Keeping neighbors' cats out of my garage help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A neighborhood cat sprayed in my garage. It stinks terribly, especially when it's rainy and now all the local cats think my garage and side yard are their playground. They use my mulched flower beds as a litter box and have ripped things in my garage. (The doors do not seal all the way shut, that is how they get it - old garage)

Is there any humane way to get them to stay away? We have a big dog who has gotten out and chased one of them up the road but they still all come back, even that one. I don't want to trap them and return them to the owners and there is no animal control to call.

We want to sell our house in the spring so we need to get rid of these cats and the smell asap. Thanks for any advice!

Jackie

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
#2 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 12:30 PM

Have you tried any of the cat repellents that are sold at pet stores? I don't know if they work or not though.

Our neighbors cat is in our garage a lot. He rips open trash bags, etc. but thankfully doesn't spray. I've found the only real solution is keeping all the doors shut. Are they getting in the big garage door? Can you get it fixed so they can't get in anymore? Sometimes pest control companies will do projects like that.

For the stink in your garage, you'll probably have to primer and then paint. My mom's basement smelled "catty" and she painted the floor and it totally took care of it. Plus her floor looked really nice, so painting your garage floor would help your house look nice to potential buyers.

I've used BIN primer on a pee-stinky subfloor in our house and it completely covered it. I don't know if you can use it on concrete though. It probably says on the can somewhere.
#3 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! We are going to try and fix the doors. It's really an old carriage house, with two wide doors that swing out.

I haven't checked the petstores yet, good idea.

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
#4 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 06:32 PM

As far as the smell, natures mircle used heavily allow it to dry then I second the PP, buy the best primer and paint you can to cover it. Getting rid of cat smell is nearly impossible.

If you are thinking of selling, a new garage door will really help and one of the few practial ways to keep them out.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#5 of 5 Old 10-13-2009, 05:09 PM

When my cats were invading my neighbor's yard, he set traps along their trails. When he would catch a cat, he would hose it down and set it loose. Two of our cats never went back. The third had to find a new home. This is your property and you have a right to keep it clean from other people's animals. Your neighbors have a responsibility to keep their animals out of your garage. Traps work and they are humane (more humane than chemical based animal repellent).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page