cat peeing on clothes! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-04-2010, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
male cat, neutered, about 4 years old. No prior health problems. We had a bad habit of taking our clean clothes out of the dryer and leaving them on the floor in the hallway. Then they got peed on. Needless to say, we're more prompt about putting them away. Dh tends to leave dirty clothes behind the bathroom door when he goes to shower. Those started getting peed on too. Now my mom has both cats at her house while we're in the middle of moving and he peed on her suitcase (open, with clothes in it) GRR! An outdoor kitty is sounding very appealing these days! (against the hoa at the new house anyway) now.. I know this can indicate a health problem. We just don't have hundreds of dollars to pay a vet right now. Not even on a credit card. It's either the vet or food on the table, literally. Is there any educated guesses for causes and ''cant hurt/might help'' solutions for those guesses? This started about the time where he was acting sick/a bit lethargic for a couple days, had abnormal looking poop, etc. Aside from the pee, he is completely back to his normal self and has been for some time. And aside from when he was sick those days and not usin the litterbox at all, he only pees if he finds a pile of clothes to lay in. Other than that he does use the litterbox.

only other thing worth mentioning is we have had a flea infestation from wen he escaped several months ago and was outside a few days. We just haven't been able to afford flea treatment. I'm hoping that moving into the house with hardwood floors, lots of flea combing, and perhaps a bath will take care of them for good. Can fleas cause peeing?

in my defense... We really aren't the kind of people to neglect seeing a vet when needed. Really! I'd estimate a couple thousand spent on our other cat's issues (back when we had more credit). My own health concerns are even being somewhat neglected because our insurance copays are too high. I promise..i'm really not just being a bad, neglectful cat owner too stubborn to pay for a vet!
Posted via Mobile Device

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 5 Old 06-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could be a UTI. Male cats are more prone to them. My male kitty starts peeing on clothes when he has one.

How expensive is your vet? Ours charges $30 for a visit and we ususally spend another $10-20 on abx for the infection (clavamox is what he always gives).

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#3 of 5 Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
well that's pretty cheap.. Don't think i've ever left the vets paying less than a hundred! With exam fees starting around $60, plus labs/tests/meds...

I could ask around if there's a low cost vet around here
Posted via Mobile Device

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#4 of 5 Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 PM

Definitely look for a low-cost vet. I'd guess UTI or burning from crystals.

Either way one thing that I'd do is try to get more water into him. When my cat has this issue I sit down with him and float pieces of food in a water bowl. For whatever reason this makes him start lapping up water.

You can also switch him to wet food if he's eating dry. If he'll eat wet... my cat generally won't.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#5 of 5 Old 06-06-2010, 03:23 AM

Try keeping the litterbox very, very clean.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page