Post Illness Start Foods! Plse help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rather than call the vet and have them tell me stuff I don't need to hear about, I thought I'd come and ask advice here. Our girl has been sick for 2 days now on and off; she had a relapse last night, had to be walked every 2 hours for a bout of diarrhea and she vomited on our bedroom floor once. She seems empty again now, still energetic, drinking ONLY water. We tried to introduce a SMALL amount of her food yesterday thinking that she had recovered but she didn't process her food again. Our Autistic girls sneak her food and that didn't help; today we've separated our dog from them to make sure she gets nothing but fresh water. How long should I do this and what should be her intro foods to solids again. I've heard of feeding canned pumpkin; is that ALL I should feed her for a bit or mix it with a bit of kibble? I must give kudos to our dog; she did her best last night to wake us up to take her out and only had one accident on the floor on Saturday. She's really trying to be good for us despite feeling so ill. Any gentle advice and prayers would be great! THANKS!

~Patricia~, wife to D, mom to V:, mummy to S/C : , ::. Learning how to be a GREAT mom to my autistic twins and loving it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a girl that tends to have bouts of diarrhea when she is stressed or sick or anxious. Once she seems to have settled some we do a day or two of ground beef & rice which has always worked out well for us. Then we go back to her regular food.

Hope she feels better soon.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well we've gotten through almost 24 hours of no diarrhea now and she hasn't wanted any food either. One of our girls tried to sneak her a rice crisp and she wouldn't eat it, just chewed it and walked away....usually she stalks her fav twin for some toast or a crisp, not today. She's still drinking fine and full of energy so tomorrow hopefully she'll start eating well in very small quantities. Poor girl!

~Patricia~, wife to D, mom to V:, mummy to S/C : , ::. Learning how to be a GREAT mom to my autistic twins and loving it!
#4 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 11:53 PM

Hopefully she does well. Keep an eye on her. Pancreatitis has similar symptoms. Trust me....calling your vet is not a waste of time As a tech I feel my knowledge and info I give to clients to be a valuable asset to the hospital....

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#5 of 5 Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM

Sounds like she's still feeling ill since she's not eating. The end of diarrhea may just be because she hasn't been eating much and thus doesn't really have anything to expel. If it doesn't get better soon I'd be tempted to visit the vet just in case. It's good that she's drinking water because dehydration is a real problem with upset tummy ailments.

Do you have any idea what the cause was? I find I'm always more concerned if I don't know what was/is the root of the problem.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page