My first post in the pet forum. - sad update post #8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
at least I think it is. We are on the dog search, want to get a rescue dog, and thought I would stop by and say hi to everyone here.

My first question: the county shelters charge $90 to adopt, this includes the $40 adoption fee and the $50 for spaying or neutering. Many of the no-kill animal rescues charge $350 for adopting a dog. Is this large of a difference usual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

So excited, we're heading down to pick up a dog in the morning. We were second on the list at a shelter, and we called today the person who said they would get the dog today was a no show. I haven't had a dog since I lived with my parents, that was 1995. He's about a year old beagle mix. We played with him for about 20 minutes on Saturday and he was very sweet. Wanted to play fetch. Never barked, or jumped on us or the kids. so holding my breath just a little bit until we actually pick him up, but we figure our chances just went from 20% to 90% that he's ours.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:28 AM

Great news! Hope you get him and love him.

Regarding price differences, I assume they reflect the fact that the local animal shelter is funded through taxes and private rescues generally are not. Rescues have their advantages, but you need to know if you are using one which will stick behind their dog--sounds like you already sidestepped that process though.

Since you have not had a dog in a while, perhaps you could contact a few rescues for advise if you feel you need some help locally? Or just ask questions here :-) Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your dog!

PS. there is often a "honey-moon period" when you adopt an adult dog. If they have any skills at all: sit, potty-trained, polite, etc. you will see those in spades the first few days, or even weeks until they are comfortable. Then you will see why they were turned over to the pound--because lets face it, if they were actually perfect, zero-effort beings their owners would not have abandoned them (barring huge financial troubles, but I still think that a perfectly trained dog would be kept regardless of price).

Any-hoo, when your new dog starts peeing on the floor, or barking like a crazy person at everything that moves, don't be shocked--be prepared :-) Be gentle and read all you can to overcome whatever issue this dog has they made him seem expendable to his owner and never be afraid to ask for help :-)
Old 06-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 06-30-2010, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. We picked him up today and he was great in the car on the ride home. I have a Saturn VUE and he lay down in the way back and never tried to climb over the seat, it was an hour long drive. We took him to the pet store and he was very friendly to everyone, no issues, he and DP and DS hung outside of Trader Joe's while I ran in and he did great with all the attention he received. He did pee once in the house. He has control though, because the minute I yelled no and grabbed him to carry him outside he stopped.

The first time we heard him bark was hours later in the day when the neighbor stuck his head over the fence to get a look at the new dog. I picked him up and petted him and tried to introduce him, and he growled at the neighbor. He is very protective over the yard/house already. Neighbor was cool with it, but I was glad we had that experience because we were so tired from the day we ordered a pizza and I knew to hold on to him as soon as I heard the gate open. After hearing DP and the delivery guy finish their transaction and the gate close again I let go and he tore to the gate barking. At least he's a good watch dog. We went for a walk after supper and again no barking no sounds at all even when we would meet other people or dogs along the way. It's just our house / us he's protective over.

I'll keep that in mind about the honeymoon period. Because other than the barking at people coming in the yard and the one time he peed in the house he has been a dream. I do want to sign up for some sort of obedience training and I'll check the city's parks and rec web-site to see what they have. He loves to fetch, but he doesn't have a clue what "drop-it" means or sit, stay lay down etc. He doesn't walk well on the leash either, he pulls ahead practically the whole time. Lucky he doesn't weigh much but I want to get him to walk with us, even though we have a yard we'll take him on a minimum of two walks a day.

My kids are acting like crazy people following him around trying to entertain him at every moment. We remind them to chill out and that the dog may be overwhelmed. We made the rule that if the dog is in his bed you ignore the dog, that's his safe to get away from it all zone. He hasn't frozen up or tried to get away from them, hasn't shown any signs of not liking the attention, I just rather be safe than sorry. he has however shown his utter adoration of myself and DP. Like follows me from room to room, walks up and puts his head in our laps. A real snuggler with us grown up. I ran an errand and left the dog home with DP and the kids and he whimpered when I left, then came and greeted me when I returned.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:23 PM

Here the county shelters charge $75 for adoptions, and while that includes spaying/neutering and basic vaccinations, it doesn't include a heartworm or fecal test, heartworm preventative, or flea/tick preventative. The rescue groups charge around $150 (the purebred rescue groups charge $250-300). But this includes everything. So I find rescue groups to be a great "bargain"! Besides, good groups work on housetraining and basic obedience and can tell you more about a pet's behavior in the home than a shelter can. And if you adopt from a rescue group that rescues from shelters, your new pet will leave a vacancy so another shelter animal can be rescued by the group.

But adopting straight from a shelter is a wonderful thing to do. You really do save a life. Compared to the dogs in shelters, rescue group's dogs are the lucky ones. You know less about the dog going in, but if you're patient and committed to working through any behavior issues, that shouldn't be a problem. There are knowledgable pet people here--even trainers who can help you if any problems crop up.

Beagle mixes are great! Beagles can be great family dogs. Just be aware that they like to go on adventures, so make sure your yard is secure. We fostered a sweet beagle who kept digging under the fence to get out--even though we never left her outside for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. My husband had to "plant" bricks underground just inside the gate of the fence so she couldn't dig out. We couldn't ever let her off leash in the front yard.

We just adopted a shih tzu mix two weeks ago. He's a great little dog who loves kids. We adopted him from the rescue group I used to foster with. He was on his best behavior the first week and then the chewing up stuff started! But he's still MUCH easier than a puppy would be!

Congratulations on your new family member!

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Congrats, glad to hear he's doing well so far!

An obedience class is a great idea. I highly recommend to try to find one that does clicker training if you can, it's a very effective method of positive training that is really fun for both the trainer and the dog. If not, then just look for a class that does positive training.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with him already.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 07-05-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

hangs head in shame. We might not keep the dog. He's becoming more and more aggressive toward my kids. He bit a kid at the park on Friday. I'm going to look into obedience training still, but I can't keep a dog that is a risk to children. I won't take him back to the shelter, I'll find a no kill rescue. There is one the specializes in Beagles about 90 minutes from here, if it comes to that.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:47 AM

artgoddess:
In many places, animals adopted from the pound are not fully vetted. The higher cost through rescues includes (usually) more complete vet care, and sometimes a fee to help cover transportation costs, food and incidentals.

I'm sorry the dog isn't working out.

I can't remember what state you are in, but if you want to PM me, we get a lot of beagle mixes through here, and I might be able to help.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 07-05-2010, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm in Southern California. I'm looking at taking him to Beagles and Buddies in El Monte. Even though Brittany Foundation is much closer. i figure his chances of getting place in a home are better with a place that specializes in beagles. I'm not going to take him to a county shelter, where I rescued him. Because it would irresponsible of me to take him back and NOT tell them that he bit someone, that just puts another family at risk if I lied. But I know if I tell anyone from the shelter system he did, then they won't even adopt him out, they'll put him down and I don't want that either. He is a sweet boy, and he is amazing with me and my DP. I think he'd do really well in an adult only home. he'd probably be okay with other dogs even, he seems to enjoy them when we run into them on walks etc.

But I really have to count myself as lucky. I mean my dog bit a kid at the park. he didn't break the skin, the kid was older, like 9 and he was soooo calm about it. he even tried to make friends with my dog after he was snapped at. the kids parents were very cool about it all too, joked that they hoped my dog didn't catch anything from their son. What if there is a next time? What if we aren't so lucky then.

I feel really guilty about it all though.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:38 AM

It happens. Have a

About 10 years ago, we had a similar situation- adopted a dog, he began to show aggression towards the kids... We found out AFTER that he had never been temperament tested, had never been tried around cats or children (they lied and said he had, and he was great), and had been adopted out 3 times before we adopted him, only to be returned each time. He was terrified of the leash, the crate....to this day, you still can't clip his nails, because he tries to do some serious damage. I was 7 months pregnant, and called my mom hysterical, crying. I couldn't keep this dog. She ended up taking him, and has been the BEST dog in the world for their household. He's now 12, and has lived a full and happy life.

Not every dog is right for every situation.

I know there are plenty of people here that say once a biter, always a biter, and advise putting them down. But I feel like that is too black and white, and that an animal can be rehomed responsibly. Good luck!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 PM

We had a similar situation with a dog we rescued from the shelter. She was a sweet dog overall, but she wasn't tolerant of loud, squealing kids or of their rough and tumble way of playing. She nipped my then 5 year old son several times. When she barely missed his eye, I knew she wasn't going to work out for us. She went to live with my eccentric aunt and her pack of spoiled dogs. She can be her wild dog self there, and she loves it. I wouldn't take her back to the shelter either.

You might have better luck with a rescue group that fosters their dogs in homes with children. Don't feel too guilty. Your kids' safety comes first and it's not like you're taking the dog back to the shelter. You still rescued him from a kill shelter.

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

User Tag List