dog losing hair with scaly skin rash? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-27-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey there-
I have a short hair pitt mix that came to our family about 4.5 months ago. When we got her form the shelter her coat was beautiful. Shiny, soft, people used to to stop us in the street to say how beautiful she was. Now she's a wreak She was a street dog and stayed in the shelter for 4 months, eating crappy food and getting little exercise. Now she gets top food, lots of running and hikes, and she is a loved part of our family. So why the sudden change? Essentially she got a rash, just red- no bumps per se, on her belly that I thought was pricker rash since we go into the deep woods, and she just runs like a banshee. It went away after a couple of weeks but she started to get these raised pimples of sorts without the pus. They would be there for a while and then scab over. When she started getting more of them I took her to the vet and they said that it was a infection due to "allergies" which compromised her immune system, and they prescribed an antibiotic. I didn't finish the serious because of vacation making me space it. She did get better. BUT where we were (coast of southern NC) was humid, dusty, and she went swimming in the ocean (we bathed her after everytime but we did have a day on the boat)... and she was anxious with the drive up and down. So all and all, I sort of knew she was going to lose her hair...
So now 2 weeks after we get back, the bumps have come back with a vengeance. It almost looks like cradle cap. And I'm thinking about taking her back to get another round of drugs just to stop the cycle and give me some time to figure it out. Unlike the beginning of all this they are bothering her, she's biting and scratching. Not being compulsive yet, but I know she's uncomfortable.
Another random thought is that she is detoxing from frontline. I forgot her July dose so she didn't get it and I haven't given it to her yet. (can I blame pregnancy brain and a husband who travels ALOT? ) It's so toxic- and I did notice that right before I would dose her she would get dry skin/ dandruff. I need to start her again as we go in the woods ALOT and we have deer ticks galore! She really runs hard through all sorts of brush and bracken.
I want to massage her with an oil to give life back to her skin- has anyone done that? Her skin and hair is so dry. I am switching her food from Organix chicken, to Call of the wild Salmon because the pet store said some dogs are allergic to chicken (?) and I figured less ingredients= easier to figure out if it's food. I used a dog soap that was mostly essential oils, but now have switched to dr. bronner's tea tree oil to help if it is an infection. There seems to be boogers in her eyes when her rash gets bad, but I assumed it's part of the whole depressed immune system. Other than probiotics, is there any other supplements that will help with a compromised immune system?
It's so sad and frustrating to see her lose more and more hair!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY IDEAS OR ADVICE!!! She is my first dog!

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#2 of 2 Old 07-27-2010, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would definitely get a clear definitive answer from the vet as to what the rash is. Switching foods should help....I would go grain free for sure, better yet raw. The organix looks to have flax seed in it which is a fairly common allergen for dogs.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page