vet commented on our dogs sparkling teeth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Took the dogs into the vet for a check up prior to our move and she commented on our dogs sparkling teeth I told her they are on the BARF diet. Neither dog has ever had their teeth professionally cleaned and they are 7 and 8 years told.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 PM

That must be so nice to hear. Way to go!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 AM

how did your vet respond? I would be nervous to tell the my dog is on the BARF diet for fear of them trying to bully me and shame me into feeding kibble
Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

She just said she had some clients that also feed the BARF diet. I've told 3 different vets we feed BARF over the years and none were rude.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saredances View Post
how did your vet respond? I would be nervous to tell the my dog is on the BARF diet for fear of them trying to bully me and shame me into feeding kibble
I have gotten that from some vets. I usually respond with the "smile and nod" routine that I hear many use when given un-wanted parenting advice.

It also helps that we've been feeding raw for 5 years now, so I can't be doing that bad of a job and I've gained some confidence along the way. I don't engage in the debate or try to convince them that I'm right and they're wrong. After the long "this is why it's dangerous, I don't recommend it" the speech usually ends with "well your dogs look great so you must be doing something right".
Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have the same philosophy as Ola, I won't debate it with them if they gave me a hard time. One of dogs was advised to be on Science Diet low protein rx food for life because he had a liver shunt that was treated with surgery. Reading the label was horrifying, it's basically all grains. He has been on BARF exclusively for about 4 years now and is in the best shape he's ever been in.

User Tag List