fleas fleas and...more fleas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have four dogs. A few weeks ago an aquaintence of mine stopped by with her new puppy and apparently the pup had fleas because all my dogs have them. I have done the topical flea treatment on them, and flea shampoos as well as washed all of our beddings and such. They still have fleas and i'm still combatting them...I assume that the fleas must be laying eggs because the dogs are treated so my carpet and furniture and matresses are all in "ICK" mode to me. But i'm six months pregnant, so what in the heck can I use to kill any eggs larvae and fleas in furniture and carpeting that is safe for me, fetus, my 3 year old daughter and the dogs? I heard salt is deadly to the eggs so I scrubbed the carpet w/ my steam cleaner and salt water, and spritzed the couch w/ salt water from a spray bottle...will this work? What else? I'm nervious to have to bomb the house since we are stuck inside because of the weather and being pregnant....anything would be helpful!!

Summer--momma to Cassie (9-27-06) and Dominic 1-28-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 PM

What topical treatment did you use?

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

sergeants....thats the maker of it, its called ....pregnancy brain.... sorry the type starts with a B i'm sure of it but def. made by sergeants.

Summer--momma to Cassie (9-27-06) and Dominic 1-28-10
Old 11-13-2009, 11:24 PM

Frontline has worked for us for MANY flea infestations... they were minor, in retrospect.

However wad a MAJOR infestation last winter. Even Frontline couldn't keep up. I'm thinking it was because we had piles of leaves on our front patio that had gotten damp and were harboring tons of fleas and we just couldn't keep up. We finally had an "aha!" moment and swept the leaves away; the Frontline began working again... end of fleas!

Never would have thought of that....
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM

That's amazing about the leaves! We have a flea problem too and keep bathing our lab but STILL fleas. We used Dr. Bronner's eucalytus castile on him and actually found dead ones on his fur after his fur had dried, so I know the soap is killing them. I guess now we've got to rake to stop the problem. I wouldn't have thought of this so thanks for sharing.

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 PM

When I did foster care we got in a lot of dogs with fleas, I gave them all a bath with dog soap with a bunch of eucalyptus oil in it, then vacuumed everything with borox (used it like carpet fresh). Never had another flea.

I always put the oil in the shampoo, I hear tea tree oil works the same. I also put it in the kids shampoo, just incase they come into contact with lice.

Good luck!

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:59 PM

I use and like Comfortis for our dogs...haven't seen a single flea since we stared using this about two years ago
Old 12-31-2009, 10:50 PM

We're having a flea problem also. I have two big dogs and four cats. One of my long hair cats is very large and I cannot get rid of the fleas on him! We have used Frontline (which does not get rid of fleas on any of our pets anymore), Revolution, Capstar, a natural flea powder, diatomaceous earth, chemical flea shampoo and flea comb afterward, and natural flea shampoo.

The fleas will never go away!!! We don't have carpet, and we just have one couch with a cover. I've washed the cover many times.

I'm going to try eucalpyus oil. Do you think it's ok to spritz my fat long haired cat with the oil diluted in...something? Bathing him is like a death wish.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 12-31-2009, 11:12 PM

We had a horrible infestation back in Sept/Oct. We actually bombed the house and stayed away for 2 days (1 day for the bombing, one day for the house to air out.) While we were gone (we took the dogs to a friends house) we gave each dog a good washing down and then a capstar pill. Then we started the Comfortis Pill and haven't had any issues since. Ours came in when we got some kittens off freecycle who were indoor/outdoor kittens. We had to get rid of the kittens because I couldn't handle the litter smell and that actually helped.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 01-01-2010, 09:41 AM

My heart goes out to you. Fleas will drive you crazy. We got free kittens from craigslist that infested our home. We tried bombing it but that didn't get rid of them too much. Then I was afraid of the poison hurting my 3 y/o and new baby so my mom and MIL washed everything down and I took all bedding and clothes to the laudromat and washed everything. The only thing that worked was to give capstar and then get Advantage from the vet and put it onto the the cats when they were old enough. I vacummed twice/day religiously. Eventually the fleas would jump onto the cats and die because of the Advantage. We did not find the eucal. oil to be effective because I think we had too big of an infestation. On the bright side, my floors were never that clean again!
Old 01-01-2010, 03:27 PM

We're still dealing with fleas with our lab. He had 1st dose comfortis a month ago. Do we need to give it to him month-to-month to get it to completely work? When we first gave it to him, there was definitely a die off. We vacuum every day now too, but went away for a week and when we picked up dog from kennel it seemed like they were back in full force. We don't know if it was from the kennel or from our house. Poor dog ... he's scratching so much. For those using comfortis, do you give it every month?

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 01-01-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny4Them View Post
We're still dealing with fleas with our lab. He had 1st dose comfortis a month ago. Do we need to give it to him month-to-month to get it to completely work? When we first gave it to him, there was definitely a die off. We vacuum every day now too, but went away for a week and when we picked up dog from kennel it seemed like they were back in full force. We don't know if it was from the kennel or from our house. Poor dog ... he's scratching so much. For those using comfortis, do you give it every month?
Comfortis is a month to month pill.

Capstar pills are the quick fix one dose pills you give to emergently get rid of fleas.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 01-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've not heard of Comfortis, but our vet recommends Advantage over Frontline for fleas. Frequent bathing will kill the ones on the dog, too. If you're using an OTC grocery store type flea product I would really recommend trying Advantage instead. The grocery store ones are often a lot harsher than the vet ones (although you can get Frontline and Advantage at pet stores now w/o a prescription). We've used Program, too. It's a monthly pill so maybe like Comfortis? It won't kill the fleas, but makes them sterile. You might want to check into something like that. I've also heard good things about boric acid and/or Borax applied to carpets. Frequent vacuuming and throwing the bag away helps, too.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 01-02-2010, 02:50 PM

I would be concerned about using any of the topical flea treatments (frontline, seargants, advantage, etc) while pregnant or with a baby in the house. They are pesticides; the same stuff that's in the bombs. There are lots of ways to treat for fleas without using pesticides:

Salt works great. I give my dog a saltwater bath when he gets itching. I pour salt along his back, rub it in a bit, then rinse off. If your dog likes to swim and you live near the ocean, take him for a walk on the beach and let him swim. Worked wonders for my last dog. Exercise and flea treatment in one!

Borax, baking soda, diatomaceous earth all kill fleas. Sprinkle it in your carpets and then vacuum. Just vacuuming frequently will also help a lot. Don't let the dog ingest the diatomaceous earth unless it's food grade. (or the borax either) You can also use these on the dog instead of salt, and salt on the carpets.

Get machine-washable bedding for the dog, and wash it regularly. We don't have dog beds; those are too hard to clean. We just have a piece of fleece, folded over a few times and sewn down, for our large dog and a regular pillow for our small dog. I throw the whole things in the washer and dryer.

Lastly, you can buy the non-pesticide ingredient in the topical treatment, which is a flea growth regulator, by itself. It doesn't kill fleas outright like the pesticide; it prevents the young fleas from ever reaching adulthood. It has no effect on mammals. You can spray it all over the house - especially useful for things that can't be cleaned easily, like upholstery. One spray will last for 3-6 months. I've never seen it in a local store; you'll probably have to order it online. The stuff I have is called Nylar.

Loving my girl since Feb 2010! vax!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 PM

I used to be concerned about the topical treatments also, until I reached desperation level! My DH applies it and then DD and I don't touch the pet for a few days. I'm sure it rubs off and everything, but... Desperate to get rid of the fleas!

The DE we have is food grade but it can't get well enough into the fur of our long haired cats to kill the fleas. I've tried and tried! We were going to get the cats shaved but it cost $102 per cat! holy crap!

I'm very, very interested in this Nylar stuff! Maybe this will solve our flea problem combined with using DE on the short haired pets and maybe Captsar pills for the long haired cats.

I feel like I can't give birth in a house full of fleas. But I also can't give birth in a house full of chemicals either! It's causing me great distress now that I'm nesting.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 AM

If the fleas got to desperation level, I'd probably get the ingestible pills to kill the adults, then renew the non-pesticide treatments with more vigor. At least then the pesticide isn't getting rubbed off on carpets, furniture, etc. It's probably in the poop, but at least that's in little packages outside!

My parents' dog gets the topical treatments, yet has more fleas than our dog. Our dog gets a bath after visits from my parents' dog; otherwise he'll obviously show signs of flea infestation. Frequent baths may well be not feasible for cats, lol!

This is the Nylar product I have. I dilute it for spraying around the house. It has a slight insecticidal soap-like odor.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:52 AM

I've read that dawn dish soap latered thickly on and left to "soak" for a few minutes kills fleas. A neighbor did this when she had a bad flea problem. She literally washed her dog daily and used the Diam. E in the yard.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You know, I think any soap will kill fleas if it gets to them. They'll drown. If there are a few left on the dog you can pick them off after toweling down while they're still stunned. Frequent bathing really does help.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 01-04-2010, 11:20 AM

Lots of differing recommendations here, which makes sense since fleas seem to respond differently to treatments, for some reason. I was surprised that Frontline stopped working for my dog, and my vet explained that they think fleas might build up a resistance to a medicine that has been used for awhile.

I switched her to Advantix one time (not a possibility for cat owners as cats will die from it) and she had an awful reaction. Comfortis has been recommended. It is said to kill any flea or larvae right away, but I'm uncomfortable giving my dog a systemic drug that is so strong. She also has a sensitive stomach, and Comfortis can be tough on dogs' tummies. I'm still searching for a solution, although fleas with the cold aren't a problem right now. Researching any flea medicine doesn't make me very happy with what I find, and I always feel strange applying the medicine to her skin each month. But I do it because fleas are AWFUL!

Baths using stuff like Dawn will kill living fleas on your dog, but it won't solve the problem. My dog is good for her baths, but I don't want to deal with all the hair and labor and splattered water regularly. Flea shampoos are strong, and can dry out dog's skin, so they should not be used frequently (according to my vet). In fact, my vet recommends not using them at all.

Yes to the washing of bedding. Frequent vacumming of everything.

The fleas here are bad. My neighbors don't own any pets, yet they've had to treat their house for fleas! Treating the yard area is an important step. I didn't have an infestation, so it was easy to get a handle of. But I might consider bombing my house if it was really bad.

Let us know how you get a handle on it! Good luck.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 AM

I'm definitely buying the Nylar! What do you use to spray it? I saw a pump sprayer on there, but it was $59. Can't afford that along with the $43 Nylar.

I have four cats and two 60 pound dogs, so I have to buy a lot of flea treatment. That stuff is expensive, but of course my rescue pets are worth it...I have to keep telling myself that.

If I just spray the Nylar everywhere in the house and then rub DE on all the pets (assuming it won't kill 100% of fleas on the 2 long haired cats) do you think the flea problem will go away eventually? Even if the 2 long haired cats still have some live fleas, they won't be able to lay eggs and reproduce so they will eventually just die off, right?

Our 25 pound long haired cat has been the cause of the flea problem because he was too large for the weight limit of all the flea treatments we used, and fleas hid from baths in his very thick plush fur...

Last night in bed fleas were biting my arm and I just wanted to rip my hair out and cry!

I can't bathe my two big dogs everyday because not only am I pregnant and feeling like crap, but they are TERRIBLE for baths. If I do it inside then they destroy our tiny bathroom with fur and water. It's way below freezing outside. I can't afford to groom them daily, or even weekly, at a doggy bath place. And bathing my cats just dangerous. I might be able to accomplish it with a lot of kitty valium. It took us more than two hours to do the one big long haired cat.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
I used to be concerned about the topical treatments also, until I reached desperation level! My DH applies it and then DD and I don't touch the pet for a few days. I'm sure it rubs off and everything, but... Desperate to get rid of the fleas!

The DE we have is food grade but it can't get well enough into the fur of our long haired cats to kill the fleas. I've tried and tried! We were going to get the cats shaved but it cost $102 per cat! holy crap!
I don't worry about the topical flea treatments in pregnancy. I just don't touch the spot if I can help it until it's completely dry. If I do touch it I make sure to wash my hands really well with soap and water.

102 dollars to shave the cat?! That's crazy! When I lived in NY it only cost us about 25 dollars at PetSmart (not all petsmarts have a cat groomer, but this one did). Moved back to NC and it was closer to $50 dollars at petsmart. Took him to his vet to get shaved and it was about $60. I wonder if they're charging you more based on his weight? My cat is "only" about 12 pounds... but he's a himilayan, so certainly not lacking in the fur department. And I just tell them not to bathe him if they want to keep their fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleC View Post
Lots of differing recommendations here, which makes sense since fleas seem to respond differently to treatments, for some reason. I was surprised that Frontline stopped working for my dog, and my vet explained that they think fleas might build up a resistance to a medicine that has been used for awhile.

I switched her to Advantix one time (not a possibility for cat owners as cats will die from it) and she had an awful reaction.
My vet said that they've seen Frontline stop working on a lot of pets. We switched the cat to Revolution. But honestly, we hadn't had any problems anyhow... I still don't think that what she thought was flea dirt was flea dirt. I think it was our regular red clay dirt... so that's why it turned rusty colored when she wet it.

We do use Advantix even though we have a cat. Our cat does not lick our dog. We make sure to put it on just before bed. And it should be safe after it's dry, unless your cat really grooms your dog a lot.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 01-04-2010, 12:05 PM

I tried calling both of our Petsmarts in town but neither of them have a cat groomer. My vet used to have one, but as luck would have it she just quit! The only place I could find that would take a 25 pound long haired cat was The Cat Hospital and it was so expensive for just a shave. He's not even matted!

He came from a shelter, but he's like a Turkish Van. Very heavy bodied and large with extremely long cottony waterproof fur. He's all white with an orange patch on his back and the two orange spots on the middle of his head just like the Turkish Van should be. And he likes to swim, but not by force...then you're battling 25 pounds of pissed of flying fur and claws.

That's good to know about Advantix...my cats actually do groom my dogs! They attack the dogs' tails when they wag, and they play wrestle and bite the dogs' ears and faces. Sometimes when the dogs are curled up sleeping the cats will come up and groom them.

My cats also groom each other a lot, which has been a problem before because they'll lick off all of the topical flea treatment before it can soak in.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Here's my recommendation. It takes a little time, lots of care, and is really effective (at least for me it was both times I did it).

You know those plug in lights with the water bowls underneath that you can buy to get rid of fleas, it works like that.

Since you have carpet, you'd need to be extra careful I'd think. I didn't have carpet.

I put out a white shallow wide bowl, with soapy/dawn water in it, then put a candle (in a sturdy holder) IN the water. You do need a nice ring of water between the candle and the edge of the bowl. You don't need a large candle...just a reasonable one. Light the candle. The light attracts the fleas, they end up in the water and die. I did this for several nights in a row...like at 4 am til 6 or I'd stay up til midnight with the candle lit. Usually by the third night 80% of the fleas have died and you can tell the difference. Our animals, we just bathed them with dawn once I think.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowhippets View Post
I use and like Comfortis for our dogs...haven't seen a single flea since we stared using this about two years ago
Ditto. Comfortis is great!

It does say on the packaging to give with a meal, so I assume some dogs may have tummy issues with it. My dog hasn't had a problem though.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:25 PM

I did not read responses....

I am a vet tech and have seen lots of fleas...and lots of products. The average product sold in a pet store...is not efficient enough.

Advantage(and Plus) are both great:

It is safe with children...I advise just putting on before bed and then it has time to dry....need to spread the hair and squeeze tiny tube on skin....do not need to shave pet. Is absorbed quickly!

•stops biting fleas in three to five minutes1
•kills fleas quickly, which helps reduce the risk of secondary problems such as flea allergy dermatitis and tapeworms
•within 12 hours, 98-100 percent of fleas are dead
•kills over 99% of flea larvae within 20 minutes2
•kills 100% of chewing lice within one week and lasts for a full month3
•waterproof

It is a once a month treatment/preventive

Vacuum the house (throw away bag) launder pet bedding.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 AM

Here is a really interesting link to the dos and don'ts of DE and pets. Not sure where the research came from, but I've heard that pool=grade DE is unsafem esp if you vacuum it up as it's bad for people.
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Pepper44 I think eucalyptus is harmful to cats so be careful!

I'm in the south and it seems many people are complaining about increased fleas this year, I wonder what the cause is? Our vet says that fleas are hearty and can withstand cold temps outside.

grouphug.gifPenny4them  

Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilDaisy View Post

I put out a white shallow wide bowl, with soapy/dawn water in it, then put a candle (in a sturdy holder) IN the water. You do need a nice ring of water between the candle and the edge of the bowl. You don't need a large candle...just a reasonable one. Light the candle. The light attracts the fleas, they end up in the water and die. I did this for several nights in a row...like at 4 am til 6 or I'd stay up til midnight with the candle lit. Usually by the third night 80% of the fleas have died and you can tell the difference. Our animals, we just bathed them with dawn once I think.
Great idea! Hiw did you know where to put the trap though?

grouphug.gifPenny4them  

Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post
I did not read responses....

I am a vet tech and have seen lots of fleas...and lots of products. The average product sold in a pet store...is not efficient enough.

Advantage(and Plus) are both great:

It is safe with children...I advise just putting on before bed and then it has time to dry....need to spread the hair and squeeze tiny tube on skin....do not need to shave pet. Is absorbed quickly!
The problem I have with this is that, it may be absorbed quickly, but the way this chemical works is that it gets absorbed through the hair follicles and then gets distributed to EVERY part of the dog's body. That's how it keeps working for four weeks. It's not just like you put it in a few spots on the top of the dog, and then it kills the fleas and then once it's dry, there's no more chemical. That's not how it works. I really struggle with thinking that this is safe for my dog, myself, and my family.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
I'm definitely buying the Nylar! What do you use to spray it? I saw a pump sprayer on there, but it was $59. Can't afford that along with the $43 Nylar.

I have four cats and two 60 pound dogs, so I have to buy a lot of flea treatment. That stuff is expensive, but of course my rescue pets are worth it...I have to keep telling myself that.

If I just spray the Nylar everywhere in the house and then rub DE on all the pets (assuming it won't kill 100% of fleas on the 2 long haired cats) do you think the flea problem will go away eventually? Even if the 2 long haired cats still have some live fleas, they won't be able to lay eggs and reproduce so they will eventually just die off, right?
Nylar has a pricey upfront cost, but it's concentrated and each treatment lasts for months, so it's not as pricey as it seems. You can use hand sprayers, but if you want to do your whole house, I highly recommend getting a small pump sprayer to save your hands. I bought mine for about $25 from a local store.

Be sure your DE is food grade if you put it on your animals, because the garden/pool type is poisonous to ingest. I found DE a bit tricky to apply to my dog, it gave a weird texture to his fur, but it worked wonders on my chickens. Experiment with how you apply it and you may find something that works. You don't need much at all.

User Tag List