High Fiber Fruits and Veggies that are safe for dogs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dog is overweight, and needs to lose about 15lbs (or more) so she's in good health for her spay.
My vet and I went thru her food and her calorie intake and worked that part all out, and then the nurse (vet tech? I dont know her proper title, sorry) afterward suggested some high fiber fruits/veggies so she feels more full, but without adding too many calories. When I asked which ones, she said I can google it and to not use carrots or peas as they have high sugar content or something. (the next patient was waiting, I understood)

But I'm not getting anywhere. I keep getting articles talking about how a high fiber diet can help obese cats/dogs but they never give suggestions! Argh!

Can anyone help me? Please.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 01:41 PM

Green beans and pumpkin are two that I've heard about.

My pitbull is the right weight but I was considering adding green beans to her food because she eats so fast and then goes looking for more. And by more I mean the other dog's food bowls and they aren't too thrilled about that. I thought the green beans might slow her down a bit.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I think I read somewhere that pumpkin is good for digestion as well...I have to find that again.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 PM

My dog doesn't like green beans, but loves broccoli and sweet potato. I give him the broccoli still frozen and he carries it into the living room and settles down in front of the TV, gnawing it like a bone.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:15 AM

They're good low calorie snacks as dogs can't really digest whole pieces of fresh veggies. You'd have to run them through the food processor first, in order for the dog to get any nutritional value out of it. Otherwise, it will just come out on the other side, undigested.

However, that doesn't mean you can't give veggies - especially if he's getting his nutrients elsewhere. I give my dog the occasional raw veggie when cooking. He also likes green beans best. Especially if they're frozen. It's hard to resist his sweet face looking up at me, giving me the "is that something tasty you have there?" look.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 10-05-2009, 03:04 PM

Pumpkin is the one I'd heard of too.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Old 10-05-2009, 05:24 PM

I wouldnt give pumpkin. A little bit is good for firming up stools, a bit more is good for constipation....but will cause loose stools in a dog that is not constipated.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

She's doing well...digestively, lol, I dont want to mess that up, so I'll start slow with green beans.
Thanks!

User Tag List