Removing smell of cat pee from unsealed cement floors? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The litter boxes have been in the utility room, with an unsealed cement floor. They've been missing the edge of the boxes so now we've switched to boxes with lids, in a different room. So far so good.

Treating the cement floor is proving more difficult though. Vinegar, bleach, and Bac-Out (enzyme cleaner) are the tools we're using. Each evening there's some improvement, but if we close the door and don't apply something every 12 hours, the smell is back.

It would be a huge huge effort to clear out the whole utility room to seal the cement, but maybe that's what's needed. It sounds gross to me, to just cover up a smell instead of really treating it.

Anyone with experience cleaning/ sealing cement floors after cat pee soaks in?

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 02:00 PM

I have never dealt with this but I have lived with cement floors and the first thing that comes to mind is renting a pressure washer to clean it.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM

Soak the concrete with a solution of 2 cups peroxide, 1 tsp dish detergent, and 2 tsp baking soda. You'll probably have to double, triple, etc the recipe depending on the size of your floor. Allow to dry and reapply if necessary.

We used this to get YEARS of pet urine odor out of an unsealed concrete basement floor that had been peed on through carpeting, and it does work. We did about three full applications over the course of a couple of days and the urine odor is gone.

Following this treatment, I would seal the cement just on GP, but especially to try to prevent the pets from smelling any trace of the urine that was there preciously and re-soiling the area as a result.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynsage View Post
Following this treatment, I would seal the cement just on GP, but especially to try to prevent the pets from smelling any trace of the urine that was there preciously and re-soiling the area as a result.
OK, wow, your recipe is really do-able! What's GP?

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Old 07-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post
OK, wow, your recipe is really do-able! What's GP?
General Principle As in, I'd do it just because I think concrete floors should be sealed...because they just should, you know?

I got the recipe from my FMIL, who has had cats for like the past 30 years and is an expert at all things cat-related.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Gotcha. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Those enzyme cleaners only work if they are allowed to sit for at least 24 hours still moist. Never tried it on cement, but we did it with our carpet in a place the cats kept peeing over and over again.

Soak some towels in the enzyme solution and lay it over the area. Then cover the area with plastic or garbage bags so it stays moist and doesn't evaporate for one day.

I got this from the "Queen of Clean"s book on how to clean everything in your house.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercup784ever View Post
Those enzyme cleaners only work if they are allowed to sit for at least 24 hours still moist.
Oh yeeeaaah. We just sprayed it on heavily and walked away and let our dry desert air take care of the rest. Hmmmm.

User Tag List