How do I get my dog to stop eating rabbit poop - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have rabbits living in the field behind my back yard. They come under the fence at night and into my yard and leave little piles of rabbit poop. I had noticed the dog nibbling at the grass and then finally figured out that she's eating the poop. I've read that there are parasites she can get from rabbit poop so I'd like to stop this. She's generally not a poop eater otherwise. I was reading about those products you can add to their food that supposedly keeps them from eating poop, but it looked to me like it only works on dog poop. Any thoughts on what I can do about this problem?
#2 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 01:54 PM

I think it's just a dog thing.

My dogs love to eat chicken poop. They will follow a chicken around, nose to fluffy feather butt, just waiting for a "treat" and it's incredibly disgusting! They will also munch down in the litter box any chance they get.

Dogs are just gross.

I deworm once a year, more if I see issues (losing weight, diarrhea, worms in their poop, etc.) and we don't let them lick our faces anymore.

By the way, we have also had an issue with one dog eating the other one's poop. We tried the tablets that are supposed to make the poop too bitter and it didn't work! My coonhound still would eat the lab's poop. The only thing that stopped it from happening was switching to a diet of whole raw food. When we had to switch back to kibble, the dog poop eating started again! Aaaaah!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#3 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 03:20 PM

Dogs like eating poop; mine love sheep, goat & horse poo Typically, if they chow down a lot (1st time they get some from that species), they get sort of tired of it after a while & eat less of it.

So, either chicken wire the bottom of your fence to keep the bunnies out, or just keep an eye on your dog for parasites or whatever. Mine eat the wild bunnies too, & have never caught anything from it (I do deworm regularly).

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#4 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahbazin View Post
Dogs like eating poop; mine love sheep, goat & horse poo Typically, if they chow down a lot (1st time they get some from that species), they get sort of tired of it after a while & eat less of it.
I sure hope she does get sick of it after a while. I've never seen her eat dog poop-- her own or anyone else's. It's just the rabbit poop she's interested in.
#5 of 5 Old 01-17-2010, 09:13 PM

My dog started eating poop about a month ago. She's 1.5 years old. I started giving her adult daily supplement vitamins ($6.97/100 @ Wal-Mart) and she stopped doing it. Maybe it's worth a shot for you too?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page