Mothering Forum banner

Cat litter

762 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  SpunkyMama 
#1 ·
What do you use? We currently use Feline Pine. We have been looking for a healthy alternative to clay litter for years now!! I would love to find something like FP but for a lot cheaper - we have three cats who "go" enough for ten I swear!!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you like Feline Pine, check and see if you can get Equine Pine in your town. I buy it at a local feed store. It's the same as feline pine, but I get a 40lb bag for about $8, which is much cheaper than feline pine.

I do have one cat that refuses to use pine pellets. For her I use Nature's Miracle or other similar litters. They are also made of pine and can be composted, but are more expensive than pine pellets...but they are scoopable and control odor much better as well.

#4 ·
I use SWheat scoop(BETTER NOW????) I wrote the company and got a bunch of $1 coupons.I buy the big bags now.I have also read about using non-medicated chicken crumbles.

I use plastic tote boxes due to poops/urine over the side in traditional litter pans.I added a different kind of littler to 3 boxes and let them pick which they liked.I am just glad to be away from clay.I had to hold my breath when scooping.

#5 ·
Recycled newspaper pellets are the least expensive--and it's recycled rather than virgin material, which i like. At Petsmart, i got a ginormous bag for about $10, i believe. Sweat scoop was the most expensive of the natural litters, i believe, but acts most like clay litter. I've also heard good things about chicken feed.

Unfortunately, one of my cats won't tolerate anything but Tidy Cats. Pickly little....

#9 ·
Does Feline Pine actually save that much in money? I'm all into natural and healthy, but it needs to be inexpensive enough for us. We're far from having money to throw away. I couldn't find Equine Pine anywhere, but we could get Feline Pine from amazon.com

And is it harder to clean? you can't sift through it with a normal poop scooper

#10 ·
We're currently using a clay clumping litter and have just switched to Dr Elseys clay litter b/c our previous one was too dusty. I'll let you know how we like it when I change it over.
I'm really curious about the SWheat Scoop or the corn-based ones but am a little concerned about possible allergic reactions to grains. I also wonder about the treatment with pesticdes on the grains. I'm sure clay has its share of issues too. I don't think there is any perfect litter solution since humans have already created in imperfect situation by domesticating the furry felines in the first place. LOL!

#11 ·
Clay litters can have all sorts of nasty irritants to cats - not to mention that it is strip-mined.

If the clay contains silicon then it is highly dangerous to your cat. It is a known carcinogen. If they breathe it in then it can cause respiratory infections, and if they ingest it (most common when they clean themselves) it can cause intestinal blockage or prevent certain nutrients from being absorbed.

For all those reasons and more we are determined to find an alternative to clay cat litter.

We love Feline Pine! I am looking for equine pine now. Does anyone know if you can get equine pine in more of a saw-dust form?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.