Mothering Forum banner

Cat sneezing... unusual.

923 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  babygirlie 
#1 ·
My cat started sneezing the other day. He was heaving and puking a bit too just prior to the sneezing fits, but thats stopped. They seem unrelated but I thought Id just mention it. He seems well apart from the sneezing, no snot, or mucus or swollen eyes. But he'll have a sudden sneezing fit out of nowhere. They dont last too long, but they are out of the norm. He's never had allergies or anything like that so...

Any guesses? Anyone else have a cat start sneezing out of nowhere?

#2 ·
If they continue and there is discharge from the eyes/nose....I would wager a guess at URTD - Upper Resp Infection

He may have gotten his face into something to trigger sneezing.

#4 ·
Many times when owners describe heaving or "trying to throw up", it's actually a cough they are describing. Along with the sneezing, I would suspect a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection). These are usually viral and resolve in about a week, but if you notice other symptoms, like green or yellow discharge from the eyes or nose, or the symptoms become much worse or don't resolve, or he stops eating for more than 24 hours, you should have him seen. He might have a bacterial infection that would benefit from antibiotics or something else entirely.

ETA: Allergies in cats don't generally manifest in upper respiratory symptoms like in humans. They are more likely to show up as a skin or digestive problem.

#5 ·
Thank you so much guys. Its funny bc while his nose did start bleeding after a sneezing fit I did call the emergency vet bc I was freaking out, she said it wasnt an emergency but that I should get him seen soon anyway. The thing is is that he is still as fiesty(sp??) as ever. He's still doing his territorial battle with his brother, he's sitting on my lap now growling and ready to pounce (they've done the stale mate thing where they just sit where they are until the other makes the first move). He's eating fine, hasnt puked since the weekend and his nose hasnt bled since the other day.

I was glad to hear about the viral infection possibility. Thanks for your advice.

#6 ·
My cat has sneezing fits all the time, and coughs a bit too. When he was a kitten (before we adopted him) he almost died from a URI, but he's never had one since - at least not a bad one. Never any discharge.
I notice in his old age, he seems to get a lot more of the "wrong pipe" thing going on, like when you aspirate a touch of water and cough a lot. Sometimes he'll be purring so happliy, it gets into overdrive, and he drools a bit, and then it seems like he snorfles some spit and a bit cough/sneeze ensues.

#7 ·
When my cat had lots of sneezing, it turned out to be a nasal tumor. The vet did not rec removal as it would have been surgery and the tumor likely would have just come back. She was rather old, though, with kidney failure, etc... She also had nosebleeds.

#8 ·
It doesn't sound like a uri. It sounds like he got into some dust or you bought a new fragrant litter. If it continues I would check for hairballs or kennel cough. Kennel cough sounds more like a cough or what is known as a backwards sneeze and you will hear it in their lungs also. Most likely it is going to resolve on it's own but it could hurt to offer him a hairball treat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.