Mace or Pepper Spray for dog walking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
JnB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I am getting up earlier and earlier (and staying up later) to walk my dog before work (and after). Our favourite route now seems to be run by the neighborhood bully, a skunk. My dog spooks too easily and is too curious to try and cross this guy's path. So, we go another way now. But, it's gotten me thinking. Obviously we could encounter skunks or any other animal (or person) on dark back roads. I carry a flashlight, but something could jump out of the bushes anywhere. Would it be smart for me to carry mace or pepper spray to guard against something that may attack us (stray dog, coyote, etc). What do y'all think?
TIA!
#2 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 07:05 PM

I think that would be a good idea! Especially if its dark when you go on your walks. Chances are wild animals will see and hear you coming and run away, especially if they see your dog with you. I'd be more concerned about off leash aggressive dogs and the people attacking than a wild animal. Pepper spray or mace would be effective against anything coming at you.

ribbonrainbow.gifMarried to my photosmile2.gif / geek.gif husband, trying to keep up with mybabyf.gif born 1/2010, and we have one dog2.gif
#3 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The problem with pepper spray and mace is that you have to make sure the wind is blowing the right way otherwise you may get your own pet, or yourself. So it may be a bit tough to use.

I tried various alternatives (after my own two dogs had been attacked by two loose dogs). I tried opening an umbrella, a water pistol with vinegar in it, a spray bottle, all were really cumbersome, and may be effective against an animal but not person.

I chose to carry an airhorn.

They come in tiny size, about the size of mace. You can find them in outdoor and boating departments. I have this one, it's slim and fits right in my pocket:
http://www.amazon.com/Air-Horn-1-2oz...5040377&sr=8-9
Practice at home with the airhorn though for your pet to hear it. I did so in my own basement.
#4 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
JnB

Excellent, thank you both for your advice. You both gave me some things to think about. Asiago, thank you for the link. That's a great idea.
Anyone else with advice or suggestions, I'd love to hear from you.
#5 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 PM

I carry an airhorn too, thankfully my dog is deaf as a doorknob, so it wouldn't bother him if I had to scare off some wildlife. My husband rigged our leash so that the airhorn hangs off the handle along with poo bags.

Occasionally the coyotes get desperate and start to look at my schnauzer like he's a snack, so having the airhorn with me is a huge peace of mind. Cabella's usually has great deals on them at christmas time, under the pretense that you'd give it as a stocking stuffer.
#6 of 7 Old 10-09-2009, 02:48 AM

I carry mace ... but, it's more for the human predators.

Mace is tricky, as others have said, due to wind. However, in a pinch, I'd obviously attempt to use it if attacked by a wild animal. I'd rather accidentally mace my dog in the process than have my dog go after the wild animal (something he'd absolutely do if it attacked me).

I did, once, use mace on a dog. This dog was behind a fence and going crazy with aggression towards my dog. We crossed the street, and the dog jumped over the fence and ran full speed at us. Fortunately, I was right next to my car, and spraying mace at the dog gave us just enough time to get into the car. I'm not sure I even hit the dog all that much. I think I only barely grazed his nose with my bad aim. But, it was enough time. I had never been so scared in my life. Mainly for my dog!

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#7 of 7 Old 10-20-2009, 11:47 PM

That had to be so scary to see a dog jump the fence and haul over to get you! I think I would pass out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I carry mace ... but, it's more for the human predators.

I did, once, use mace on a dog. This dog was behind a fence and going crazy with aggression towards my dog. We crossed the street, and the dog jumped over the fence and ran full speed at us. Fortunately, I was right next to my car, and spraying mace at the dog gave us just enough time to get into the car. I'm not sure I even hit the dog all that much. I think I only barely grazed his nose with my bad aim. But, it was enough time. I had never been so scared in my life. Mainly for my dog!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page