Join Date: Jan 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you for your thoughts! I heard from the vet and they said that at 100lbs, 3oz of dark chocolate won't be toxic. Said it might cause diarrhea but to just watch her. At this point, she's completely fine. It's been almost 3 hours and she's active, not vomiting, no diarrhea etc... Uggg! This dog and her counter surfing, getting into cabinets etc.... I know it's my fault for having it in a cabinet she can get into but, seriously! Uggg......
Honestly, in my several years as a veterinary assistant, I only saw one dog die of chocolate poisoning, and that dog was VERY sick before she ever got to the office.
Generally we'd give dogs that had eaten chocolate charcoal... which not only can make them puke, but it absorbs the toxins.
The vet I worked for thought the best method of delivery was for me to feed the dogs wet charcoal with a spoon. Let me tell you that trying to spoon feed a 100 pound lab charcoal is NOT easy. I speak from experience!But, I think your dog will probably be okay. But definitely keep an eye on him, and call the vet when you can. You could also probably call the emergency vet nearest you for reassurance.
My parents' 35 pound border collie once ate two PANS of chocolate/peanut butter/oatmeal cookies, and it just caused a lot of chocolate puke.
That said, you have probably already figured this all out by now
ETA: I see we cross-posted. Glad everything looks good!
|39 members and 8,659 guests|
|AlaskAnne , beep , bluefaery , CarolS , Christine155 , deepikajain1805 , ellier , Euridika , Good Enough Mum , greenemami , happyhats , happymamma85 , Incubator , IsaFrench , katelove , lc81002 , LiLStar , loba , mama2004 , Mathemom , mckittre , Milk8shake , Miss Suki , moominmamma , Nenya , OliviaA , pers , prosciencemum , RollerCoasterMama , rubelin , SandiMae , sarafl , Springshowers , Tigerle , TourmalineMama , Tweety_Bird , txmomof3 , typebug|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.|