Fleas! and my poor, OLD infested bunny! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-31-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both my cat and bun have fleas, as does my house. I am working on a gameplan and reading old threads here. But I am wondering what can be done about my bunny. We have sprayed her twice recently (along with combing and washing) with a pyrithium (sp?) based flea spray for bunnies. Cat got frontline which does not seem to be working, need to try something else. But back to the bunny - she is Covered in fleas and flea poop, poor thing! She is also ancient (11 years, beyond normal lifespan of norwegian dwarf) and I do not know how much more she can stand. She shakes like a leaf and wheezes everytime we have to treat or wash her.

Ideas???

(btw - both bun and cat live indoors, cat sneak out sometimes when I'm not looking, bringing the fleas back in.)

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

#2 of 4 Old 08-31-2010, 04:08 PM

I have no bunny experience but you might consider food-grade diatomaceous earth rubbed into her fur. It's harmless to non-insects but the shells cut insect bodies (but not animal flesh). So it's not a chemical treatment and might be better for your bunny.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#3 of 4 Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 PM

Here is what I found on the House Rabbit Society page:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/groom.html#Fleas

Quote:

Fleas and Mites

Safe treatments to prevent and kill fleas on rabbits include Advantage (imidocloprid), Program (lufenuron) and Revolution (selamectin).

It is essential to thoroughly clean your rabbit's cage and exercise areas after each treatment to control reinfestation, since fur and dander in the environment may contain mite eggs.

A flea comb is a non-toxic device that takes more patience, but is both physically and psychologically rewarding. Most rabbits learn to love the attention of being flea combed, and it can be used as a supplement to your main flea-control program.
I've posted a selection, but there is more there to read. It also recommends that you do not give a bath to your bunny.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#4 of 4 Old 08-31-2010, 04:41 PM

For my bunnies I use Advantage.

The main thing is to treat the cat, rabbit, and clean like mad.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page