Help! Puppy peeing while laying down. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping some of you had a similar issue that is now resolved. I'm not keen on having a dog peeing all over the floor every single day for the next 10-15 years.

She's a lab mix puppy and nearly 5 months old. Just a few minutes ago, I noticed a puddle she left on the floor where she had been resting. There was a trail of pee to her next location and a puddle at her rear as she lay in the new spot.
She has been doing this off and on since we brought her home a month ago.

I brought her to the vet the other day and they gave me a script for antibiotics in case she has a UTI (they took urine from her but the results weren't exactly what they wanted since it was so dilute). Granted, she's only been on meds for 2 days (today is the 3rd), but shouldn't I be seeing an improvement by now? Maybe I'm just being impatient because I'm not a fan of all the pee. I'm bringing her out once and hour now to make sure she has a chance to go and giving her lots of water to flush her system.

She was spayed very early at 3.5 months or so. I read that spaying can also cause incontinence. The vet says we'll treat her for UTI and if it doesn't work, explore other options.

Could this just be a puppy thing?

ETA- She made another puddle while laying down in the kitchen (maybe 30 minutes later than the first time). I brought her outside and she didn't go pee, but I could see she is dripping pee as she walks. One drop at a time.

DS 6 DD 8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 AM

Sounds like spay incontinence to me,one of my dogs had it. It only took a regular dose of meds to keep her from leaking/not being able to hold it. It wasn't a big deal, call your vet!

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#3 of 6 Old 07-11-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagewinna View Post
Sounds like spay incontinence to me,one of my dogs had it. It only took a regular dose of meds to keep her from leaking/not being able to hold it. It wasn't a big deal, call your vet!
That's what I thought, too and the vet said she wasn't sure because my puppy is so young. Frustrating. I'll call her on Monday and if she isn't proactive and helpful, I'll call another vet. We've only taken her to one appointment and aren't committed.
Thank you very much for you input.

DS 6 DD 8
#4 of 6 Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 PM

Agreed with spay incontinence. The medication for it are pretty inexpensive from what I hear. I'd definitely press your vet for a diagnosis and some medication to try, and get a second opinion if she won't. Maybe specifically tell her you don't want to use the "wait and see" approach - perhaps she is used to owners who don't want to spend money on their dog or something?
#5 of 6 Old 07-12-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I called today and got a script for Proin to try for the next 10 days. Puppy was leaking all day Saturday and then not at all on Sunday. She started leaking again the first half of today and not at all now. I'm hoping the med will correct the issue. If it was congenital, I assume she'd be leaking all the time.

Anyway, fingers crossed this stuff works. We cannot afford extensive surgeries.

DS 6 DD 8
#6 of 6 Old 07-13-2010, 02:52 PM

I don't know if it would work in your case, but when my dad's dog was a puppy he would pee in his sleep so we put him on cornsilk supplements. It worked for him until he outgrew the problem.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page