Cat litter/question help needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the scoopable clumpy kind better for the enviornment or the traditional kind?

And what is better for multiple cats. I have a cat peeing in places other than the litter box at first I thought it was the dog but no, it's the cat.

I think it has to do with downsizing and tension between one of the cats and the dog.

What I am doing:
Got a 2nd litter box. We have 2 cats
Tried scoopable litter and try to scoop it daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Here is a good article about litter.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 PM

I use the new natural variety from arm & hammer. It actually smells good. It is scoopable and made from corn. But it actaully smells good! I know I just said that, but I still can't get over it, even 6 mos later. Even after a big poop, they scratch up the litter, and it smells good. It is not as expensive as other natural litter. And it's available at the regular stores.

If you are looking at it in a strictly environmental sense, clay mining is very dirty business as is turning it into litter. Not to mention all the space in landfills that is filled up b/c of our cats. That's why we choose one made from a renewable source, something that would normally just be offal from another product. Corn cobs is a great example. There is also things like newspaper, wheat, & pine. But I find that the corn is the best for absorbtion, smell, & clumping.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:08 PM

Have you taken the cat to the vet? My cat was peeing outside the box and he had a UTI. The vet gave him antibiotics and that solved the problem.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:05 AM

We like "Feline Fresh" or "Yesterday's News" for litter.... both non clay types. The Feline Fresh is clumping, it contains odour VERY well, its flushable/compostable, and lasts a super long time - in Canada we have to buy it at a specialty pet store but I have heard you can find it at Target in the US?

Just wanted to mention the rule of thumb for litter boxes is 1 per cat plus 1. Usually, elimnating outside of the box is related to stress/anxiety (if you have ruled out medical causes first). Is the litter box in a private place that is not accessible for the dog? Make sure you clean the soiled areas super well or they will smell the pee and go in the same spot again even if you have figured out and solved the problem causing the anxiety.

Good luck!!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:37 PM

My favorite litter is Feline Pine. It's really good at negating the ammonia smell.

Both the clay litters and the clumping litters are horrible for the environment and for cats. Plus, I find they don't neutralize the odors.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:41 AM
Banned

Sometimes cats are just unexplainably picky about the kind of litter. Some cats like the small grain (clumpable), some like the larger type. Different scents, etc., can all make a difference. And preferences can change. If there is no medical problem, then try a different type of litter.

User Tag List