Apple Cider Vinegar in dogs water bowl to cure UTI? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else tried this? My dog had a water infection/UTI a while ago, I didn't take her to the vet because after seeing her seeming in pain and scared whenever she pee'd, I looked online for help and found out you can add a little apple cider vinegar to a dogs water, and when they drink it, the water infection gets better. So I tried it, and almost immediately she was better!

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 02:25 AM

Water infection? Do you mean a urinary tract infection? I can see it changing the ph of the urine. Not all UTIs are actually infections (bacterial)

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 03-14-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post
Water infection? Do you mean a urinary tract infection? I can see it changing the ph of the urine. Not all UTIs are actually infections (bacterial)
Yeah I mean UTI. So isn't that a useful treatment for it in dogs then? Wonder why it helped my dog?

Old 03-14-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
Yeah I mean UTI. So isn't that a useful treatment for it in dogs then? Wonder why it helped my dog?
It likely helped because of the reason I gave....it changed the PH of the urine....

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Old 03-14-2010, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post
It likely helped because of the reason I gave....it changed the PH of the urine....
Yeah but once I stopped putting it in her water, wouldn't the UTI have still been there and changed the PH back again? It's like it actually cured the UTI because I only put it in her water for one day and she had no symptoms after that. Unless the UTI went away by itself...if that's possible idk.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:45 PM

I think perhaps it depends on the cause of the infection? I know for humans cranberry products are supposed to prevent/help with UTIs and I wouldn't be surprised if the ACV worked in a similar way by acidifying the urine.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:27 AM

The only thing I have ever heard about ACV in your pet's water bowl is for keeping your grass from turning brown. I've never tried it myself.

As for the UTI, I've never heard anything like that. So, maybe keep an eye on her just in case.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 03-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah but once I stopped putting it in her water, wouldn't the UTI have still been there and changed the PH back again? It's like it actually cured the UTI because I only put it in her water for one day and she had no symptoms after that. Unless the UTI went away by itself...if that's possible idk.
She might not have had an infection per se....but rather inflammation of the bladder (Interstitial Cystitis).

Old 03-15-2010, 07:42 PM

[QUOTE=samy23;15176477] I didn't take her to the vet because after seeing her seeming in pain and scared whenever she pee'd,QUOTE]

This would be the exact reason I WOULD take my pet to the vet. I wouldn't trust my homemade remedy if I didn't really understand what was wrong with my pet. You may have been right in your diagnosis, but there might be something bigger going on--your pet can't talk, but your vet can tell you what is going on.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 PM

honestly I would take my pet to the vet to get checked out. There could be several reasons why they are in pain...exactly why a vet check would be good. It could have possibly been a kidney stone passing, UTI, infection,or heck my dog had a laceration near her rump and every time she urinated it stung her and she howled. I have only heard of ACV for reducing the burned grass effect and fleas (?) and to help with coat shine.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=GranoLLLy-girl;15188385]
Quote:
I didn't take her to the vet because after seeing her seeming in pain and scared whenever she pee'd,QUOTE]

This would be the exact reason I WOULD take my pet to the vet. I wouldn't trust my homemade remedy if I didn't really understand what was wrong with my pet. You may have been right in your diagnosis, but there might be something bigger going on--your pet can't talk, but your vet can tell you what is going on.
Yes I would have taken her to the vet the next day. It happened around evening time when the vets was closed, so I looked online panicked she would have to wait until the next day before I could get her any help, and that's when I found the info about Apple Cider Vinegar in their water, so I tried it and the next day when I would have taken her to the vets, she was better.

Weird no one else has heard of it....idk. This was a long time ago and she hasn't had it happen ever since, if it does though I'll probably try the same thing and see if it stops it again. Guess I could ask the vet about it too.

User Tag List