Which flea medication is the safest with young children in the home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I've read thru the flea posts and I've got a couple of questions...

Background: George is a Wheaten boy of 15mos. We planned on moving to a new house 3hrs away, however when we got there we discovered mold. The previous owners (I hear) had a dog they let run all over the neighborhood. We stayed in a hotel for 2 weeks while waiting for the NEXT new house to be "mostly" finished so we could move in. In the meantime, our cat had to stay at the old house since we could not have him in the hotel. George and I went over to check on him/play with him/feed, water, etc several times a day.

We noticed that Oliver (the cat) started getting very large sores on his neck. My husband thought it was because maybe he didn't rinse all of the shampoo off of him as we had to give him a bath since he urinates on himself while in the pet taxi. We had given him a sedative that did not work . He has since lost his beautiful mane of fur around his neck . He was also being treated for goopy (, sorry) eyes, however we were instructed by the vet to discontinue the use since the drops seemed to be causing him pain. Goodbye $45!

While in the hotel I gave George a bath and found little black bugs on him when I was combing/drying him. About 4 days ago after another bath I found more. I started wondering if maybe we're dealing with fleas and Oliver had a reaction to the bites.

We've also had problems with George's stools since we got him at 8wks and have tried several different foods. Although I somewhat believe the loose stools come from anxiety/sensitivity issues. After we moved the store that use to carry CA (the food we were feeding him) did not any longer and the best choice was Sience Diet Sensitive Stomach. To my surprise his stools became solid immediately. I'm assuming because of the high corn content. This morning he had loose stools in the house and this time with blood. We had a fecal done and she said "no worms but there are eggs".

We also had to switch Oliver to SD. Both pets have lost weight despite feeding them several meals a day.

The Plan: We have an appt tomorrow AM with a new vet (we moved 3hrs away) and she is suggesting Frontline... However, everything I've read on here is that while some ppl have had success with Frontline most recommend Advantage, Sentinel, or Revolution. Using Capstar to actually kill the fleas. So my question is, out of all of these which one is best to use when you have small children in the house? We're also doing a de-wormer hopefully Drontal or similar to kill potential tapeworms since I read that ingesting fleas can cause this parasite.

I guess I'm a little paranoid since this vet didn't even know what a Wheaten was .

Thanks for reading if you made it! Any advice would be GREAT!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!

User Tag List