. I've borrowed one for my german shepherd to see if we liked it (this particular model does not give any electric "shock" only voice prompts) it is used when distance wise it may be hard for a dog to hear such as an officer sending in a police dog into a building while remaining outside.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page