Behaviour changes in a neutered dog? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-15-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
JnB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have another Q about neutered dogs.
The reason I decided to neuter my 2 year old Lab is because of his behaviour as of late. Walking him is... barely walking. It's taking 2 steps and waiting while he sniffs out the grass and bushes for (presumably) other dogs' scents. He finds a scent and licks the grass (ew - every 5 feet, ew) and marks it himself. And, he'll PULL on his leash if he finds a scent he really wants that's out of reach. Sometimes after sniffing/licking he dog this weird huffing thing with his mouth - I have no idea how to describe that here. I just want to be able to walk him normally. I understand he'll always have a nose and will always be fascinated by other beings but I do hope neutering stops this. Also, his licking himself has become very gross and often. Does anyone know if neutering will curb (or stop??) these behaviours?
Thank you!
#2 of 7 Old 10-16-2009, 12:06 AM

Neutering might help some, but noone can really say how much. The behaviors you describe, I think could be addressed by a trainer. In fact, I think training would be more helpful than neutering. I would do both- get him neutered, but also find a good trainer. Even if neutering helps, it takes some time for the male hormones to clear his system. There are lots of intact dogs that are delightful to walk, and lots of neutered dogs that are uncontrollable. Without changing the behavior, I dont think take away the hormones alone is going to give you the best outcome.
#3 of 7 Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
JnB

Thanks for your reply. He's been to a 2 week boarding boot camp for training. He received excellent training. Walking him is just getting tough lately (a year and a half after training). I attributed it to his getting older (2) - maybe being at a "frisky" age? Sniffing out females. It's just what I've assumed.
However it turns out he's an awesome dog. But, hopefully I'll get my desired results from neutering him.
#4 of 7 Old 10-16-2009, 03:40 PM

A friend of mine who hunts with her dogs said that they were easier to train after neutering. Not that it was automatic or anything, but that they had less intensity and she had an easier time getting them to focus.

I'm hesitant to say this because I think neutering is very important and you should definitely do it. But I think most of what you are experiencing is a training issue. Training isn't something you teach a dog though, rather it's a relationship you develop between the two of you. It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of send-away training camps. I'd recommend doing some training with him yourself (a group class perhaps, with some distraction in the form of the other dogs?).

As already mentioned it takes a little time for the hormones to get out of his system, I want to say a week or two but don't quote me on that. Between that and a refresher training class it should definitely help.
#5 of 7 Old 10-16-2009, 04:58 PM

I agree with the PP. Training is a continuous process. If you dont work on it regularly, it slips and the dog becomes less obedient. Its not a once time and you're done thing. I think his age, and the hormones are playing some role, but i also think he and you need a refresher course and then continued effort on training. My dog knows how to sit for instance, but if I don't train specifically for it on a regular basis, she's less inclined to do it when I ask. Even if I enforce it when I DO ask for it, if its not done often, they lose it.
#6 of 7 Old 10-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unless you are planning to breed your dog you should gwith siuet him fixed anyway. As to the walking issues, they are all normal behaviour for a dog. If you don't like it then you need to learn how to teach your do to walk to your liking. There are many free sites on the web with simple instructions on dog training.
#7 of 7 Old 10-16-2009, 06:36 PM

It might change his behavior, it might not.

I am not a believer in the necessity of neutering male dogs. Bitches, yes, because the risk of pyometra is high. As long as you do not let him roam, he isn't going to be impregnating anyone's dog.

I have had quite a few male dogs, neutered and intact - the worst masturbator is my current male dog, who has been neutered at least as long as I have had him (4 years).

Now, I did have an unneutered dog (a Pekingese) who did what you describe with urine if he got the chance. Huffing, sticking his face into it, licking. Totally bizarre to see, not to mention gross. But he was well-trained on the leash and didn't pull to do so - it didn't disrupt our walks in any way.

You dog has to learn that walk time means that he has to follow your lead, no matter what he smells. Neutering isn't going to make him realize that.. all dogs like to smell.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page