Animals having seizures from vaccinations? X-posted in Vaccinations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2009, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just heard of an acquaintance whose horse was vaccinated and began sweating profusely and having seizures. Two days later it died. Have you ever heard of animals having adverse reactions to vaxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 01:57 PM

Absolutely! This is why I go very minimal on my dogs' vaccines. A lot of times they are not that extreme though and vets won't consider them a reaction (hence it doesn't get reported).

Here's a website I use as a reference often and their vaccine info section:
http://dogaware.com/misc.html#vaccination
Old 11-07-2009, 05:33 PM

oh yes.....and vets are usually pretty aware of this too....at least compared to peds

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 PM

I had a ferret go into anaphylaxis after routine vaccination once. He would have died had we not gotten him promptly back to the vets (and actually our vet ended up sending him across town to another vet when he couldn't get him stabilized). Needless to say he was never vaccinated again.

Since then I've been careful with vaccines- I make sure I will be home and with the animal all day following vaccination, we wait at the vets office for a period of time afterward, we separate vaccines, particularly those that have a higher risk for reaction, and I use an alternate vaccine schedule.

Thats just my own personal experience. I've heard numerous stories of dogs and cats having reactions as well, ranging from mild to severe.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:16 PM

My previous dog had a reaction to a vaccine, he wound up with a huge abscess on the site.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

User Tag List