This is my problem, isn't it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My neighbors have a dog who is quite aggressive towards other dogs (which I did not know until yesterday). I have a lab who loves everything that moves.

Yesterday their dog was out front, off leash, but in their yard. I brought my dog out in my yard, off leash. My dog goes into their yard, their dog attacks my dog, their owner breaks it up quickly.

Luckily my dog has only a small bite mark on her side.

I'm taking full responsibility for what happened, but dh thinks otherwise. I mean, MY dog went into their yard. Their dog was simply protecting their property.
#2 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM

I think you're right.

Our dog is very protective of our yard and us. He would have absolutely done the same thing had I been outside and a dog wandered into our yard.
#3 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 PM

I agree, it's your responsibility. Also, keep in mind that some very social, physically insensitive breeds like labs and goldens can be very "forward" in their body language because they do love everyone/everything. That can really set some dogs off that would prefer a bit more distance or a slower approach.

Overall I think it would be safer for both sides to keep their dogs leashed/confined. Also, keep in mind that tempers can flare easily in dogs for a few DAYS after such an incident, so just keep your pupper mellow. Hope he recovers quickly!
#4 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 PM

I agree w/the pp's.

One of our dogs was fearful of other dogs and his fear resulted in aggression. My husband had our dog on leash in our yard. The neighbor's friendly Collie bounded over and our dog nipped him. Our neighbor was furious at us but I thought he was wrong for allowing his dog to roam freely. That incident happened almost seven years ago and his dog is still coming into our yard daily. (We've since fenced a portion of the yard for our dogs.)
#5 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm not even telling them about the bite mark, because the guy was so apologetic and upset at his dog.
#6 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 06:45 PM

Well, it is a gray area.

Where I am, legally, if a dog (Dog A) is on its own property, and another animal (Dog B) comes on the property, and Dog A either kills or injures Dog B, Dog A could be declared a dangerous dog, and there would be repercussions. Same goes for if Dog A is in its yard, and a human, authorized to be in the yard, or not, comes onto the property and is harmed.

Laws vary drastically from city to city, county to county, and state to state.

You should call your local animal control (often affiliated with the town animal shelter, or police department) for clarification on the laws in your area. They should have a copy of the code.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#7 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post
Where I am, legally, if a dog (Dog A) is on its own property, and another animal (Dog B) comes on the property, and Dog A either kills or injures Dog B, Dog A could be declared a dangerous dog, and there would be repercussions. Same goes for if Dog A is in its yard, and a human, authorized to be in the yard, or not, comes onto the property and is harmed.
I was in a similar situation. My dog was being watched by my friend. He was on her property when her neighbor's cat came into her yard. He jumped through the window, chased the cat (still on "his" property - my friend's yard), caught it, shook it, then let it go. The cat ran away, a bit traumatized.

I felt really bad and offered to pay for vet expenses. The first day she took it to a vet that just bandaged up the cuts and didn't provide any supportive care. The next day it went into shock and had to go to the kitty ICU. I covered it for a few days, then decided that I couldn't keep paying up front (as the costs were increasing) and told the cat owner I would reimburse any further expenses. She couldn't afford any procedures at all and had the cat put down (after I spent ~$4000 in vet fees over the course of about 4 days).

Despite my good faith efforts, she petitioned Animal Control to have my dog declared dangerous. They did an incomplete investigation and found him to be dangerous. I challenged this which involved going to a hearing. The ruling ended up being in my favor, since the cat was trespassing (and I provided lots of evidence of training and responsible ownership).

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#8 of 9 Old 01-09-2010, 08:06 PM

In my city, it is illegal to have an animal not enclosed by a fence or on a leash. If animal control sees your dog on your property, and he's not restraint or fenced, they can enter your property and pick him up. So if you were in San Antonio, you'd both be in the wrong.

On a "neighborly" level, why would your neighbor have his dog unleashed if he KNOWS the dog is aggressive toward other animals? That would tick me off.

One side of our fence is down right now, and my dog goes out unleashed. He also goes out with us in the front yard very infrequently. I know whenever I take him out that there is a risk that something will happen, and I worry about it a lot. But I feel it's a calculated risk as he does come when called, and we live on a street that is not busy at all. But if he was attacked by another dog, even if that dog entered my unfenced yard to get to him, I would feel ultimately responsible.
#9 of 9 Old 01-09-2010, 10:50 PM

I think it is both of your faults. Both dogs were off leash but it is more your responsiblity since your dog entered his yard but if either dog would have been leashed, this would not have happened.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page