Natural pet ownership... vaccines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not new to dogs or cats. I've been involved in training, competing, fostering, rescuing, and working in shelters and currently work in a veterinary clinic... however, with all my research on human vaccines, I've decided to NOT vaccinate DS. I'm wondering now about vaccines for animals? What all do you do? Do you vaccinate? Selectively vaccinate? Dogs walk on the ground, sniff the ground, and are just so much more likely to catch a disease than a baby. I've seen Parvo at its finest, and would feel very, very guilty if a dog of mine ever got it. My current dog has been vaccinated every year of her life up until last year. She's getting NO more vaccines for the rest of her life. BUT, if I ever got another dog or puppy, I'm not sure how I'd approach vaccines, *especially* if I'd like to participate in a dog training class, dog events (agility, obedience, rally, conformation).

Any good books on animal vaccines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 PM

This is what I do, take it for how you want it

My puppies receive ONE shot of parvo and distemper when they are approx 12 weeks old. They receive a rabies shot when they are around 2 years old and that is it for LIFE. They are also raw fed which I think definately boosts their immunity.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 AM

Jean Dodds is a vet who has a large following of selective vaccinators. She has published recommendations that can be seen here http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODD...-PROTOCOLS.HTM

It basically consists of selective vaccination in the first year, and then no vaccinations thereafter. Just as human vaccines are effective for years, or even life, animal vaccinations are as well.

The American Animal Hospital Association, which accredits vets, also has published guidelines. They have a selection of "core" vaccines that they believe every dog should get. However, they only recommend them every 3 years. the exception to the three year rule is bacterial vaccines (bordatella, leptospirosis, Lyme) which need to be given once or twice yearly. However, no bacterial vaccines are listed as "core". Here are their guidelines- http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf

I'm still trying to decide for my own dog. If she were younger, I'd likely do the AAHA guidelines. She is 8 now, I got her at 5 and I think she was vaccinated her whole life before I got her. I'm trying to decide now between one last round of vaccines, or just stopping all together. My one concern is that I occasionally need to board her (once every few years). I know my boarding facility accepts the AAHA guidelines, but I'm unsure if they'll accept the Dodds protocol. Although, my experience is that "dog people" tend to be aware and accepting of the vaccination protocols, as opposed to "pet people" I don't think it would be too hard to find classes that would allow selectively vaxed dogs. It might be harder to say, board them or get a dog park membership. It probably also depends on your area.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I know at the vet clinic I work at, the only thing we are strict about is the bordatella vaccine. I hardly ever check other vaccines when an owner schedules to board their dog. My boss and vet knows I'm not vaccinated other than rabies anymore, and hasn't said anything about that really.

I'm a BIG early socialization pusher. To people, to other dogs, etc etc etc. I socialize my puppies everywhere very early on (IMO, a dog is FAR more likely to die from not being socialized than to catch a disease), but catching any of the common canine diseases surely would put a damper on socialization as well!

I'll have to look into Jean Dodds. I've read some of his articles, and about how vaccines are 'good for life'. That is what made me decide my current dogs are not getting any more vaccines, actually. THanks for the links, I'll look more into it once again. I want to really drown myself in the information this time, because last time I just skimmed over things.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 AM

I asked the breeder not to vaccinate my GSD at 8 weeks and then got him a single parvo at 12 weeks. I took him outside from 9 weeks or so, gave him homeopathic nosodes. I have a 9 year old GSD that we vaccinated until she was 5 (when we looked into the vaccine issue). We raw feed.
But because of this we can't use kennels, not sure i'd want to anyway. We have to get someone to stay at the house and look after them. So if anyone wants a house to stay in for free in the uk for a week and loves dogs - just let me know

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
Old 12-04-2009, 05:24 PM

My pug is 9 and is vaccinated about every 3 years for Rabies and Parvo. He has received one Distemper shot. I do not think I will do any more for him however. My sheltie is 4 and so far has only had one round of vaccines (Rabies, Parvo and distemper) and will probably only receive rabies from here on out.

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

Old 12-04-2009, 05:26 PM

(subbing, good info, thx!)

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 AM

My 2 yr old Lab has had distemper and one other one lol can't even think of it. Had them at 12 weeks. Nothing since except Rabies at 1 yr old. (Didn't want to give this shot but I also didn't want to be fined or have my dog thrown in quarentine for 30 days or whatever) It's been a few years since I've researched and from what I remember, Parvo is only life threatening in puppies and I thought older dogs were not in danger. I am a believer in boosting the immune system to keep them healthy from disease and feeding raw is great for them...even just throwing a raw chicken bone in their kibble at least adds something fresh to their diet.

While my dd is not vaccinated...if I got another puppy, I would vaccinate a puppy at 12 weeks (NOT a 7 way vaccine in one though) and hold out on Rabies until a year old.

FYI- You can order animal vaccines online. They ship them to you second day air with dry ice...it's amazing how little it costs to buy a vaccine online and how much a vet charges for an office visit and to administer it.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have two cats.

About 7 years ago (I was just out of college) we went in for annual visits for our cats and the older cat was given 3 or 4 vaccines - rabies, distemper, something for a cold kind of thing, and also feline leukemia? I think? The younger one was just a baby and I think she got one or two, but I can't remember. Anyway, I just got all the shots the vet suggested. He had had a really rough visit, too (he's not good with being able to smell the other animals and *really* not good about letting people touch him) and was held down and masked and he peed on the table - and all that just so they could listen to his heart! It was horrific for all of us. My cat was sick for about a month afterward and I really thought I was going to lose him. He had a fever and stopped eating or drinking and pretty much just hid in this one place. I ended up giving him kitten colostrum in a dropper to get him back to health. We thought it was from the stress of the visit, but now knowing more about vaccines, I think it may well have been a vaccine reaction.

We decided after that to stop bringing him into the vet unless it was desperately necessary. Both cats are indoor only. This year, though, we found a vet that does home visits exclusively : which has been GREAT - the cat had started having some problems (turns out it's a thyroid issue), and we called this home-care vet and he came over and was able to examine the cat without all the trauma and was even able to fairly easily get a blood sample! (so exciting!!) Anyway... we told him why we stopped taking the cat to the vet and he looked completely dumbfounded, but has yet to mention any vaccinations to us, so I wonder if he thinks that's what it was, too. It's been 7 years or so since the cat had been to a vet, so he was clearly "due" for vaccines.

Anyway, that's our story. I'm not that worried about most of the diseases b/c the cats are indoor only and we don't board them or anything.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:19 AM

We had a dog that had so many skin/itching/rash problems. When we decided to stop vaccinating her, the problems disappeared.

Now we have a pup (15 weeks) that has similar problems. After the first round of shots he had so many problems with itching. Few days before the second round he finally stopped scratching and biting himself. After the second vaccine his problems started again and didn't stop ever since. He will receive his third vaccine today and that’s it at least for a few years.

Except for rabies – the vaccine is mandatory for all dogs in Croatia.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee25 View Post

FYI- You can order animal vaccines online. They ship them to you second day air with dry ice...it's amazing how little it costs to buy a vaccine online and how much a vet charges for an office visit and to administer it.
As much as I am questioning vaccines, I KNOW this is not a good idea. I am a vet tech student and work for a vet. Vaccines MUST be properly handled and stored, or they may not be effective. The average joe will not properly know how to handle the vaccines, to mix them, etc. IF you are going to get vaccines, go to your vet or low cost vaccine place. Ordering your own vaccines is only asking for trouble - my educated opinion. I can't tell you how many times I've seen owners giving their own vaccines and the vaccines failing and the pup ends up with a fatally ill disease anyway. Better to not give any vaccine and be cautious than to give one at home, think you are safe, and end up with a dead pup.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa_s212 View Post
As much as I am questioning vaccines, I KNOW this is not a good idea. I am a vet tech student and work for a vet. Vaccines MUST be properly handled and stored, or they may not be effective. The average joe will not properly know how to handle the vaccines, to mix them, etc. IF you are going to get vaccines, go to your vet or low cost vaccine place. Ordering your own vaccines is only asking for trouble - my educated opinion. I can't tell you how many times I've seen owners giving their own vaccines and the vaccines failing and the pup ends up with a fatally ill disease anyway. Better to not give any vaccine and be cautious than to give one at home, think you are safe, and end up with a dead pup.
OR have your vet train you how to vaccinate properly.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

It hasn't to do with GIVING the vaccine, but how it is shipped, stored, and handled.

User Tag List