Cat peeing everywhere - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-31-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am getting so stressed out over my poor cat. She is peeing everywhere and very quickly becoming unwelcome in my parent's house.

A little background, my cat is almost three and she has had some health problems in the past. She has pretty bad allergies and also has had urinary crystal problems in the past, that's when the peeing started. She was always very good about using her box, had never had an accident aside from the few times when someone blocked her box and she had no other option which was not her fault. Then last year she started peeing in places in our old house, in very obvious places. She was practically peeing right in front of you, as if she was trying to tell me something was wrong. The vet found struvite crystals and a slight UTI so she had antibiotics and special food for a while, but she ended up being allergic to the food. I had her on a raw diet for a while and it seemed to be working well, her tests were all coming back negative for crystals and I was so relieved. Then a couple of months later she started peeing again, so I took her back to the vet expecting it to be crystals again only to be told she was negative for crystals and infection, but had a lot of protein in her urine. She gave me a huge lecture about taking her off of the raw diet and I switched her back to a dry/wet food mix, but not the Medi-Cal diet she wanted me to, because she's allergic to all of them, including the hypo-allergenic. She is back on Purina food because it is the only cat food she has ever been able to eat without getting sick. Her tests keep coming back ok, but she is still peeing everywhere. We moved in January and we hoped that moving to a new house where she had never peed might help, and it seemed to for a week or so but she quickly got back into peeing. She has an imaculately clean box at all times and still pees, usually right around the box or on anything that's left on the floor. We're still unpacking and have found that she has peed in a lot of boxes that weren't unpacked yet, and my family is livid.

I do spend a fair amount of time away from home. DBF is 30 minutes away and so is my work so I end up spending a lot of nights away from the house. I tried bringing her with me and she very rarely pees here but it does still happen about once a week and he has carpets so she simply can't come anymore, period. She pees if I leave her home, she pees if I bring her. She pees if I stay home with her, and sometimes when I leave even just long enough to go to work I come home and she has peed somewhere. It seems as if every health reason has been ruled out, but I just can't get past this feeling that she has something wrong. Why would a cat who had never peed out of her box all of a sudden start? It's been almost a year now of this and we have tried everything and nothing is working. She's almost at the point of being thrown out of my parent's house and having no where to go. Me moving out full time is not an option since I work part time and can't afford an apartment and DBF simply can't keep her here with his carpet issues. I'm so upset about it that when I found a pee spot here last night I burst into tears because I just can't stop it. Has anyone else had problems like this? I need her to stop before my family gets fed up or they will force me to get rid of her and I love her so much, I was there when she was born and I've had her since she was almost 6 weeks old (yes she was taken from her mother too early, not my choice but if I hadn't taken her she would have been on the street so better too early in a loving home than early on the street) and she is a huge part of my life now and I can not imagine life without her, nor can I imagine ever giving her away. Anyone have any tips? I apologize for how long this ended up, I'm at my wits end and desperate for any help.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#2 of 3 Old 06-01-2010, 01:05 AM

I would seek out a 2nd opinion.

Are they sending the urine in for a culture?

Is there a chance of diabetes?

Something is going on, and if the Drs first suspected a UTI and then because the tests showed nothing, i would still grasp on to the initial instinct.
Did they medicate her for the first UTI?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#3 of 3 Old 06-01-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
I would seek out a 2nd opinion.

Are they sending the urine in for a culture?

Is there a chance of diabetes?

Something is going on, and if the Drs first suspected a UTI and then because the tests showed nothing, i would still grasp on to the initial instinct.
Did they medicate her for the first UTI?
I'm hoping to see another vet as soon as I can get the money up, it's rough financial times for me, but she will see a vet as soon as humanly possible. I was told they did culture the urine and it came back fine. The first UTI she had, yes she had antibiotics.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page