Crate training - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-01-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so we got a puppy (9 week old Weimaraner) on Saturday. We've started crate training and it's going really really well. She cried in it the first day and night and now she's great about going in there. I lost her yesterday completely and found that she'd climbed in the crate and was sleeping. We're trying to keep her routine basically the same every day so she knows what to expect. She sleeps all night in there, except for one trip out to go potty.

Is it really this easy? Is there going to be some regression at some point? I'm just amazed that it's been so simple so far.

Of course, we thought she was such a mellow, lazy puppy at first and now her true puppiness is coming out as I knew it would, so I guess I'm thinking she'll decide she doesn't like the crate at some point.
#2 of 4 Old 04-02-2010, 12:13 PM

No, it really is that easy. Dogs respond to crate training because it meets their needs, they feel safe, and provided the crate is used responsibly (not crated too long or used as punishment) your dog should love it.

As I said in my post in the thread about how long to leave your dog crated, my dog (not quite 2, 70 lb high energy dog) loves her crate. If she feels ready for bed (for her, that means one last time outside, then prowl the house, then crate) she will "wuff" quietly at me, asking to go in her crate. (Obviously, she can go in, but she asks me for the treat and to shut the door.) She will also go in and nap on her own at times.

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#3 of 4 Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

That's great to hear! Now if only teaching what she can and can't chew on were so easy.
#4 of 4 Old 04-03-2010, 09:14 PM

I wish I had some encouragement for you there - at nearly two, mine is only just getting that one figured out. I can see some progress...

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page