Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2009, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningminny View Post
One.
That isn't nice... But to be honest, I grew up not liking cats and only changed my ways when my sister moved in with her cat - who I fell in love with.

To the OP, yes, I think someone with 15 cats is off. I wouldn't be afraid of her, but I'd think she was not entirely normal.

As to number of cats one can reasonably have, if we are talking indoor cats (which I am) then two if you have kids and three or four if you don't. I originally thought two regardless, but have friends without kids who have three or four and that seems to work fine - but those couples don't have kids to take care of as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 04:17 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
As to number of cats one can reasonably have, if we are talking indoor cats (which I am) then two if you have kids and three or four if you don't. I originally thought two regardless, but have friends without kids who have three or four and that seems to work fine - but those couples don't have kids to take care of as well.
Hmm. When I had four cats, my kids were 9 and 12 years old. Parenting older kids is not the same as caring for toddlers.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post

I have 5 entirely indoor cats and 4 free ranging (1 to 8 yo) kids. They are all well loved and taken care of. To each their own.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
I definitely reccommend that you seek those kinds of cats out. The ones that give massages are **THE BEST**.

My Wall-E kitty he massages me every single morning I wake up to a nice side or shoulder massage! What better man can you find than that Ohhh and he barely talks back and he normally does what I ask he is perfect! Now to work on the humans :nana

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Old 11-08-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William's Mom View Post
I don't know if this is a question that can be discussed "hypothetically" due to all the possible varieties in scenarios...

I've personally known homes with only one pet that were FILTHY.

I've also personally known homes with pets in the double digits that were so clean that they looked like "show homes." They were spotless with no smell, visible animal hair, etc.

So I think the answer is: "It depends."
Yep! I had a friend with 9 indoor cats in a small one bedroom apartment with no issues with cat smell and amazingly little hair (not none, but very, very little).

I have a family member with two stressed cats that spray and nasty smells everywhere. I have another family member with two healthy well cared for cats and no smell issue, but the fur is crazy.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Is 15 cats too many? Assuming that the owner can afford to vet that many animals, I think that as long as all the cats use their litter boxes and not the furniture, closets, etc. as a toilet and there is a minimum of one litter box per cat and the boxes are scooped daily and cleaned thoroughly at least once a week, 3+ cats can live in a home without a major cat-stink issue. Problem is, most homes with multiple cats fail to meet these conditions.

We have two cats, and to be honest, I find that our dog is smellier and hairier than the cats. And that's my assessment as a DOG person! If I were a super fastidious housekeeper (I'm not), I'd definitely have cats rather than dogs.

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:52 PM

This thread makes me kind of sad. There is a lot of judgement. Its not the number of animals, its how they are cared for....

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 11-09-2009, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
This thread makes me kind of sad. There is a lot of judgement. Its not the number of animals, its how they are cared for....
I agree.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 11-09-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post

I agree. That's how I feel, too. I felt sad reading this thread...
Old 11-09-2009, 01:03 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMaegie'sMama View Post
We have two cats, and to be honest, I find that our dog is smellier and hairier than the cats. And that's my assessment as a DOG person! If I were a super fastidious housekeeper (I'm not), I'd definitely have cats rather than dogs.
I love animals in general, but do prefer cats over dogs. Our little dog recently passed over, but yes....he was far stinkier than the cats. He shed about the same as the cats, but he was a small, short-haired dog.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
I love animals in general, but do prefer cats over dogs. Our little dog recently passed over, but yes....he was far stinkier than the cats. He shed about the same as the cats, but he was a small, short-haired dog.
What you and OP have written is my experience as well--from growing up with dogs. It's the main reason why we haven't gotten a dog. I kind of feel actually like a 'lazy pet owner' in a way because they are so much easier to take care of, and the fact that my cats are so outgoing and friendly--we get so much affection out of them for the amount of effort they require. I think sometimes that many people 'who don't like cats' have not experienced personalities in cats like we have. This is because the people I know who are 'dog people' often describe cats as stand ofish, keeping to themselves and not wanting to interact much. I think they've just had bad luck in the cat personality department!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:01 PM

They could be spending a billion dollars n one of those poop flusher things (you know, because of them going so much)or have the kitties potty trained!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:41 PM

I didn't read all the posts, just the first 3 pages. While I tend to agree 15 cats are too many, I don't agree that more than 2 is not "normal" (saw a few posts that leaned towards that). We have 4 indoor only cats, 1 indoor dog and 2 outdoor dogs. All are spayed/neutered and have their annual shots along with every other month grooming. When DH was deployed, it was alot for me to handle with a baby but I did it and the house was clean; I am a clean freak. All of our furbabies were rescued, either from the human society or off the streets. DD does wonderful with them, and they with her. And like others have said, unless you saw my kids, you would not know we had 4 cats and a dog in the house.

Mom to Ashlee - Preemie born at 29 weeks; she is very healthy now at 18mths!

User Tag List