Do cats go away to die? :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-07-2010, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My parents' cat is missing, and they are frantic. She has been gone for 2 nights now (including this one). I think she is about 13-14 years old, and her health deteriorated in the past 2 weeks - tons of accidents. She has always been sickly - issues with her kidneys, nervous system, etc. I honestly think she is dying as I have heard that they run away and hide. She is an indoor cat who goes out to the yard for air, then back in again. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-07-2010, 03:24 AM

I have known cats that went off to die. They will also hide if not feeling well.

I hope she turns up.

If you are out looking for her, look Under things, like under bushes and low branches. Cats will often "go to lair" in small protected spaces.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#3 of 9 Old 08-07-2010, 03:41 AM

If allowed, I believe cats do usually go away to die. I'm sorry your parents are having to deal with this.

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

#4 of 9 Old 08-07-2010, 05:43 AM

I'm sorry Yes, I think they do go away to do their thing for whatever reason. I don't think they are running away more as finding somewhere quiet to lay down
#5 of 9 Old 08-07-2010, 12:29 PM

I'm so sorry.My dad's cat did this.We never did find him.I hope your parents find their kitty.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#6 of 9 Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 AM

Yes, they do. I've had a few cats that did this and it is tough because you don't have the body so you don't have closure. Hugs to you and the follks.

Got any idea what to do with a 3 year old with endless energy when it hits 115?? Let me know.
#7 of 9 Old 08-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Many cats do go away to give birth or to die. I think it is why we think of cats as more independent than dogs. Often, cats want to be alone during times of transition. I do find it fascinating, that cats behave this way.

But I am so sorry about your parents kitty We are treated our landlord's cat for heartworms. She likes to run wild outside. If she died suddenly of heartworms, we might not ever find her

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#8 of 9 Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for responding. I want to announce that 5 days later, the cat showed up at the door, on the day that my mom left the country for a month. It ate an entire can of sardines and won't leave my dad alone for a second.

For those of you who lost pets this way, I am so sorry. The wait was emotionally crushing, and I would never want to go through that again. Thank you for support.
#9 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM

I would like to say a big thankyou to everybody who has responded to this topic. My cat is 14yrs old and went missing for 5 nights 4 days and I was devastated. I live on an ex farm with old sheds and surrounded with fields. There are quite a number of foxes about and the weather has been very cold. I was exstremely upset reading reviews that old cats go away to die and was very very upset thinking the worst. After reading the reviews on this topic it gave me a little hope that she could still come home.

Happy Happy Happy yes she did return safe and well, but very hungry. I dont know why old cats do this and it can be very distressing, but for some of us there can be hope and they do return.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page