Help! Moving and vaxing - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 04-10-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(susan's daughter speaking)

Hi all!

I'll give a little backround first: We are moving to another state this summer, and are taking all of our critters with us. (2 dogs & 4 cats) None of them are vaccinated; the cats are indoor and the dog's don't come into contact with many other animals (they also stay in the back yard), plus we live in a very low risk rabies area. My family doesn't vax, and we never wanted to put any of that stuff in our animals either, so we just never did.

It's never been a problem before, but now that we are moving, all of them have to get a rabies vax in order to get on the plane! I'm freaking out a little! I understand that they have to get the vax; plus the area we are moving to has more of a rabies risk (nothing extreme, but it is a concern), and all of the animals will be getting out a lot more-walks and such. So I know it has to happen, but I'm so scared. I've read horror stores of reactions and even a couple cases of death. We love our animals like crazy, they are part of the family, and the thought of giving them a vax that I don't trust and that will potentally cause side affects scares me so much.

We've got an eight year old dachshund, a seven year old border collie mix, and our cats (all mixes) are ages nine, four, and the last two are 2 years old. I think the that one of the dogs and one of the cats were vaxed as a puppy or kitten, but after that nothing. I have no idea how any of them will react.

I guess I am just looking for some reassurance. Any thoughts? I feel so guilty for posting since I don't post unless I need help, but I didn't know who else to go to. My sweet dog, the border collie mix, already has an appointment to get the rabies vax, and I feel sick just thinking about it.

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 04:53 AM

Hi! I just wanted to say, it might be helpful for you to do some research on vaccination protocols and alternate vax schedules in animals. Jean Dodds is a vet who is very popular for her alternative views on rabies and other vaxs. She's doing a study to try to prove a rabies vax can last 7 years. The American Animal Hospital Association also has an alternate vax schedule out- you can read it here- http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf (there is also one for cats)

There is also a 3 year rabies vax that gives you legal protection for 3 years (its identical to the 1 yr in composition- merely labeled for 3 years) It is not accepted in all areas, so you should see if it meets the legal requirements where you are moving to, but if it does, its a good choice to keep them legally covered longer.

As far as the actual vaxes go, do they only need the rabies to fly? I would schedule them for the shot, and then arrange to remain at the clinic for 30 minutes to an hour after it is given. If they have a serious reaction, it is most likely to manifest soon after. I also always arrange my schedule so that I am home with my animals all day after a vaccination in case there is a delayed reaction. I did once have a ferret go into anaphylaxis after a rabies vax. It was plenty scary, but we were close to the clinic when it happened and they were able to pull him out of it. He was fine, and never vaxed again. It happened within an hour of his shot.

If they need additional vaxes, you can choose to split them and administer them over a period of time. So they don't HAVE to get a combo shot or multiple shots in the same day. Some vaxes are less likely to cause a reaction when given separately.
#3 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I'm no vax too, personally I'd drive and not put them on a plane.

#4 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you are only having to do the rabies vax odds are they will be OK. If you need to get them distemper and parvo then you need to do those at another day preferably a month apart from the rabies.

Try to get the separate shots for parvo and distemper then you can do them a few weeks apart as well if they need them.

Not vaxing for parvo and distemper here in my area is pretty much a death sentence for dogs. I do not vax my kids but my new puppy is getting her shots. Unlike human vax the ones for animals does work. Yes there is a risk of a reaction but the risk of not doing the vax is much higher (here where we are)

SAHM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lovin'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to
DD 10/00 &

DS 10/04
If your son is intact, keep him safe, visit the Intact Care forum
Circ, a personal choice, Your SONS

11/98
6/99
Thyroid cancer survivor. With 5
& 2 Boxers
wishing for

#5 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 PM

I totally agree with the previous poster about parvo and distemper being major issues. I've worked rescue for a long time--I don't vax my kids, but I do vax my dogs. Parvo is ugly, deadly, and frighteningly common. You won't know you have it until it's too late.

Distemper isn't as common here, but dogs still do get it, and they usually don't recover.

Check into doing the vaxes once, and then doing titers to assess immunity. I do this. Aside from the 3yr rabies (by law, I have to have a current certificate to kennel my dogs) I've only given a booster once in the past 6yrs.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#6 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all of the replies!

Unfortunately driving isn't an option for us (believe me, I would love to!). We were told that they would need just the rabies vax for the plane, but I'll double check on that. I'm checking into parvo and distemper for the area, luckily I think its very low.

Thanks for the link Oubliette8! I'll look into the alternative views of vaxing too. Scary stuff with your ferret! Poor little guy, I'm so glad he was okay!

I will look into titers, mamallama, it seems like it might be a good option.

Thank you so much for all of your help everyone! I've calmed down a bit (i have a tendency to panic when it involves heath issues), and am researching away before we make a final decision. Thanks again!
#7 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 06:54 AM

Just remember that in some areas it is the law that your pet is up to date on vaccs (Rabies specifically). If they have never had vaccs they will be required to have boosters in order to bring levels up. There is a 3year vaccine that many hospitals use now. Titres are good...but authorities may still require up to date vaccines.

Oh to be honest....in the 14 years I have been a tech......hmmmm....I have seen maybe 1 sarcoma caused by the Feleuk vaccs (not all places vaccs for this) Only minor reactions in general are what I have witnessed....bit of a fever, maybe some swelling and for those pets it is marked on their file and we then separate the vaccs in the future as well as give a dose of Benadryl first. If you are worried....you can ask to have them given at separate times (DHPP and Rabies-dogs or FVRCP and Rabies-cats)

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#8 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 07:38 AM

We use the 3-year rabies on our dogs, but if we were to want to fly them back to the states, we'd have to get them updated with the 1 year.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page