Taste of the Wild dog food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking of starting my bishon/shitzu mix on this dog food. I was wondering what everyone thinks who have tried it. Did you and your dog like it? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 04:24 PM

Very good food, especially for the price. There are a couple higher quality grain free options out there...but they are priced much higher

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 08-21-2010, 02:07 PM

We gave this food to our dog and she loved it. Very high in protein and high quality ingredients and she really liked the taste.

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

Old 08-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good to know! I've been wondering what to feed our new pup. I'm not super thrilled with what I've got and he doesn't seem to like the taste so I find myself giving him pieces of apple, raw meat, cucumber etc.... until I can figure out what to do.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Taste of the Wild is a Diamond product. They had some troubles with recalls a few years back. The food is also lower cal than most of the other grain frees. All and all its a ok food, but def alot better out there. Natures Variety will give you B1G1 coupns to try their food. Right now Im using Fromm 4 Star Surf and Turf and my dogs are doing so well on it. Its not super pricey (not cheap either) I have small dogs tho, so it doesnt break the bank.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

So what other brands are better?

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 AM

for grain free? I like Orijen, Acana, EVO or CORE better. I like Orijen best, but thats a personal decision based on my opinion of the company and the quality of the ingredients (ethoxyquin free fish, hormone and antibiotic free meats, free range everything, pesticide free veggies, local sourcing etc etc)

Taste of the Wild is still a great food. And its economical. Diamond as a company did have issues with recalls, although Taste of the Wild was NOT affected. And from my reading, Diamond itself was not at fault, they simply bought product that had been deceptively adulterated by the supplier. Before that they had an issue with aflatoxin which is a toxic fungus found on corn. Neither of those recalls affected TOTW though as the ingredients are not used in TOTW (one was related to corn, the other to wheat gluten) Diamond now also tests all of its food onsite. Personally, I still feel comfortable recommending TOTW as a high quality diet. Can you buy better, yes, there are a handful of foods I think are better. But its better than the vast majority.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
I am thinking of starting my bishon/shitzu mix on this dog food. I was wondering what everyone thinks who have tried it. Did you and your dog like it? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!
I have a bichon and I just tried this food for the first time two days ago. We are in the process of trying out different foods for her, because she was getting to the point where she was avoiding her dry food and eating anything else she could find. In the beginning I gave her some raw food in her diet in addition to kibble, but then I was gone for awhile and she was staying with other people and I haven't gone back to that. So we decided to try out different foods, and I think the ones she likes the best are the Go! Natural and Now! grain free, and those seem to be her favorite, but we are trying the bison Taste of the Wild.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:14 AM

I personally like Fromm and Orijen the best for grain free. I used to love EVO, but just a few months ago it was bought by P&G. Californina Natural is also now making a grain free but again its owned by P&G. I have used Instinct and really liked that as well. My dogs have just done so well on Fromm Surf and Turf and they actually like it (one is super fussy) Its the only food that he will eat when I put it down and not graze on all day.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:27 PM

We started our 3 (Border Collie, Lab mix and Newfie) on Taste of the wild (the one w salmon in blue bag) about 6 months ago from Innova and they look great, shed less and even have less "doggie odor. Even the picky eater of the pack likes it.
One thing to note, is that even though we switched our dogs very gradually, they still had about a week of bad diarrhea..to the point we almost didn't stick with it.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:50 PM

Were you on Innova or Innova's EVO previously? If it was regular grain inclusive Innova, many people recommend switching cold turkey from grain inclusive to grain-free.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 08-29-2010, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My French Bulldog is grain free on California Naturals and she is doing so much better. She is also 'chicken free' so I get her the lamb flavor. I am also very careful with snacks and treats and make sure those are grainfree as well. I add yougart to the top of her food 1x a day. Im not sure what issues you are having or if you are just looking for a better diet for the dog.

I went to a 'foo-foo' dog boutique type of place and talked to the folks there and they were super informed about the dogfood and really helpful.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

User Tag List