Cat yelling all night long - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a problem and I'm finally ready to admit it. My cat shouts at me all night long and I don't know how to stop it.

I'm not talking little meows here - it's wake everyone in the house volume meowing, and it's literally constant unless I feed her and feed her (she's overfed, needs to lose weight, but it's the only thing that will make her quiet) to the point that she finally drops off to sleep. Sometimes she shouts at me when she already has food and apparently wants me to sit and pet her while she eats. At 3am. It's impossible to just shut the door and ignore her because of the shocking volume that comes out of her. Over the 9 years I've had her, I've just gotten used to waking up 4-5 times a night to pay attention to her but I had a houseguest over last night who said he won't come back unless the cat situation is under control. He was totally appalled. I didn't realize how bad it had gotten.

What do I do? I don't feel comfortable shutting her in the backyard all night long because of other cats, foxes, etc. I've tried squirting her with water when she yells, and she generally attacks me when I do that. I'm out of ideas, and really, really tired.

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero
#2 of 4 Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 PM

Do you have a garage? If so, you could set her up with a bed, a litter box, and some food. Then she would be safe from predators and away from your eardrums.
#3 of 4 Old 08-07-2010, 11:30 AM

LOL my cats do this....especially if they find a toy. I make sure I confiscate all toys at night....I believe it is just due to the fact they are nocturnal.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#4 of 4 Old 08-07-2010, 12:47 PM

Is she spayed? The reason I am asking is because my female cats used to do this almost constantly at night before they were spayed.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page