any suggestions for getting cat pee out of carpet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pet stores have products that are good.

One is called something like "Mother's Helper". It's an enzyme that will break down the urine. You have to completely soak the area, then let it dry, then vacuum up the residue. You have to use it quickly - the enzymes die off in the bottle after some time.

Amway also has a product called "Try-Zyme" - it's a laundry additive that is an enzyme pre-soak. You can mix the powder up with warm water and use it just like Mother's Helper, only way cheaper. And since you mix it up fresh, there's never a possibility of getting a bottle that is "dead". Note, this is an "off-label" use, or was the last time I checked.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Old 08-26-2010, 07:19 AM

nature's miracle works

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
half very hot water & half white vinegar
apply , let it dry
Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 PM

I can't get the link to work...so google "Cats of Australia" and there is a recipie for getting out cat pee.

This works. After my son was born, one of my cats was very upset about it and peed on EVERYTHING. Including our couch....2 times. This got the smell out and we still can use the couch. He was also peeing on the carpet behind the TV and this recipe took the smell out. It's cheap and easy too.

caffix.gif

Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 PM

If after you find a good clean solution but still have an odor problem... try my favorite household odor remover:

Anti Icky Poo

The names says it all LOL

It's a fabulous enzyme spray that works specifically for urine removal but can be used for any bio odor (smoke, puke, rotten veggies).

I have tried many enzyme cleaners and this is by FAR the best!

http://www.antiickypoo.com/

See their Stinky Articles for info on pet odor removal. Amazon.com has good prices if you cannot find it locally.

Rhianna
Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We use Bio-Kleen Bac-Out. It's an enzyme based cleaner.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 08-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Another vote for Bac-Out here. It works extremely well. It also does a great job on hair balls and kid puke.

I also use Arm & Hammer Oxy Strength Pet Odor & Stain Remover. It isn't the most natural thing in the world but it really works.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:03 PM

Another vote for Nature's Miracle. I'd use that or another enzyme cleaner.

Before I used it, I tried white vinegar and baking soda with a small amount of detergent and essential oils. Fail. I like the Nature's Miracle because it worked and now our house doesn't stink.
The previous renters had a cat and let it pee everywhere.

DS 6 DD 8
Old 08-27-2010, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post
I can't get the link to work...so google "Cats of Australia" and there is a recipie for getting out cat pee.
I looked it up and this is the same one I use, it's always worked really well. Better than the store bought products I've tried (Nature's Miracle, Kids N Pets).

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 08-27-2010, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the great tips. These are one i have tried -Nature's Miracle -Natures Ultimate Orange Cleaner and Bissell Pet & Odor Formula Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner. The bissell one has so far worked the best but there is still a little bit of a smell so i am going to try something else and work my way down the list until i find something i like
Old 08-27-2010, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post
If after you find a good clean solution but still have an odor problem... try my favorite household odor remover:

Anti Icky Poo

The names says it all LOL

It's a fabulous enzyme spray that works specifically for urine removal but can be used for any bio odor (smoke, puke, rotten veggies).

I have tried many enzyme cleaners and this is by FAR the best!

http://www.antiickypoo.com/

See their Stinky Articles for info on pet odor removal. Amazon.com has good prices if you cannot find it locally.

Rhianna
cool
I just read that i could get this in canada
Old 08-27-2010, 08:23 AM

The enzymes are the way to go so it goes through carpet,pad,and sub floor. I would use a variety of products just to be sure.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:07 PM

When I used the Nature's Miracle, it still took FOREVER to get all the pee out. Also several rolls of paper towels. I think the stain spread out more too. That was super fun. Not.
I would think that a carpet cleaner (wet vac) would be awesome to try in between cleanings to get out as much as possible. I honestly don't think there is just one perfect solution (although I don't recommend any lemon scented pet stain removers- I used one and it made the room smell like lemon candy AND cat pee).

DS 6 DD 8
Old 08-28-2010, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
when i used the nature's miracle, it still took forever to get all the pee out. Also several rolls of paper towels. I think the stain spread out more too. That was super fun. Not.
I would think that a carpet cleaner (wet vac) would be awesome to try in between cleanings to get out as much as possible. I honestly don't think there is just one perfect solution (although i don't recommend any lemon scented pet stain removers- i used one and it made the room smell like lemon candy and cat pee).
:d
Old 08-28-2010, 09:00 AM

When my cat was having problems peeing around our house, we tried all kinds of enzyme treatments. They really didn't get the odor out of the carpet. Finally I went and got something called Odorxit. It's expensive and the initial smell to it was quite strong, but it was the only thing that worked for us. After the scent went away, so did the urine smell that was embedded in our carpet. I used the concentrate and put in the carpet cleaner.

You have to follow the instructions to a "tee", but it worked. Actually, I just purchased it again for our "new" home (we found some surprises around the house when we moved in).

SAHM to a set of beautiful twins :, one beautiful angel baby (baby c), and one crazy furbaby :
Old 08-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nature's Miracle.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 PM

Nature's Miracle - soak the area, then go over it with a Rug Doctor.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 AM

Is the area being soiled again and again or is this a one time mess?

If the various cleaners and enzyme solutions are not working, I'd suggest you pull back the carpet and pray for plywood subfloor and not beautiful hardwood floors! If the smell has soaked into the subfloor, there is a product called BIN, made by Zinsser. It's a white pigmented shellac paint. It's a primer (undercoat for paint) and is a vapor barrier. Clean and prep the floor properly and paint it. It will seal in the odor and prevent it from returning.
Now, if the cat is continuing to pee, you've got a much bigger picture!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
Old 08-30-2010, 03:33 AM

Move to Pets!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 08-31-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
Is the area being soiled again and again or is this a one time mess?

If the various cleaners and enzyme solutions are not working, I'd suggest you pull back the carpet and pray for plywood subfloor and not beautiful hardwood floors! If the smell has soaked into the subfloor, there is a product called BIN, made by Zinsser. It's a white pigmented shellac paint. It's a primer (undercoat for paint) and is a vapor barrier. Clean and prep the floor properly and paint it. It will seal in the odor and prevent it from returning.
Now, if the cat is continuing to pee, you've got a much bigger picture!
it was a one time thing
Old 09-01-2010, 01:34 AM

Orange TKO http://tkoorange.com/ works better than any expensiver pet enzyme cleaner that Ive ever tried.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 AM

I have used Urine off in the past and i really liked the way it worked. I had three cats and of course over the years i have had accidents, the worst was on my couch!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt want to get rid of my couch so i had to try things, i went and got urine off and even though i went through alot of it , it worked very well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to soak up the urine with paper towel until you get out as much as you can, then i soaked the spot with the urine off, let it sit for a while and then soak it up with paper towel , then i soaked it again and let it dry on there, then soaked it again and let it dry, i think it has a nice smell. I was able to keep the couch and you can not smell cat urine at all, which is important,lol

User Tag List