Dachshund Trotting on 3 Legs? Normal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, this bothers me, even though I know other dachshunds that do it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's okay LOL! Lola walks on four legs and all-out runs on 4 legs, but she trots on three legs and favors her left hind leg. Is this just a dachshund idiosyncrasy due to their long backs and short legs, or something to be worried about? FTR, she has never indicated in any way that the leg causes pain.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#2 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 08:52 PM

I would suspect medial pateller luxation. The kneecap moves out of place and causes them to have trouble bending the leg. When she runs, does she use the back legs independently or both together like a bunny?

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 5 Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post

Okay, this bothers me, even though I know other dachshunds that do it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's okay LOL! Lola walks on four legs and all-out runs on 4 legs, but she trots on three legs and favors her left hind leg. Is this just a dachshund idiosyncrasy due to their long backs and short legs, or something to be worried about? FTR, she has never indicated in any way that the leg causes pain.

Hi, my daschund is doing EXACTLY the same thing. I was just wondering if it was indeed a medial pateller luxation and what you did about it? I went to my vet yesterday and he did not find anything unusual...and I was out of there in less than 10 min. It's been two weeks since she's been trotting on 3 legs, I suspect I'm gonna have to find a more competent vet.

To respond to womenwisdom question she does run on both legs like a bunny. 

#4 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 09:48 PM

That was my first thought as well, luxating patella. I would get it checked, just to be sure. Dogs with this condition often seem to skip when their patella slips out of place. It's uncomfortable, but is fixable with surgery.

#5 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Lots of little dogs have luxating patellas in one or both hind legs.  It is fixable with surgery but unless it's happening constantly or causing them pain, it's not always really necessary.  Some dogs can pop it back into place with a little skip in their step without an issue and it's only occasional and not worth the expense/recovery of surgery.  Some dogs get the patella "stuck" out of place and need surgery to put it back in.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page