How many cats is too many? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 103 Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh geez...I'm in trouble (don't look at my sig!) I have a ton of critters and love it! We are getting ready to move to 9.5 acres and looking forward to having a farm full of chickens, goats, peacocks and eventually horses. Call my crazy, but I love my animals! My house is always clean and ready for company. I've often had people walk in my home and say "I thought you had animals"

I think 15 cats is a little much but if they are well taken care of, who cares.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#62 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
Personally, I think that any more than two is a sign something's a little off. I've had five at one time...

If the person can take care of all of them, if the house doesn't reek and isn't coated in hair, and if it doesn't negatively affect her family, I'd just figure she loves cats.
I love having 5! They get along so well, they take care of each other a lot- probably just like a large family of kids. My house is not crowded with them even though it's only a medium house. You don't see 'cats everywhere'; if you did, that's when it's too many.

I think the people saying 2 sound just like people saying 2 kids is perfect... and yet I bet many here would have more than 2 kids! 3 cats is not harder than 2; 4 is not harder then 3

Oh, and I have had 15... when finding stray kittens.
#63 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 AM

We currently have 6. I don't think we are THAT nutty......but the nutty ones never realize they are, so who knows I don't really see how cats are dirty, they use a litter box and sleep for 14 hours a day. My 4 kids, 2 dogs, and even the bunny make more mess. We don't have any carpet and the litter boxes are in the basement so I don't think we have "cat smell". We do have "dog smell" occasionally though. My big dog is pretty stinky!

If you are a reasonably clean person the mess would be cleaned regularly in the course of things. I vacuum the furniture, steam mop the floors, and wash down the counters all the time anyway, so crumbs or cat hair make no difference. Dirty kid prints or dirty paw prints are all the same at the end of the day. Scooping the litter box, the dog poop in the yard, or washing the poopy diapers are all in the same category. It all needs to be done with a high degree of frequency. If these things aren't done THAT is the issue, not the number of pets (or kids). Clean houses are clean because they are made that way. Dirty houses are still dirty even without the cats (the cat smell may just make it more obvious ).

I think having a large number of cats can easily just happen. More so than any other animal because cats just find you. Feral dogs or guinea pigs showing up on the doorstop is not a likely occurrence, but cats have a way of picking out the fur friendly people a mile away! And trying to keep a newly adopted, unaltered cat indoors when she is in heat can be a difficult task (which is how we ended up with 6....all fixed now BTW).

I would base my opinion of someone on their behaviours and actions more than the number of creatures that share their home

#64 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamato View Post
My opinion is that it's fine as long as the cats are well cared for, the house is sanitary and there is no breeding (i.e. cats are fixed).
Yes, this.

I have 8 cats of my own and a constant fluctuating population of fosters. I foster special needs cats for a nonprofit cat rescue. I have had upwards of 20 cats in my house, and my house is currently on the market. The comments after showings indicate that the house shows well (fur, etc not a problem) and there is no cat smell.

When friends come over, they never know how many cats I have, because they never see more than 3 or 4 at a time. I have a great set up with many litterboxes cleaned daily, tons of cat furniture (so they dont nasty up the human furniture) and each cat gets loving and brushing as often as they want. All the cats are fixed except for the two kittens, and everyone gets needed veterinary care. I recently got some wonderful complements from my veterinarian on how I care for the cats. It was lovely.

Friends, family, vets, and community would describe me as stable, sane, and generous with my time, so I'm not going to let the negative judgments upthread bother me. These lives matter, and I'm working on being the change I would like to see in the world.

eta All are indoor only, except for 3. And I'm selling my house in town so I can move out to the country. Animal control knows about the cats, makes an exception for me, and has been known to show up at my doorstep with cats with special needs they have found. (Once they even brought me an injured pigeon to rehabilitate. Sure, bring the cat lady a bird! lol He survived, though, and flew away a couple months later. )
#65 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
15 cats!

You guys must have big ovens. I can only fit about 3 or 4 cats in mine at a time..

If you use the clay pot roasters, just be sure to set the oven low at first and then slowly move it up in small increments over 10 minutes. Teriyaki should do the trick for flavoring.

j/k. I love my cats. They are really tasty. mmmmm... here kitty kitty.
that is the best...

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#66 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
One of the owners of the restaurant where my husband works has something like 27 or 28 cats, and I've heard his house is disgusting. The funny part is that he thinks we're nuts for having four kids and actually calls anyone with any kids "breeders." To each his own!
Kind of funny, because I was thinking something similar as I was reading this thread.

I have three cats. One is recently acquired (adorable 2mo kitten). The other two are 13yo and 4yo. The most I've ever had at one time was four cats.

I'm not a fastidious housekeeper, but my house is not dirty. It gets cluttered, but that would be the case whether I had pets or not. My good friend does foster care for cats, and she also seems to get "stuck" with one every so often. She has five cats right now and her house is immaculate. Cleaning is her favorite hobby (so yes, she probably is a little off....lol).

I just find it amusing that so many people think more than two cats is a sign of weirdness, but MDC is full of people who have 4, 5, 6 (or more) children, which I don't get at all! To each their own, for real!

Also, I might add that I think 15 permanent cats is way too many, unless it's a country house and they're mostly outdoors.
#67 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama View Post
I don't really see how cats are dirty, they use a litter box and sleep for 14 hours a day.)
Well...

My 4yo cat won't eat his kibble out of the bowl. He swipes a whole pawful out and then eats it off the floor. The food area needs to be tidied constantly.

However, I would call that "messy" rather than "dirty."
#68 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
Well...

My 4yo cat won't eat his kibble out of the bowl. He swipes a whole pawful out and then eats it off the floor. The food area needs to be tidied constantly.

That is shockingly similar to how my 4 yo HUMAN child eats . Except she does that on the table and not the floor.........any more

#69 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I just find it amusing that so many people think more than two cats is a sign of weirdness, but MDC is full of people who have 4, 5, 6 (or more) children, which I don't get at all! To each their own, for real!

Also, I might add that I think 15 permanent cats is way too many, unless it's a country house and they're mostly outdoors.
big difference between a child and a cat. I'd have a dozen kids but have a hard time with two cats. Granted, the cat thing is a bit of an issue with me.

#70 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia View Post
big difference between a child and a cat. I'd have a dozen kids but have a hard time with two cats. Granted, the cat thing is a bit of an issue with me.
I agree. I said 2-3 seemed like enough cats b/c that would be a lot to me. I am not a cat/animal person at all. Yet, I am a baby/kid person. I would much rather have 8 children than 8 cats. Everyone is different - and I assume that's why the OP asked.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#71 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrez View Post
I haven't read all of the replies but in my opinion it depends on the level of dedication in taking care of them. One of the executives where DH used to work had fifty or so cats. But she lived in a mansion and had a full time cat nanny that scooped litter boxes constantly as well as groomed, washed, played with kitties etc.

I still envy the cat nanny job because I love cats! The cat nanny was making almost $40,000 a year!
I work with a breeder, she pays vet techs to come to her house and help out with her cats. They also watch them when she's at the shows on the weekend. Because of my past experience with exhibition, etc. I've been to several breeders homes. The most reputable breeders had such clean catteries, with no smell. They invest a lot of $$$ into their animals, so they provided well for their wellbeing. And, many of them added a ventilation system to their house because they also lived their themselve.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#72 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Well...

One of my late cats went a step beyond that. She would pick up the food with her paw in a scooping motion and put it UP TO HER MOUTH! It was so messy, and weird, and that's how she ate. She ate with her paws (and yes, made a mess LOL).

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#73 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I agree. I said 2-3 seemed like enough cats b/c that would be a lot to me. I am not a cat/animal person at all. Yet, I am a baby/kid person. I would much rather have 8 children than 8 cats. Everyone is different - and I assume that's why the OP asked.
I definitely would say there is more of a biological urge to have kids than cats LOL.

Cats IMHO are much less work than kids, but kids are more rewarding. Which is why so many of us have large families.

Incidentally, what's funny is in the cat fancy it's fairly common to see people who don't like kids. So, go figure? The times I've brought my kids to a show I get one of two responses: either an extreme amount of gushing and fawning over them from the retired grandparent hobby breeders or the icky uncomfortable looks (why are they here) from the never had any kids don't know what to do with them people.

#74 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like kids and I have 5 cats.

I was always raised with countless cats, dogs, and turtles (and the occasional exotic iguana or hedgehog, etc.). I think it's only "too many" when you can't keep up with them anymore.

I have no problem keeping up with my cats. If dh wouldn't kill me and I had a decent other place for a litter box, I'd have more. But I'm a crazy cat lady to the core. I can't imagine going a day without one of my babies. They are the perfect roommates. They are quiet, clean, independent, and are good at sensing when you need some love without drooling all over you or barking incessantly at squirrels and leaves.

My house is fur covered, but that's because my 1 and only dog sheds insanely. I mean, insanely. It's gross and I never had hair issues until we got her. My cats are very clean, but one has stomach issues and pukes quite a bit. I just keep on top of it. But then again, my dog had a vaccine reaction and vomits more than that every day. My kids are *far* messier than my cats could ever dream of.

We each have "our" cat but we do share, so they're definitely not under-loved, in fact, I think they'd like to be left alone more. When I was little my mom used to volunteer at a cat rescue home and there were hundreds there. It was absolute heaven for me closed up in a room with dozens of cats and loving on them.

My cats are all indoors only and happy as can be. When I was younger I think the most we ever had was 17 cats. But that may be an undercount. Some went outdoors sometimes. We rescued a lot and had a lot dumped off at our house. But we fed them and loved them.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#75 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

OP here saying that it's kinda annoying to have had this moved to Pets. I actually more was wondering if other people agreed with me that having 15 cats was a sign of someone who's off...not truly asking how many cats are actually too many. I guess I titled it wrong, but I suspect since it's been moved here people might get mad at me! (I assume this forum is pretty full of per lovers!)

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#76 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
OP here saying that it's kinda annoying to have had this moved to Pets. I actually more was wondering if other people agreed with me that having 15 cats was a sign of someone who's off...not truly asking how many cats are actually too many. I guess I titled it wrong, but I suspect since it's been moved here people might get mad at me! (I assume this forum is pretty full of per lovers!)

I'm sorry you are annoyed. Definitely in TAO things get more attention. This forum is usually quieter in comparison.

I think that having 15 cats *can* be a sign of being 'off'. It could mean hoarding, it could mean eccentric. Most people I've known who have had that many cats are either hobby breeders or the type that rescue every animal that winds up on somebody's doorstep.

I think the issue is whether they properly care for the animals. Having a lot of animals in one space requires a lot of upkeep, maintenance and multi-cat households are likely to have illness. If the person is letting the cats run free too outside and inside then likely there is going to be a serious illness issue unless the cats are vaccinated and treated with flea preventative.

Animal hoarding nowadays is considered more as a 'mental illness'. If you do some google searches about it you can read more. I've seen one horrendous episode of the A&E program Hoarders...this was a woman and her husband that thought they were 'helping' by feeding and housing all the strays. It was so bad. OMG. Cats came and went, the whole house was covered with hair, urine, feces. And, when they cleaned it out, I think they fould like 40 or something dead ones (quite a few of those were dead kittens too I believe)...illness was rampant, and most of the cats had to be euthanized. But, even in that case I think they neutered/spayed 6 cats and returned those altered ones to the couple after they cleaned their house out.

#77 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 PM
2xy

I just read an article a few minutes ago (online, local newspaper) that over 40 cats were removed from a home in Providence today. The cat-lady had to be taken to the hospital for a cat scratch, and apparently the house was disgusting enough that the workers were wearing coveralls and masks.
#78 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
If cats are kept indoors and eat a commercial kibble diet or properly handled human grade raw food, the likeliness that they can shed toxoplasmosis is very slim.
Shh!! Don't tell DH! I got him convinced that I could die of toxoplasyou know and that's why he has to clean the litterbox instead of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia View Post
and while he strives to be super clean, his house still smells like a cat
I had a cat who smelled exactly like fresh cinnamon once. Seriously. I would not be sad if my house smelled like that cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrez View Post
I haven't read all of the replies but in my opinion it depends on the level of dedication in taking care of them. One of the executives where DH used to work had fifty or so cats. But she lived in a mansion and had a full time cat nanny that scooped litter boxes constantly as well as groomed, washed, played with kitties etc.

I still envy the cat nanny job because I love cats! The cat nanny was making almost $40,000 a year!
drop I WANT TO BE A CAT NANNY WHEN I GROW UP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
I had three for a while and that felt like way too many.
This is my general opinion. We adopted one kitten. He was heartbreakingly lonely so we got him a brother. Two was great. We got a third just for fun, the third was a PITA and I don't know if it was just the cat or having 3 of them at once that almost killed us. 3rd Cat found a nice home with kids and no other cats and we are back down to 2. I miss that kitten sometimes, but it's much easier/saner for me to only have two cats. As much as I'd like to adopt every cat in the world.

Quote:
15 cats!

You guys must have big ovens. I can only fit about 3 or 4 cats in mine at a time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
One of my late cats went a step beyond that. She would pick up the food with her paw in a scooping motion and put it UP TO HER MOUTH! It was so messy, and weird, and that's how she ate. She ate with her paws (and yes, made a mess LOL).
One of my kittens was a bottlefed baby, and when we started her on wet food she would literally dive headfirst into the open can of cat food and BATHE in it. That cat freaking REEKED. She also had a bald spot on her head where her fur came off since she kept rubbing her head against the can of food. That was one gross cat.

OP, you can never have too many cats. Except that you can Like I said, if I had the room, the time, and the money, I would adopt as many cats as I possibly could. There is nothing sadder to me than a feral cat. But for my sanity, 2 is plenty.

(of course of my 2, one of them is smarter than Stephen Hawking and is plotting world domination, and the other one is dumber than a stick and is afraid of the dark. So that could be why I feel the way I do.)

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#79 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 10:50 AM

Krisis: now that cinnamon smelling cat would be awesome. Wonder if I could find one that smells like peppermint....

#80 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:

: No offense to anyone that has a lot of kids but I'd rather have a house full of cats then I would kids! I love my kids, but whew!

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#81 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:

I think that having 15 cats *can* be a sign of being 'off'. It could mean hoarding, it could mean eccentric. Most people I've known who have had that many cats are either hobby breeders or the type that rescue every animal that winds up on somebody's doorstep.

I think the issue is whether they properly care for the animals. Having a lot of animals in one space requires a lot of upkeep, maintenance and multi-cat households are likely to have illness. If the person is letting the cats run free too outside and inside then likely there is going to be a serious illness issue unless the cats are vaccinated and treated with flea preventative.

Have you seen the youtube of the woman in Russia with 130 in a 2 room apartment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9P1DmgXOCg
#82 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 12:28 PM

Without reading other responses....

My first thought would be "crazy cat lady".

I love pets and have had multiple pets as a child - 1 dog, 1 cat, 2 birds, etc. so I am not anti-pet.

For me, the max number of cats would be 3 if no other furry pets (i.e. no dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, etc.). If I had 1 dog, then max 2 cats.... 2 dogs, max 1 cat... those are my personal limits.

If it was a cat-only household I'd say 3 max. Remember, as cats get into old age they can require expensive medications and extra care to maintain their quality of life. I believe that every single cat deserves the best care we can give them. If 3 or 4 or more cats require expensive medical treatments (surgery or medication) can she really afford it?

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#83 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
: No offense to anyone that has a lot of kids but I'd rather have a house full of cats then I would kids! I love my kids, but whew!
DH would be the one to point out that cats are MUCH cheaper to care for, and have lower college education costs.

#84 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
DH would be the one to point out that cats are MUCH cheaper to care for, and have lower college education costs.

You'd be surprised. My older cat speaks 23 languages. She just has a very strong accent. There are no cat related scholarships to speak of.
#85 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
You'd be surprised. My older cat speaks 23 languages. She just has a very strong accent. There are no cat related scholarships to speak of.
See...I get around this by adopting older 'retired' animals.

Though my oldest girl is a massage therapist, she was middle age (6) when we got her. She came to me like that, so I just assume that her previous owners took care of the expenses because we never got a bill.

I definitely reccommend that you seek those kinds of cats out. The ones that give massages are **THE BEST**.

#86 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
See...I get around this by adopting older 'retired' animals.

Though my oldest girl is a massage therapist, she was middle age (6) when we got her. She came to me like that, so I just assume that her previous owners took care of the expenses because we never got a bill.

I definitely reccommend that you seek those kinds of cats out. The ones that give massages are **THE BEST**.
Oooh, we used to have a cat who was a massage therapist. She was a stray who adopted us. She must have been fresh out of college.

My current cat must still be in college while we're away at work. He loves to do drugs and he sleeps passed out on his back all day.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#87 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 01:49 PM

We have 4 right now (all rescues)...but we adopted the previous homeowner's method--they had 8 and I swear you would not have known they had any when we looked at the house. The litter boxes, food, and water are outside on a screened porch with a lockable cat door (dh is not a cat fan so they're mostly out when he's here, and always out when we have company, etc., unless they request them to come in) and astroturf-covered shelves for them to sit on and look out the screen, which catch the hair. (And we put up plastic around it in winter and add a heat source for them.)

Sounds like the lady with 15 might do something similar--I've also petsat before for homes with cat-yards that kept all the "stuff" outside and were literally immaculate showcase-style homes despite 2-6 cats.

OTOH, my mother has 2 and her house is icky--she never cleans, so there's fur on every cloth surface, the cats puke in hidden corners and under beds and it sits there, the litter boxes aren't cleaned often enough, and she uses the strongly scented litter that makes me want to puke when it's clean and the strongly scented greasy cat food that stinks up her whole house (honestly, I'd rather smell a dirty litter box than her cat food and cat litter!). She has a decreased sense of smell and won't admit it, thinks I'm picking on her when I try to suggest that she might talk to her doctor about it (you should see the food she eats--it's like cardboard, no flavor at all). And of course her "friends" won't tell her the truth <sigh>.

So...It depends on how the cats are kept and such...sure 15 is more than most people have but who are we to judge (especially sight unseen) ?

My 3 wild children do a lot more to trash our house than the 4 cats (or the 6 dogs) .

We do animal rescue and I have seen a wide range of places over the years--completely trashed homes with double-digit dogs or cats or both...and places that were quite nice with double-digit dogs or cats or both...and places that were trashed before the 1-2 cats or dogs got there and didn't improve with the animal addition! Although the trailer with the "rescued" horse living in the kitchen until it fell through the rotted floor was probably the most "special" <sigh>...but anyway, I never judge based solely on numbers!

-lava
#88 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post
For me, no more than two indoor cats. Any more and I find the amount of hair, tracked litter, and litter/food smell really gross, even if the person is on top of cleaning on a regular basis. I've never been to a house with 3+ cats that has been a really pleasant place to visit for me.

I have 3 cats and most people when coming over for the first time and see one of my cats had no idea we had a cat! I am a crazy cleaner and I smell the poo when no one else does and have it get cleaned asap. all of mine are indoor because for me it is safety reasons as we have lots and lots of indoor outdoor kitties on my street and it makes me uncomfortable because I hear the cat fights a lot

15 is a lot. I do not see how any one person can handle that many cats themselves.

I have also been to a one cat home and it smell horrid! cat hair on everything and anything. I wipe the counters about 4 times a day because since our mama cat passed last year my cats think they now run the house! but as I was saying the one cat house was gross and yet I have been to homes with 7 cats and you cannot tell there are any cats their until you see them I really think it depends on how someone cares for the kitties and their home if it is to many cats or not.

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#89 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 PM

One. One is waaay too many for me.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#90 of 103 Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post

Also Pinoikoi you are killin' me over here.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page