Dog aggression question-- - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is the background and then I have some questions-

Background- My kid's dad has a 2 yr old viszla/pit bull mix. Never had a problem with him. A week or so ago they got a youngish (1 yr?) dog. I think he is some kind of cattle dog mix. As far as I know they had no problems at his house, were left alone and did fine etc.

Tonight they came over to my house to drop off my son and so I could meet the new dog (he is a sweetie). Anyways, twice the viszla/pit mix attacked the new dog, clamping on his jaws in full on pit bull mode. Very scary. I wasn't here the first time (but their owner was) and not sure what happened. The second time my daughter went to pet the new dog and the Viszla/pit attacked again. It was very hard to get him off, lots of blood, not fun.

so my questions:
We are speculating that the older dog is jealous, but why would it be happening at my house and not at their house? I do have a dog here by the way but he was not involved.

Secondly, I keep thinking what if the dog attacked one of my kids and not another dog! Would this be unlikely? or is it just too hard to tell?

I think the owner is thinking of rehoming the new dog, but I kind of think the older dog should go for safety reasons, but I am not an expert.

Thanks if you have read this far. Any advice or opinions are welcome.
#2 of 3 Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 AM

First, dog to dog aggression is not at all the same is dog to person aggression.

I can not speculate at all what is going on in the dog to dog relationship as there are so many variables involved. Unfortunately, while pits are awesome dogs, many in maturity are not the best with other dogs...awesome with people, but not always other dogs. Also....those are some pretty intense breeds.

And its 2 males? That can cause issues too. How long have they had the second dog?

If they want to keep them both, they should get a behaviorist involved asap.

If they need to rehome, I feel the newer dog should be rehomed for several reasons. First, you dont get a new dog and then replace the old one when it doesnt work out...its not the pit mixes fault they got a second dog. Second, it the pit mix is dog aggressive that makes it much harder to find a good home. And finally, pits and pit mixes already abound in rescue and in shelters. I do suggest if they rehome they do it through a reputable rescue.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#3 of 3 Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. It makes a lot of sense.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page